Sign in to follow this  
Konajra

MOC: Greenpeace Rainbow Warrior 3

Please allow me to post my latest build.

Back in April 2014 I received an email from Greenpeace to visit their latest Rainbow Warrior while she was in the harbour of Amterdam for just 2 days. Since I wanted to build this iconic campaign vessel since 2011 when it was just launched I went over there. I took a lot of photos capturing the most important details. But I also wanted the GA and Lines plans of the ship. After talking to some Rainbow Warrior Sailors I was given the email adress of the Designated Person Ashore. After some emails and phonecalls and a NDA I received the plans. Happy me.

As usual I started in MLcad. This took me about three to four months. The whole underwater ship is build upside down, the keel included.The part above the water line is build in snot.

14652887254_9ef1e9a5d2_c.jpg

Rainbow Warrior WIP by Konajra, on Flickr

The first Idea was to build the underwaterpart as one piece and split the part above in two. However during the construction of the ship it became clear that the underwatership was not going to be strong enough on its own. So I decided to build the green part of the hull in one piece and connect it to the underwatership. The hull is now one complete piece with a length of 150 cm. It is so strong that it can hold the entire finished model on the stand without using the keel as a base. That was even a suprise for me

Now some photos of designing and building the ship.

15146242065_e99278e290_c.jpg

Rainbow Warrior 3 by Konajra, on Flickr

15013376340_50ec3fcc42_c.jpg

Rainbow Warrior WIP by Konajra, on Flickr

15205743126_e7ea1804ec_c.jpg

Rainbow Warrior WIP mlcad by Konajra, on Flickr

The construction of the ship

15788316480_4f3eb89af8_c.jpg

Rainbow Warrior WIP 2 by Konajra, on Flickr

15839530428_a82440104b_c.jpg

rainbow warrior 3 wip by Konajra, on Flickr

A photo showing the dimensions of the ship

16037689192_ea553dd52a_c.jpg

scale Rainbow Warrior by Konajra, on Flickr

And the finished model:

16903231311_ba46ee77d6_c.jpg

RAINBOW WARRIOR III by Konajra, on Flickr

16902991692_49daa02d0b_c.jpg

16902990312_fcb03fe60c_c.jpg

16904211205_800fd179ff_c.jpg

More pictures at my flickr stream :https://www.flickr.c...57645464566471/

Thanks for your time and reading this post.

Edited by Konajra

I've seen your model already two times in real, but it 's still a stunning creation Konajra :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edited by VFracingteam

Now that has a lot of 2x4 green tiles........mind blowing AWESOME ship 'Konajra' and it's minifig scale too......might sit better in the town forum since it is minifig scale. :wink:

'Konajra' you are totally the master and commander of Lego ships........Brick On ! :grin:

Your ships are always mindblowing. The size, detail and minifig-scale... How do you measure the correct size of your ships?

Thanks guys.

@ Trance89: You can find the real dimensions of the ship online. I then make a one to 40 scale of it. In MLcad there is a function that tells you in studs, cm and inches the size of your creation. That way I know if I am doing the right thing.

Wow, that is incredibly detailed and enormous. Did you send completed photos to the person who gave you the plans so they could see how it turned out?

Blimey! It's another incredible creation. Are there any vessels you can't do?