Sign in to follow this  
kabel

Battle of Trenton

Washington_Crossing_the_Delaware.png

description of the battle: wikipedia

washington and his man crossing the half-frozen deleware river:

sscn0713.jpg

on the other side, everything seems to be absolutely peacefull, no hessians in sight:

sscn0712.jpg

colonel johann rall and a few british officers are getting plastered in a nearby pub:

sscn0717.jpg

hessian privates on the watchout don't seem to take their duty too serious either: "let 'em come, aint notin' gonna happen anyway":

sscn0710.jpg

yet the americans are absolutely determined to turn things around:

sscn0711.jpg

so let the fighting begin:

sscn0707.jpg

hope you like it, i think it's my best moc so far, it's in thus far still a wip as i might redo the images, cronstructive criticism of course always welcome

Edited by Erdbeereis

This looks great. I especially like the ice and snow effect, good job! The only things I would change would be to add a few more boats with soldiers in them, and maybe an American flag. Great job on the tavern too.

:jollyroger:

Edited by Capt. Stabbin

This looks very nice, but why are the Hessians wearing Bluecoats?

edit-

I know there are no Greencoat torsos, but this is what the Hessians at Trenton were wearing,

hessian_yagers_field.jpg

Edited by General Redwater

the green coats are actually just the uniforms of the rangers(?) normal hessians wore blue coats with red applications as can be seen in this picture:

battle_of_trenton.jpg

they also had some very bizarre hats wich i'm not able to make. as for the flag, which one did they have in 76? i wasn't sure about it, thats why i choose the red one

Edited by kabel

I think that these flags designs could work:

The first flag of the continental army

grand-union-1776-b.gif

or the Betsy Ross flag

betsyross.gif

There are also some flags in the Lego Pirates master index on the discussion forum.

Hope this helps

The MOC itself is good.

But the background is a bit out of place. I think even just a white background, just using some paper, really improves your MOC.

And I would go for the Betsy Ross flag Capt. Stabbin showed you since it looks the most like the flag on the painting :pir-wink:

Good job :thumbup:

I know it is considered a battle (

Edit: something happened to the rest of the post...

Basically I was gonna say Use the Grand Union Flag, and Kabel is right, both the hessian officers and soldiers wore blue coats.

Edited by the_green_avenger

what do you mean? not enough action? well, i tought the crossing and the hessians being drunk (although i know that this is more of a legend) was the most interesting fact about this battle, that's why i choose to do it like this, if it's not enough, oh well, just consider it to be another moc, i don't really care

as for the background, i totally realized that myself when i loaded the pictures up, that's why i'm going to work on them, once i find the time, and thanx for the info about the flag, i'm quite suprised they actually had one at this point of the war

*snip*... and thanx for the info about the flag, i'm quite suprised they actually had one at this point of the war

Well, the Betsy Ross flag would be inaccurate to use since it didn't came to use until next year. That's just one of some faults in the painting :pir-wink:

The Grand Union flag would be a better choice unless you want to stick with the painting as reference.

A great MOC I must say, I like the river with the ice floes and the landscaping on the river bank is very nice. :thumbup:

I was really hoping someone would try this. Thank you! :pir-classic:

so i worked in your suggestions, thanks a lot. problem this time was the light tough, as it was raining today. so the colors appear somewhat faded, well i'm still too much of an analogous photographer ...

PS: more pics on brickshelf

Edited by kabel

so i worked in your suggestions, thanks a lot. problem this time was the light tough, as it was raining today. so the colors appear somewhat faded, well i'm still too much of an analogous photographer ...

PS: more pics on brickshelf

wait... so your already finished?!?

:pir_yoda:

well, i guess for today i am, i sort of ran out of ideas on how to improve, maybe the texture of the taverns wall would be something to work on, however, i got to much work to do, so i can't spend much more time with this project

I checked out your Brickshelf folder, and it looks great! Great job on the flag, it really adds alot to the MOC. The mini figs are nice too, they look ready for battle!

Definitely one of my favorites.

Sorry to say, but that's not exactly a battle... that's washington crossing the deleware...

the continental army accually landed some miles up the river from the hessians' base, then marched on it.

I'm not saying the MOC isn't good (It's great! Really!) I'm just saying, that if you want it to be accurate, you'll have to change it...

Edited by the_green_avenger

Sorry to say, but that's not exactly a battle... that's washington crossing the deleware...

the continental army accually landed some miles up the river from the hessians' base, then marched on it.

I'm not saying the MOC isn't good (It's great! Really!) I'm just saying, that if you want it to be accurate, you'll have to change it...

I doesn't have to be 100% accurate, it just has to be based on a historical event.

I'm absolutely aware of the fact, that washington landed some 16 miles further up river, at what's now called washington's crossing. I'm also aware, that the hessian privates weren't quite as drunk as always depicted. However, the battle itself was actually rather unspectacular with the hessians fleeing in terror and the americans running behind them, only having two casualties due to frozen feet. What's left in the public imagination though (in the us as well as here in hessia) is Washington crossing the river and Rall ignoring all warnings because he was too busy gambling and drinking with some British officers. That's why i choose to put these two events, actually taking place miles apart from each other, into one moc. Maybe we should let the jury decide whether it's within the rules or not. If not fine, as I know my limitations, I wasn't considering winning 1st or 2nd anyway, and did this moc in order to improve my skills. So long, kabel

I really like this entry, it shows a lot of initiative to attempt something as famous to american history as this, and I'd say you did a pretty dang good job! I like all the different details, and the river turned out well too. Well done indeed mate, good luck in the contest, and keep bricking! :thumbup:

Maybe we should let the jury decide whether it's within the rules or not. If not fine, as I know my limitations, I wasn't considering winning 1st or 2nd anyway, and did this moc in order to improve my skills. So long, kabel

All right, I'll accept that...

It's a nice MOC... so I won't say anything else...

This is fine, as it clearly is part of a battle, just slightly before the battle is to take place. That's a good take on the contest theme, so you're good to go. :pir-classic:

I would definitely consider re-taking the pictures though, that would certainly present your entry better. Should I remove the WIP from the title for you?

keep it wip, i gues i'll retake the pictures in the next days, still waitin' for sunshine though ...