Klaus-Dieter

2011 themes and sets?

Hello everybody! :classic:

Since all sets of the first half of this year are already out and we've already seen a lot of reviews of the sets of the second half of 2010, we now know - apart from some exclusive sets - nearly all sets of this year.

Nevertheless it's regrettably about two months until rumours, information and pics about sets of the first half of next year will appear. So I thought it would be interesting to know what you think we might get in 2011 for new themes and new sets (please stay realistic, this should be no wishlist but a topic where you post what you think we might see next year).

So what do you think we might get as new themes and new sets in 2011?

Here are my thoughts:

Duplo

Creator

?Cars (System)

Technic

Racers

?World Racers

Castle

a completely new fraction or only three additional sets to the already existing fractions?

City

police hq, police mobile command unit, police boat, police quad (all (confirmed)

zoo theme?

cargo harbor, "civilian harbor", yacht?

bank, post office, supermarket?

sheep grazing land, horse stables, tractor with manure-barrel and/or other agricultural apparat?

Exclusive: City Square?

?City Trains

additional City Train set (e. g. a depot)?

?Toy Story 1-3

?Prince of Persia

Hero Factory

?Space Police

Pirates of the Caribbean

NinjaGo

CC styled building

bank or post office or ...?

Star Wars

OT: regular TIE Fighter, X-Wing, MF and a set with a Bantha and Tusken Raiders?

OT Exclusive: Cloud City?

Collectable Minifigures Series 3 and 4

?Egypts

Multimedia and Games

Architecture

Others and Accessory

Reason for edit: Updating list.

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

I say we'll probably get a LEGO store, Because of the LEGO truck and the container from the new cargo train!

I will keep my fingures crossed :tongue:

awesomebrick

I think we'll get a new faction in castle or at the very least a revamp of the original ones, new as the theme may be. This seems to be the way to go nowadays.

There could possibly be a Star trek theme since theres suppose to be a sequel from the 2009 film. Which would bring the popularity up again.

LegoGalactus

Edited by LegoGalactus

I hope they continue the Toy Story theme. :cry_happy: And I think they will, but just for one or two more waves. But for some reason I feel there gonna make more Ben 10 sets.. :sceptic:

Also, Pirates of the Caribiean (I never know how to spell it) is a very likely theme, as it might be the PoP of 2011. And of course there will be at least 1-3 new original themes in January, (I have a feeling there gonna bring back Johnny Thunder!) and another 1-3 in the Summer. And, of course, they're gonna have more of the Collectable Minifigures. :classic:

I say we'll probably get a LEGO store, Because of the LEGO truck and the container from the new cargo train!

I will keep my fingures crossed :tongue:

awesomebrick

I really hope that you're right, awesomebrick!

The only doubt I have is the question why then TLG doesn't already release a Lego Store this year (since there are already a Lego Truck and a Lego container)?! (To comparison: The Garage wasn't released one year after the Towtruck and the Sports Car.)

And of course there will be at least 1-3 new original themes in January, (I have a feeling there gonna bring back Johnny Thunder!) and another 1-3 in the Summer. And, of course, they're gonna have more of the Collectable Minifigures. :classic:

Good point here, just2good!

I totally forgot about the Collectable Minifigures. I added them in my first post. I, too, could well imagine TLG giving us a third and maybe even a fourth wave of collectable minifigures.

But more than 1-3 themes can only appear in the year as whole - not 6 new sets in one year.

About Johnny Thunder: I already wondered if TLG even had in mind to test a market for a new Adventures theme when releasing those two IJ lines. So might well be.

I'd say that the (re-)introduction of a new historical theme will depend very much on how next year's Castle theme will look like. If TLG doesn't release any new fraction but only some more sets on the lions and dragons, it's very supposably that we'll see a new historical theme (imo either Western, Romans or Adventures since these three are the most popular - and Pirates was already done last year). But if the Castle theme will get another new fraction with a lot of new sets in 2011, it's very unlikely that we'll see a new historical theme.

Klaus-Dieter

I bet the new Castle faction will be a Forestmen revamp. There will be a Hunter's Lodge still in 2010 (a civilian building that will spin off the whole Forestmen subtheme in 2011). The Forestmen may even be Elves, a long fan-demanded fantasy race. Oh well.

The Imperials (Pirates theme, not the Star Wars ones) will get more buildings, probably a new Eldorado Fortress - and a new ship.

As for the other sets, I'm not sure. I believe we'll have more buildings in the Green Grocer and Café Corner line, although I have no idea what these will be.

I'll just cross my fingers now. Bye. :classic:

Well, I feel Kingdom's will get bigger, of course Star Wars keeps on heading forward with Clone Wars and aimming at the 30th of Return Of The Jedi.

Space police - I'm not sure if that will go on or not, though if Lego bring out Ben10 in SYSTEM (minifig scale) would be a good follow on from SP3.

City - of course we'll see the return of either a medical sub-theme or yes, I say it POLICE, hopefully some more shops or a like would be nice, we are overdue for another bank and/or post office.

I would say around September/October we'll start seeing seek peek pictures of 2011 gear right ?

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Above all I hope Space Police 3 continues next year, even just a final wave in January to send the theme off but I doubt it.

Western would certainly be welcome but we have to look at how Lego sets are today compared to how they were back in Western's time - A fair amount of Lego's sets in most themes are vehicle related, whereas the core of Western's sets were more "playsets" buildings, scenes, locations really, very few vehicles. Also, it's hard to see how the Western sets would stack up faction wise. Lego's very fond of having two distinct factions as of recent, it's hard to see two "good" and "evil" factions, really. Bandits versus The Law? possibly. Cowboys versus "indians" (Native Americans) highly unlikely.... I don't know, that's just my opinion - Western's just too different to the kinds of sets Lego is releasing nowadays, though I hope I'm wrong.

Hopefully that made sense.

Hero Factory will likely continue.

Star Wars of course...

But if Space Police has now finished then I hope for another Space theme, with a focus more on exploration and adventure rather than conflict or "factions".

What I think would be interesting, would be a theme similar to the Competition Technic sets of the nineties, but as a system theme although I suppose World Racers is similar in a few regards.

I hope I've contributed something towards this great topic, and I for one can't wait until the first blurry catalogue scans or whatever is is we usually get. Even Rumours would suffice!

Will/Rocketbilly

In the TECHNIC theme, I predict that there will be a "Super Car III" set -- one which is a FLAGSHIP with ~1,500 parts and Power Functions driving motors. It will have full remote-control steering and 2-speed transmission, independent suspension, gullwing doors, V-8 or V-10 engine, etc. -- a worthy successor to the 8880 "Super Car" set from 1994 and the 8448 "Super Street Sensation/ Super Car Mk II" set from 1999. :blush:

8880-1.1105127518.thumb2.jpg8448-1.1207268519.thumb2.jpg

I see a Pirates of the Caribbean license in 2011.

I agree with that. I also think there's plenty left for the Indiana Jones line to do and it was just put on hiatus for a year for Prince of Persia (well I hope so anyway). It's definitely time for some more medical city sets.

Also maybe the farm line will get another year.

Slim chance of this but maybe a Chronicle of Narnia line with the Disney license. 3 Movies to choose sets from.

Please stay realisitic!

This topic is not for telling us your wishes for next year's sets - but to tell us what you think we'll get for themes and sets next year (although sometimes of course wishes and guesses go hand in hand).

According to City:

Do you think that we'll get again a CG theme or a hospital theme or a RESQ theme?

I fear that we won't see a new hospital. The last one seemed to be not that popular. But having it on a hill and including only that few rooms and minifigs it was (although it was imo nevertheless great) a bit unappealing and not that interesting.

As for CG: I don't know. If there will be some new Harbor sets in 2011 (?) then it would be likely.

On the other hand the RESQ theme has been making a pause for a very long time and I bet that kids would surely like to get a mountain rescue team with heli.

According to Kingdoms:

Do you think that TLG will introduce one or two new fractions (e. g. fox knights, forestmen, ...) or release only a few sets based on the fractions of this year (and then will come up with new fractions in 2012)?

According to a new historical theme:

Do you think that even if TLG included a new Kingdoms fraction in 2011 or at least even if they released another big line of sets in 2011, there will be a chance that we'll get another historical theme (Western, Adventures or Romans are imo the most likely)?

Klaus-Dieter

I say they'll probably add on two more factions to kingdoms.

Like what they did with fantasy!

Regarding STARWARS I'd say we'll get an exclusive Cloud City!

It would be an awesome set!

Even better than the old one with all the new peices and stuff we've been getting the past few years!

Regarding STARWARS I'd say we'll get an exclusive Cloud City!

It would be an awesome set!

Even better than the old one with all the new peices and stuff we've been getting the past few years!

I totally agree with you, BrickClick!

But in which size and price range do you expect it? Similar in size and price to the DS or less?

I personally can't think of that many locations and minifigs in Cloud City than in the DS - so it might supposably a bit smaller (maybe 250 Euros/Dollars?). The point is even how it will be designed: With the DS it was much easier since it is some sort of ball. But CC is the biggest on top and is the smallest at the bottom.

Do you think that if TLG released a CC (which is imo very supposably) there will only be one or two small OT sets in 2011 (like it was in 2008 with the DS, too)?

Klaus-Dieter

I'd say that if they released a CC it would be around 100-140 Euros and would be just a bit larger than the Home one mon calamari.

It would probably include updated versions of the figs that were included in the original as well as a Lobot or something like that.

City seems to be doing more Trains again, so I predict more train related sets. Possibly Hospital again (last seen about 3 or 4 years ago) and hopefully Farm expansion.

Star Wars... Well, all that is left to do is Endor battlepacks, so I think they'll be for next year.

Castle should be more for the Dragon Knights, what with their lack of fortifications.

Not sure about the others, I hope World Racers has another wave of sets (at better prices).

I don't know the odds of Indiana Jones returning next year, but I'm really hoping for it, and I do think that between the likely discontinuation of the Prince of Persia theme and the 30th anniversary of the original Indy adventure, there are certainly reasonable grounds for considering it. For what it's worth, it's the one thing I most hope to see from LEGO next year.

Beyond that, who knows? I think it's a given there's going to be some new original action-based theme in some sort of exotic / fantastic / sci-fi-based milieu launched that'll run a couple years or so - this general idea seems to be one they use every year, after all - but what form it'll take I don't know.

My predictions for ongoing themes: Star Wars will focus mostly on the Clone Wars, with a smattering of "classic trilogy"-era sets; City will focus mostly on police and firefighters. :p ;) I imagine Belville will be updated with a new subtheme, and I'm guessing the next Cafe Corner-style modular building will be a library or theater. I don't have a reason for the latter guess; it just feels like a good time for it, to me.

As far as Kingdoms goes, I hope to see a new faction or two introduced in the same way as the Dwarves and Trolls were around the Holidays a few years back. For City, I foresee a revamp of the usual(fire station, police station, etc). Hero Factory will probably continue, considering how it's the successor to Bionicle and we all know how long that line lasted. With Star Wars I'd like to see another MF(we haven't had a non UCS version in years), along with a classic TIE fighter.

Just my 2 cents.

From a Licensed point of view, neither Indy nor PoP will be back in 2011. They can't seem to give the Indy sets away and PoP had disappointing box office - those sets will be off shelves within months (although still available from S@H for a while yet). I doubt there will be more releases in any of these themes or Toy Story unless there is a high-profile movie to support sales.

I have no idea of how Ben10 is doing - I imagine if it had been a staggering success we would have seen another wave in summer. Waiting 12 months after the initial release doesn't make sense to me if this really was a success :wacko:

Looking ahead, there's a US Licensed fair in October which should tell us more. I can't see a POTC theme not happening, frankly.

In City I'd love to see a proper Hospital - by 2011 it will have been 5 years since the last one.

I have no idea about Kingdoms. The Fantasy line started well in 2007 with the big castle, medium enemy tower, and lots of smaller, more realistically-sized vehicle sets, but quickly devolved into giant assault wagons and enormous battle wheels, so who knows? I think it is unlikely we'll get an Elf faction since Dragons already have the dark green/ woody colour scheme.

Space Police/ Power Miners won't last next year, but there will be another Action Theme/ Space Theme to replace either one. Atlantis and World Racers will surely continue in some form.

I have no idea of how Ben10 is doing - I imagine if it had been a staggering success we would have seen another wave in summer. Waiting 12 months after the initial release doesn't make sense to me if this really was a success

Well, I despise the theme with a passion. But I think that the plan was not to have a summer release since before the first sets were up. Actually about a month ago was the first time my region actually had LEGO Ben 10 ads on cable. I think they are just taking it slowly and it is still early to know how of a success or failure it is.

In the City catagory I would like to have:

1. An ice cream van

2. A school bus

3. A 4WD with caravan that has a removable roof and interior!