Mariann Asanuma

Comic Con Star Wars CubeDudes Review

gallery_101_23_281.gif

4840045778_cc86b0c807.jpg

For all of you who couldn't make it to this year's San Diego Comic Con or get one of the exclusive Star Wars CubeDudes sets here's what it looks like.

Back of the box

4840045824_2f51f9f99a.jpg

Angus MacLane, father of the CubeDude movement, was on hand and signing his work. He's actually a friend of mine, it was nice to see him again.

4839433887_059d86762a.jpg

What comes in the box

4840045940_79be44a002.jpg

I'm sure some people are surprised that I would open this, thus losing it's "mint" status. *oh2* As I don't really plan on selling this, I don't really care about the "value." I bought it to support Angus and LEGO is meant to be built. Plus you can peel the sticker off easily enough that it doesn't really damage the box. :wink:

Random instruction page. The booklet included instructions for all 5 models.

4840046018_be6e23ba9d.jpg

Parts bags

4839434115_c3b7a3e431.jpg

As this was an exclusive with only about 2000 made, the sets were hand packed. This is what usually happens with the LEGO exclusives as they are made in such small amounts.

The built models

4840046128_acb5475f50.jpg

4839434217_297c5e5b38.jpg

Until I'd seen them at Bricks by the Bay in April I had no idea how very small CubeDudes really are. That just makes them so much cuter in my book. :sweet:

Overall: 10/10 as a set

Price: $75 -- a tad pricey, but actually a little low for an exclusive set with 5 models in it.

Rarity: High -- as it was only available as a raffle to buy at Comic Con, the set became instantly rare.

Building: The instructions were a little different than standard LEGO instructions, but still mostly clear. The models took only minutes each to build and it was nice how Angus added a few tricks of building like the upside-down cheese slopes on the Captain Rex.

Its a fun set, the only unfortunate thing is that it is so rare and so few people will get to own one. Hopefully this way you can at least get a glance at what's inside.

Cool! It's really nice that you can build them yet still be able to sell the set as mint condition :thumbup::tongue:

Nice looking Models. Could you put a minifigure beside one and take a picture for an idea of the scale? Thanks in advance.

How about scanning or snapping good pics of the instructions for the models and posting them?

Dam! I was putting off buying these as I thought they were not really much of a real star wars set! Now after your great review, I see that this year the Comic Con exclusive is almost made to retail standards of packaging. :wub:

Crap! looks like some Ebay scalper is going to get my money. :laugh:

Out of curiosity, is this an "official" set? I mean, I see the Lego logo, and the usual text on the side, but there's a lack of set number and the parts are in zip lock bags.

Nevertheless it is pretty cool though. :thumbup:

Thanks for the review!

My favourite would have to be either Yoda or Rex, But Obi Wans hair is cool too :wub:

Thanks again for the great review!

A fine review!

Cute figures indeed, Obi Wan has a very clever hairstyle and is by a far my favorite, I'd say Yoda is second, rex is third, C3PO is fourth, and R2 is my least favorite. Not saying he is bad, but I think he is a bit strange looking.

In any case, these are far better than the set we got at Comic COn last year, the one with the Hailfire droid and extra clone troopers and whatnot(or was that Comic con 2008?)

Thanks for sharing this with us Mariann! For some reason, even if it's not the usual SW set, I find this pretty interesting to collect. For sure the prices of these will skyrocket, but purchasing it parts-wise through BL seems more feasible. Pretty nice review BTW. :thumbup:

Wow! Awesome. Really great collectible :D. Really nice detail - they're like bobble-heads sort of :P. It did seem a bit pricey, but who cares. Good choice of Star Wars characters too.

Woah. I don't really like the Comic Con cubedudes, least of all Obi, but I never realised all the rare part coulourd were with Rex! 2X2 white jumper, that large angle piece....

Whoa, these are sweet. Maybe I'll try to build my own using parts bought online.

I noticed that Rex's "fin" on the top of his helmet isn't straight. Any reasoning?

I was able to get my hands on one of these Comic Con sets, #0056/2000.

They were fun to build. My only problem was that R2 was missing two parts. But had them in my inventory, so all is good. :sweet:

- Patrick

Thanks Mariann. I wasn't very interested in this initially until I seen this review and I must admit that I find these very cute. I am wondering if we could use the instructions given to build these cube dudes altogether since these bricks are not hard to find.

I noticed that Rex's "fin" on the top of his helmet isn't straight. Any reasoning?

I think Mariann positioned the top "fin" of the helmet incorrectly. It should be in the middle, along the lines of the black visor of the helmet, and not sideways.

I think Mariann positioned the top "fin" of the helmet incorrectly. It should be in the middle, along the lines of the black visor of the helmet, and not sideways.

It was on straight when I built it, but I guess it moved as I was positioning the models for pictures. I didn't even notice. :blush:

For all those asking, no I won't scan the instructions. Since the set just came out and Angus is my friend I want to respect his design.

It is an official set. Anything put out by LEGO as a set is an official LEGO set. The only reason it is in ziploc bags is that it was packed by hand because there were only 2000 sets made. When LEGO packages a standard set with the machines they have to produce at least 10,000 sets at once. As this was an exclusive and a limited run, it was packed by hand.

While I love Clone Troopers, I'd say my favourite out of those would have to be C3PO. The others are quite neat too.

It was on straight when I built it, but I guess it moved as I was positioning the models for pictures. I didn't even notice. :blush:

For all those asking, no I won't scan the instructions. Since the set just came out and Angus is my friend I want to respect his design.

No worries, I didn't notice it too, it's only eagle-eyed Chunky who noticed it. :wink:

And yeah we have to respect Angus' designs, and it's a bit ungentlemanly to prematurely ask the lady for scanned instructions this early. If there will be chances for us to recreate this unique cubedude creations it will eventually come, just be patient guys.

[Removed the entire quoted review]

Edit by WhiteFang: You don't have to quote the entire review, Thanks.

It looks good, but C3P0 looks like he has balls! :laugh:

Edited by WhiteFang
Removed quoted review

Thanks for the review!

While I don't "love" the set I did just buy 1 on bricklink to add to my "collection part" of the lego hobby. I can see this will turn into a expensive set.

Edited by OneSnowTrooper

Cool. I interviewed Angus once for his work on WALL-E. I didn't know he is behind this set.