Hello to everyone :sweet:

I present you my last creation : Strange Fruit an adaptation of a poem / of a song in Lego.

17508815243_b8aff65b1b_c.jpgStrange Fruit (Illustration of Adel Meeropol's poem) by TheBrickAvenger, sur Flickr

Southern trees bear a strange fruit

Blood on the leaves and blood at the roots

Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze

Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees

Pastoral scene of the gallant South

The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth

Scent of magnolia sweet and fresh

Then the sudden smell of burning flesh

Here is a fruit for the crows to pluck

For the rain to gather for the wind to suck

For the sun to rot fort the trees to drop

Here is a strange and bitter crop

Composed by (aka Lewis Allan) 1937

------------------------------------

Deeplinks : 1-2-3-4

------------------------------------

Following the lynching of Thomas Shipp and Abram Smith , the sad but famous photo of their murder marked many people of whom Abel Meeropol. He wrote then in 1937 the poem Strange Fruit, the real hurting indictment of the lynching, which he published under Lewis Allan's pen name in the magazine "New York Teacher" and the communist newspaper " New Masses ". A little later, he put the poem in music. This poem was finally taken back by the Afro-American singer Billie Holiday who interpreted it for the first time in the Café Society in New York in 1939. This poem counts among the artistic indictments of the lynchings usually practised in the South of the United States.

The term " strange fruit " moreover became synonymic of lynching.

Here is thus my interpretation of this poem, in particular inspired by the movie " Of Mice and Men ", I voluntarily wished to add it members of the Ku Klux Klan who were at the origin of numerous lynchings...

The Art, under all its forms, allows to express the creativity, to deliver messages, to educate, to illustrate, to depict, but also to denounce, to criticize, and not to forget, Lego is art.

I hope you will like it and I look forward to having your notices :blush:

I don't know.

I think by attaching to an actual historic moment, you may be trying to lend it a weight, or gravity, that on its own, it doesn't inherently have. I think by being more open-ended in your composition, using the same title, but letting the audience make its own connections to it, rather than in holding them hostage to the lyrics and the history lesson, it would've been better. People are much smarter and more sympathetic to history than you may give them credit for - especially in a creative, and worldly, forum such as this one is.

And I think you've done a disservice to LEGO ghosts, by casting them into a such a role based upon resemblance alone. Kind'a hypocritical, isn't it...?

Again, I don't know. But, by delving into such subject matter, you are in every way already prepared, I assume, for the kinds of responses you may be receiving.

Art, when used to respond to social questions, should be done so "artistically'. I think this is, in some ways, too simple, too straightforward, and too "un-artful" an approach. I realize that often, our emotions demand an emotional response - but if that response is entirely emotional, and lacks reason, it may come across as brash. And finesse, not brashness, gets people's attention more so, because it catches their logic unaware to their curiosity.

I have liked, and admired each of your builds - but this one leaves me wanting. Void of the context you've given to it, there's not much there but a really, really nice tree, wanting something very different to be aesthetic for...

Just my two cents. You put it out there.

I don't know what notaromanic is talking about. This is a great piece and works very well in both build and message. The artistry and use of color to depict such a violent and poignant scene.

Wow this is a pretty dark subject matter. The scene itself is great, the tree looks very nice and I really like how you made the fields of crops.

a disservice to LEGO ghosts

Umm... lego ghosts aren't really things you can do a "disservice" to, but anyway, I love haw you've made the base and the tree. The corn field really stands out, you've obviously put a lot of thought in to this. Nice work.

I think that it's undeniable the quality of the build itself- from the tree, to the base, and the crops- but I have to agree with notaromantic. This is quite a literal take on the source material. What are you adding to the piece or to the subject? Does your piece show a viewpoint or have an opinion? To me, without the narrative, it's just a lynching in lego. Now, this is not to be accusatory, so I preface this because we're only reading my text. That being said, what were your motivations for your creation? What draws you to this poem? To me, this poem for lack of a better term, sensationalizes lynching. I suppose you could say it's matter of fact at best, but something about this is off-putting. It might be the hanging and burned black men.

I don't know what notaromanic is talking about.

Come on now, Wolfe....you can't honestly say you don't understand why this piece would evoke an uneasy/negative response due to the subject matter.

The build itself is good from a technical standpoint, but the subject matter is a poor choice.

The build techniques are very good. The tree and base really stand out, and what little can be seen of the crops looks nice. As for the subject matter - obviously it will be controversial to say the least and even offensive to some. I'm a white male in the south and it makes me uncomfortable - anyone with any knowledge of American history can tell at a glance what this portrays, with or without the accompanying text. I agree with the thought "...to educate, to illustrate, to depict, but also to denounce, to criticize, and not to forget..." I realize I took the last four words out of context, but the entire statement says so much and above all we shouldn't forget those things even if they are painful. Recognizing that some people (African-Americans primarily) may be offended, I would like to politely remind everyone that violent, murderous depictions of any type are offensive or distasteful to many people regardless of race. As long as the intention falls within the aforementioned quote I don't have too big a problem with it... but glorifying or sensationalizing the act should be avoided. The poem comes very close to that. Would I build this? No, absolutely not. But I caution against overreacting as long as the intention is reasonable. After all, the site guidelines warn new members that site content is for mature individuals. That says a lot. Few people are bold enough to depict the KKK. I suppose fewer still are bold enough to show multiple blacks swinging from a big tree. It's ugly, plain and simple. But our history is full of ugly moments and we shouldn't refuse to face it. To do so would be the ultimate expression of political correctness. So, to recap: it will be offensive to many people but a historically-correct depiction of this nature isn't automatically a poor choice of material. The Holocaust is hardly favorable to Jews... but most sensible people don't want to forget it either. The build is well done but the subject is truly a bit upsetting - which is exactly as it should be.

I felt that the build does not tell me what the builder makes of the event depicted. That is very unsettling. The ghosts as stand ins for the KKK come across as comical though. I would recommend just completely white minifigs instead.

I saw this when it was initially posted and my first thought was to report it. Instead I decided to wait and see the reactions of others.

At this point I think it is shocking but adds nothing to the conversation of lynching in either the historical context or the white fear of blacks in the U.S. which in my opinion is driving the current spate of whites killing unarmed blacks in "self defense".

LEGO is art and can be used to move people emotionally on an important topic. I just feel that it fails to do so here.

While your build is very good, I recommend that you avoid depicting things like this on a public forum in the future. I understand what you are trying to get across, it's just that something like this isn't really fit for a Lego forum.

Also, it's best to avoid treading around sensitive topics because............ they're sensitive. :wink:

While your build is very good, I recommend that you avoid depicting things like this on a public forum in the future. I understand what you are trying to get across, it's just that something like this isn't really fit for a Lego forum.

Also, it's best to avoid treading around sensitive topics because............ they're sensitive. :wink:

I have to disagree here, and this has no bearing on my opinion-good or bad- of this build. I don't think he has to avoid his depiction on a public forum here at Eurobricks. It is clear that this is an adult site and that there may be mature builds. Under 18 year olds shouldn't be here. It can fit in a Lego forum if one believes that Lego can be art. Whether or not one finds this to be art is a different story. Finally, I also wouldn't avoid sensitive topics because someone out there might be uncomfortable. Anything anyone makes has that potential and I'm not going to tell this guy that he's been censored. It's up to the poster to exercise taste and judgement, but based on the rules, he certainly can post this.

I felt that the build does not tell me what the builder makes of the event depicted. That is very unsettling. The ghosts as stand ins for the KKK come across as comical though. I would recommend just completely white minifigs instead.

I saw this when it was initially posted and my first thought was to report it. Instead I decided to wait and see the reactions of others.

At this point I think it is shocking but adds nothing to the conversation of lynching in either the historical context or the white fear of blacks in the U.S. which in my opinion is driving the current spate of whites killing unarmed blacks in "self defense".

LEGO is art and can be used to move people emotionally on an important topic. I just feel that it fails to do so here.

A Lego build, like all art forms doesn't necessarily need to show what the artist thinks, many pieces of art are purely done to recreate a scene. This one, I believe,is a beautifully macabre artistic recreation. I agree with the builder, it is important not to forget. History isn't all chivalric knights and virtuous maidens. Personally, the unsettling nature of the build is perfect for the scene depicted. Well done to the builder. You depict what you want, don't let people tell you what you can and can't build.

Its a good build, but I dont think it really needed a description.

Bad stuff happens all over the world, I dont think Lego is the place to portray it. Whats next? Maybe the Rawandan Genocide could be your next build. I personally like Lego because it is an escape for me from the realities of the world. Im a vet, ive been all over and seen alot. Lego should be kept out of politics and kept out of such histories. But thats just me and my opinion.

I see I'm not the only one revisiting this subject. I respectfully disagree with Jreacher regarding the description. While I think the poem is offensive in nature I realize it is historic - good or bad - and with no description whatsoever I just might have concluded that TheBrickAvenger is a raging, skin-head, neo-Nazi, KKK-wannabe white supremacist (and maybe he is - but I doubt it). I also find the idea that "Lego should be... kept out of such histories" a bit troubling. Obviously racism is a problem by itself. And it seems obvious to me that violence is a problem by itself. Yet countless murders and other brutal atrocities have been posted elsewhere on Eurobricks and no one blinks an eye - until race plays a role. Why? Because we as a society accept violent depictions (real or especially imagined) even though we claim to abhorr violence in real settings besides war. It's getting complicated, right? Unfortunately history is one long violent story and studying it means we will necessarily be exposed to many uncomfortable or offensive situations. The fact is, I generally find ALL violent depictions to be fundamentally offensive (I hinted at this in my previous post) but involving racism really takes it to another level. But I can't condemn the depiction entirely because it was real. If Lego should be kept free of such depictions I could add plenty more off-limits subject matter to the list. How about the World Wars? Both involved ethnic conflict. How about the American Civil War? Race played a central role. How about the Wild West? Just ask the natives. How about the Medieval Age, or the Age of Exploration, or the Colonial Age? All include violent acts against targeted ethnic groups. But these are all popular topics - both in Lego and other media. I think any respectful, educational depiction of historic events should be accepted - while glorification of offensive acts (whatever they may be) should be unacceptable, period. I understand racism is a problem, but I also understand violence is another problem. The difference in how we react is simply political correctness, which quickly becomes unreasonable when taken to extremes. I don't mean to step on toes, but I caution viewers not to overreact - and likewise, I caution builders to consider what they're depicting. This subject matter probably wasn't the best thing to create - but I implore rational minds to prevail. I can't totally defend or totally oppose this depiction, and ultimately that is what makes it unsettling.

A Lego build, like all art forms doesn't necessarily need to show what the artist thinks, many pieces of art are purely done to recreate a scene. This one, I believe,is a beautifully macabre artistic recreation. I agree with the builder, it is important not to forget. History isn't all chivalric knights and virtuous maidens. Personally, the unsettling nature of the build is perfect for the scene depicted. Well done to the builder. You depict what you want, don't let people tell you what you can and can't build.

A couple years ago at a function, I met someone who told me of his time in the US Navy. He said one time where bad weather two gay men were pulled from their bunks and dropped overboard. They were reported lost at sea. He did not say that he took part in it or approved it. He did not say he was shocked or upset by it. The lack of context on his part was very unsettling.

I find this work very much the same thing. Some viewers might take this as an historical act that the artist approves. I am left baffled by the artists intent.

And lynching is not a topic that I think we can say that good people can come to different conclusions.

Unfortunately history is one long violent story and studying it means we will necessarily be exposed to many uncomfortable or offensive situations. The fact is, I generally find ALL violent depictions to be fundamentally offensive (I hinted at this in my previous post) but involving racism really takes it to another level. But I can't condemn the depiction entirely because it was real. If Lego should be kept free of such depictions I could add plenty more off-limits subject matter to the list. How about the World Wars? Both involved ethnic conflict. How about the American Civil War? Race played a central role. How about the Wild West? Just ask the natives. How about the Medieval Age, or the Age of Exploration, or the Colonial Age?...

I agree with this. It depends on how the subject manner is presented. Guilds of Historica, for example, is a fictional world by it does draw on historical analogy.

The only MOC in my signature, though, it based a real historic time, where the Romans were suppressing conquered Britannia. One culture was destroyed while a new fusion of culture was created. There was much atrocities during that time or any time of conquest.

But a MOC between Alied forces and Nazis could be seen as highlighting the struggle between good and evil. A MOC focusing on a specific atrocity could be celebrating it or denouncing it.

Edited by Blakstone

I agree with what Captain Dee said. We can build MOCs depicting gruesome violence and its fine, but as soon as racism is involved its taboo. Why is this? Here is an example of a MOC portraying a gruesome concept and story and it did not seem nearly as controversial as this one. Whats the difference? Racism is involved. Would people feel nearly as uncomfortable if instead The Brick Avenger built a MOC of Caribbean pirates hanging? What this scene depicts was a horrible time in our history that I wish never happened. But that doesn't mean it should be forgotten. I do not think TheBrickAvenger's intentions were to glorify the KKK in this MOC. I think its simple a well-made depiction, based on a poem, of a horrible time in USA history. Other brutal, violent MOCs have been made and everyone is fine with it. Lets at least be consistent.

Edited by Regenerate builder

I love the techniques, I must say--but I don't think it serves your subject matter. Let me explain:

If I only saw the image (or physical work) of this--without your description, without the poem, just the image--what would I think of it? What would I think of you, its creator?

Horrified, I would think that you had recreationally decided to depict a lynching. For fun.

The reason for that is that, while LEGO is certainly a viable art medium, it is first and foremost a toy. That doesn't mean it can only be used playfully, but it does mean that when you portray something as politically/emotionally loaded as this, you have to make a concerted effort to overcome the toy-like nature of the medium, which I think you have failed to do. The ghosts as Klansmen does not help your case, either.

The poem, for example, uses a normally positive image of fruit and but recasts it as something dark, sad, abject, which heightens the emotional response to the tragedy of the actual event. Your build here has the potential for the same, but doesn't create that horror that the poem does, and so the effect is not, perhaps, what you intended.

I wouldn't think of censoring this kind of build--quite the contrary, I think you are very brave for putting this out there, thank you for sharing!--but I do believe that the MOC itself isn't quite carrying the message you had hoped for. The poem and notes are essential to understanding your intent, but even then they don't quite make up for or fully explain what appears to be a playful scene.

This certainly is an offensive subject matter, but that is "art." It can make people feel uneasy. Now I don't agree with all forms of art, but to cast censorship on this, does cast censorship on history as a whole, which I don't think is possible. As stated, there are a lot of dark things in the past. We certainly shouldn't forget them and we certainly shouldn't repeat them.

With that said, the build is good. I love the tree trunk. I don't care much for the actual branches though.

I do think this build NEEDS the narrative of the poem/song. Without it, it appears someone wanted to hang some black LEGO figures. With it, it shows that it is recreating a horrible photo.

This certainly has created a response from the community.

Cool techniques! You've got some real big bricks if you're willing to do this kind of MOC.

Now I don't agree with all forms of art, but to cast censorship on this, does cast censorship on history as a whole, which I don't think is possible. As stated, there are a lot of dark things in the past. We certainly shouldn't forget them and we certainly shouldn't repeat them.

Very well put.

So heres my response to this:

I have a few thoughts on this ,the first one being the build itself. It is very well orchestrated and has a lot of wonderful techniques, particularly the tree and the wheat. Now for the content-Being an African American male from the deep south of the United States, my first reaction to this build is that it disturbed me. To see my hobby turned into a graphic illustration of my ancestor's history was and still is very unsettling. However, I am a person of logic and rationale, and my overall response is this: If we as lego enthusiasts can depict historical battles (Gary's "Battle of New Orleans" comes to mind), killing, theft and other forms of social disorder and violence in mankind's history, then this build should not be treated any different. This is causing such an outcry because it depicts a form of racial violence, however all historical violence depicted in these forums are a form of racial violence. From caucasians killing caucasians, to members of asian societies raiding and pillaging each other, to different races attacking each other in the Guilds of Historica and the Pirate forum, to this. Either we open all of history to interpretation with legos or we restrict everything, essentially it's all or nothing.

On top of that, I sense no malicious intent from this build or it's builder, only a wish to depict a historical scene, no matter how disturbing it may be. I am not saying I approve the content of this build by any means, all I'm saying is that to say that "You can't build or depict this because some people may get offended" is both ignorant and, depending on the builder (such as myself who is a castle builder, which were very violent times) hypocritical. So in short, excellent build, the content is disturbing to me, but I understand the meaning behind this and why the builder built it. Hope this adds another perspective on this. Now back to raiding and pillaging in Historica.