Sign in to follow this  
CrazyPirate

Classic Pirates Or POTC?

223 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of LEGO pirates do you prefer?

• Classic Pirates
    • Pirates of the Caribbean
    • I like them both together, flesh with yellow doesn't bother me.

Please don't post right after yourself when you could have edited your first post, thank you.

With that said I thought there was a thread like this already, if I find it I'll merge it, until then I'll add a poll.

I prefer flesh-covered heads and the detail on some of the POTC minifigs and models is superb, so I guess I'm going to vote for that, even though I would prefer flesh-covered generic pirates with some of the advances made in the POTC theme (eg scabbards). Maybe in the future?

Edited by TeufelHund

"Classic" says it all !

Classic cars, movies and pirates are always better IMO.

I've still collected most of the PotC sets (and love them) but for me they are not in the same league....like apples and pears.

Sorry Classic Pirates but I have to vote for POTC.

The ships in POTC look so cool. Look at the QAR, look at the BB. There is a huge difference in the detail of the ships. Even if you compare the BOB or SES (which are both better designed), the QAR is still miles ahead when it comes to looks.

I agree that the POTC sets and characters are well designed, but they're maybe a little too detailed for my taste... I prefer the generic style of the Classic Pirates. I like the way you can build distinctive and unique characters out of a combination of generic pirate minifig pieces, but Jack Sparrow's legs, torso, head and hair will always belong to Jack Sparrow.

I simply voted for both, why ?.....again a simple answer.

Classic pirates is a simple child-like play theme and POTC is a fantastic theme with excellent accessories which could cross-over into the classic pirates world.

Keep on drinking that rum everyone ! :pir-grin:

I voted classic. Thus far, the sets from that era are far superior to the new POTC line. El Dorado's fortress or Imperial Trading Post is far "cooler" in my opinion than is Whitecap Bay. BSB or SES are superior to QAR.

Now long term, I think POTC has some potential for some really killer sets, and I'll keep picking a few of them up. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with Black Pearl, and hope for an Intercepter in 2012.

Classic pirates is a simple child-like play theme and POTC is a fantastic theme with excellent accessories which could cross-over into the classic pirates world.

Very, very well put, that mirrors my thoughts pretty closely.

I can't stand fleshies, they clash way too much for me. I do like all the new accessories that came with the PotC theme though. Unfortunately for Blackbeard however, his QAR is going to be given to another pirate at some point :D

This is easy for me, Classic all the way! That being said there are some new parts that I will use from POTC with my MOCS.

Of course classic is amazing, but a combination of both isn't too bad. If we look at the buildings of POTC they look amazing compared to classic pirate buildings also the minifigs look amazing. I voted for them both.

:jollyroger:

I don't like the suggestion that yellow has to be mixed with 'fleshies' simply because one likes both themes.

There are pro's and con's to each:

• the licensed theme both expands LEGO ingenuity and minimises its scope at the same time.

How? While I love the new pieces made specifically for POTC which can now be grounded in other themes respectively, pirates will only last so long and the well of scenes from these films could dry up after they've all been conceptualised in LEGO form already. I suppose the antithesis to that would be the Harry Potter theme, but considering the fact LEGO got its licensing foot in the door from the outset, over the course of the films there have been various reinterpretations of scenes, I suppose the end of the films will define whether a Harry Potter license can continue, and the same goes for POTC LEGO.

• While I'm tempted to vote solely "Classic" Pirates, if the recent Pirate LEGO return is anything to go by then I really can't see my wanting to return, particularly since POTC raised the threshold.

In hindsight the 2009 wave in my opinion was poor in comparison to the Classic Pirates sets, and while I cannot default LEGO for removing this theme considering it bridged the new POTC LEGO, what I was dismayed with the 2009 sets was the seemingly 'updated version' of some of the best Classic sets. I would have liked if something different had been imagined for a Pirate theme that had been in hiatus, and then perhaps introducing similar elements from the original sets later but this was not the case.

My answer will be impartial, but only because LEGO Pirates regardless whether they're classic or POTC themes means continuity for the best theme that ever came out of LEGO.

Pirates, like knights/wizards; spacemen/aliens; and cowboys/Indians, have been mythologised so much that it would be a pity not to jump on this theme. Themes that have pushed the frontiers of World history, and as refection of humanity's imagination should continue to inspire children in their own imaginative endeavours.

A brick is a brick, but until you give it a context that is when you breathe life into imagination.

I'm strongly going to have to argue for Classic. Without our great 1989 release date where would Pirates be? To me, nothing can take away from the grandour of these original sets. Of course, I think for many AFOL there is more sentimentality behind it than anything else. Not that this licensed theme, or any other for that matter isnt astounding, it is, but give me my yellow, classic pirates with a monkey and a parrot and I'm all set.

I like the movie "PotC." But Lego "PotC" are not very interesting for me. I do not know why. :pirate_sad2:

And I always liked the classic-Lego-pirates...

So. My vote for the first item.

POTC Has many great and usage parts for Classic Pirates. So i voted "I like them both" But i don agree at if you put a fleshie torso and yellow hea together, then yes, it brothers me alot! I hope Callis Pirates does have some of these new pieces and prints when TLC starts to do that theme.

Captain Becker

I would have said PoTC because I prefer the QAR to any of the regular pirate ships**, but with the prelim BP photo that may be the only PoTC ship I can say that about.

**Except for the new Imperial Flagship

I would have said PoTC because I prefer the QAR to any of the regular pirate ships**, but with the prelim BP photo that may be the only PoTC ship I can say that about. However, CP has had a lot of years to round out that world, its just a more robust feeling; PoTC only has sets relating to the movie while CP has a wider range of sets that make up a pirate world.

**Except for the new Imperial Flagship

I totally agree! :sweet:

I vote classic!

Flesh colored mini-figures never really settled right for me. They look cool when they are alone on their sets, but often clash with the majority of the mini-figures in the Lego collection. Since I like combining all my pieces, that was the majority of the decision for me.

Also, I feel I get more for my money with the classic sets. POTC may have fancier parts and everything, but the classics just give me a better sense of value which is hard to explain I guess.

Overall, I am more satisfied with the classic sets, but I may pick up some of the POTC sets just for the pieces.

I voted PotC. The minifigs are so awesome. I can't stand looking at my yellow pirate horde after getting all these fleshies. The colors you get for peices is way more realistic than classic pirates. All the new stuff in the PotC sets makes the old pirates look very dated.