Sign in to follow this  
kris kelvin

D2C Contest: Ninjago Battle Chess Arena

Here is my entry for contest.

1.jpg

6.jpg

2.jpg

We have Pharaoh Quest Chess, now we have Ninjago Chess, maybe Atlantis Chess next?

Enjoy and good luck in the contest for all :thumbup:

Brickshelf (when public)

Flickr

And something special:

z4.jpg

Hamster not included and sold separately!!!

Edited by kris kelvin

What's the price, I want to buy it so hard!

Oh, wait, that's entry for D2C contest. :cry_sad:

It is awesome.

Drawers for storing the figs are excellent idea. It could be used for storing LEGOs too.

Clock is beautiful.

Are those original LEGO pieces (maybe from Hogwarts set?) or sticker you have made? (I am thinking about the clock)

Great idea and great job kris.

Fantastic work, kris kelvin! The clock is vey realistic, and the board is excellent. The pieces are really good, but if it were made into a set, I'd rather they were official figures (as in they were in colour and had printing), so I could use them for other things, but that's just me! Well done, and good luck!

Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner default_thumbup.gif

So well executed, it's a pleasure to behold!

The brick built pieces are beautiful and the fact you kept them black and white rather than a mess of colourful ninjas is simple but very effective.

Your use of space under the playing surface is great a real bonus to this already beautif setdefault_thumbup.gif

Good luck sir .... you may well have my vote.

Really great idea, and realisation. Good thing is, that you got the heigts of figures right, which is really important in chess, and usualy Lego doesn't care about that. I think it's my favorite LEGO chess I've seen so far ...

I only miss one thing - the flag on the clock! What do you mean; "the clock doesn't work"?! Hamster must've done something to it ...

Edited by MstrOfPppts

Oh dude, this is so great. The piece designs are beautiful as well as being easily recognisable. The drawers for the pieces are genius too! :thumbup:

Wow Kris, this is amazing!

I was expecting ordinary Ninjago figures as chess pieces but these are brilliant. Really feels like an adult take on Ninjago and all the functionality of the board draws just completes it.

This is an amazing chess set and looks like something that any true chess aficionado would be pleased to have in their collection of sets.

Aside from the fact that its made out of LEGO, it reminds me of one of the really fancy expensive chess sets you see in the high-end games shops and stuff.

Oh wow, this is truly a fantastic entry kris kelvin! This is really like an Exclusive Collector's Set with all the elegant-looking chess pieces and the built-in storage drawers. Simply an outstanding work! :thumbup:

Very nice! I was curious after you left that comment on my PQ Chess entry, and you certainly didn't disappoint! Like Duke said, it really does feel like an adult take on a ninja chess set. The pieces are nicely designed and the drawers are certainly a clever touch. However, it doesn't really feel like NinjaGo to me. I think it would be better if the brown parts were red and black instead to correspond with the color scheme of theme, and if the pieces of the black side were Lord Garmadon and his skeletons. Also, while the timer looks nice, it's not something that would be in a set as it doesn't have any function (does it?). But overall nice job! :thumbup:

This is awesome! I agree that it's not exactly Nijago feeling, but I love the design of everything. I do love the single-color pieces; way too many people (TLG included) do themed chess sets with colorful minifigs all over the place.

This is an amazing entry, but its connections to the theme are thin and fragile. Besides a medieval-oriental theme to the pieces and a strong interactive component, it's hard to see how this connects with Ninjago. I'd recommend improving it by using minifigures that look closer to those in the theme. As a color, red would not be out of the question for a chess set, and you could easily have a set of red "ninjas/humans" against white "skeletons" while still keeping the creative designs of this model. I personally prefer colorful minifigures in LEGO chess sets, because you know, it's LEGO. But this manages to be both LEGO and something entirely of its own by sticking to monochrome pieces.

Does the timer work? It looks big enough to maybe fit Power Functions, pull-back motors, or other mechanisms, but I have a hard time figuring how you could make it operate at a slow and steady pace. It's perhaps one of my favorite parts of this, as it gives the chess set an interactive quality not found in any of the official LEGO chess sets, which quite frankly adds a bit of the "action" that an action theme needs.

One last thing I would have done myself: it'd be simply amazing if you had included one Spinjitzu spinner on either side. The board could potentially be an amazing Spinjitzu arena, with its flat, tiled surface. And that sort of feature could help bring this closer to the original theme. Of course, the problem inherent in that is that all the spinners have patterns on them, and most of them are colorful, making it difficult to keep the elegant, minimalist color scheme of this MOC if you were to include such a thing.

Overall, I can't see a model like this being part of any existing theme. But it would quite frankly be AMAZING as a themeless D2C set of the same caliber as the Taj Mahal or Tower Bridge. Great design, and even if it doesn't win this contest this is destinied to be the sort of MOC that will be remembered by AFOLs for years!

One last thing I would have done myself: it'd be simply amazing if you had included one Spinjitzu spinner on either side. The board could potentially be an amazing Spinjitzu arena, with its flat, tiled surface. And that sort of feature could help bring this closer to the original theme.

Yes, that's a good idea, but the spinners may be a bit impractical for the chess game (even without the 2x2 piece underneath, they might wobble around), and this set is obviously aimed at adults who are unlikely to have spinjitzu battles. And I certainly wouldn't want Kris to waste his money on those horrible things just for this entry. :tongue:

Amazing MOC. It is gorgeously built and extremely attractive, definitely something I would display. Thanks for sharing this great creation with us.

Now this, is a chess set! While very Ninjaish, it has that adult feel to it that I really like. :thumbup: And the storage capabilities, awesome!

Just quick.

Thank you all for nice comments :)

It`s very kind and it means a lot to me.

I will write something more later.

absolutely awesome, the figures are amazing i particularly like the rook, and all the other design features like the draws are amazing aswell :)

Wonderfull! :classic:

How did you get all those pieces in white and black? I love the way you built bases for the figs, the drawers are a nice touch. Good luck in the contest. :sweet:

Edited by Scorpiox

*huh* I WANT!!! that is really a magnificent piece of work you created.

Thank you for sharing this and good luck on the contest! :classic:

First of all, thanks for comments :)

And replay for some constructive critic:

This is an amazing entry, but its connections to the theme are thin and fragile. Besides a medieval-oriental theme to the pieces and a strong interactive component, it's hard to see how this connects with Ninjago. I'd recommend improving it by using minifigures that look closer to those in the theme. As a color, red would not be out of the question for a chess set, and you could easily have a set of red "ninjas/humans" against white "skeletons" while still keeping the creative designs of this model. I personally prefer colorful minifigures in LEGO chess sets, because you know, it's LEGO. But this manages to be both LEGO and something entirely of its own by sticking to monochrome pieces.

Does the timer work? It looks big enough to maybe fit Power Functions, pull-back motors, or other mechanisms, but I have a hard time figuring how you could make it operate at a slow and steady pace. It's perhaps one of my favorite parts of this, as it gives the chess set an interactive quality not found in any of the official LEGO chess sets, which quite frankly adds a bit of the "action" that an action theme needs.

One last thing I would have done myself: it'd be simply amazing if you had included one Spinjitzu spinner on either side. The board could potentially be an amazing Spinjitzu arena, with its flat, tiled surface. And that sort of feature could help bring this closer to the original theme. Of course, the problem inherent in that is that all the spinners have patterns on them, and most of them are colorful, making it difficult to keep the elegant, minimalist color scheme of this MOC if you were to include such a thing.

Overall, I can't see a model like this being part of any existing theme. But it would quite frankly be AMAZING as a themeless D2C set of the same caliber as the Taj Mahal or Tower Bridge. Great design, and even if it doesn't win this contest this is destinied to be the sort of MOC that will be remembered by AFOLs for years!

Well, you are absolutely right Aanchir. It`s not ideal D2C NinjaGo set. But I simply do not like Lego chess in form we know. You like colourful chess and I don`t. I like contest, some of them very much but my primary goal is my satisfaction. I wanted to build classic black and white chess. And of course it`s rather difficult to build (especially in white) figures in NinjaGo style. Each contest is a rather fun for me than the desire to win. I'm happy with what I built and it is most important. I will not build something I don`t like to increase my chance of winning. Maybe I will win, maybe I will be third or maybe I`ll be last because there are many great entries that better fits contest rules.

It's probably a lame excuse, but the best that I have :tongue:

PS. Excuse my bad English :classic:

Edited by kris kelvin

Firstly your English is great.... better than my Polish default_cry4.gif despite being a "Wisniewski".

Secondly there is no need to excuse your self your creations are beautiful , and I second the sentiment of building something you like rather than conforming to win.

Like the song says "You can't please everyone so you gotta please your self" default_thumbup.gif

Still wishing you the best of luck mate!