TheFuzz

March's Double VIP- What are you buying?

Anyone already planning their future Lego purchases to coincide with their double VIP promo in March? If so, what are your plans?

I think I'm going with the Palace Cinema(only modular still available I don't have) or Fairground Mixer. Still undecided.

Everyone?

Many things on my wishlist. I'm thinking delving into the elves sets. Want the easter set as well. Still on the fence about the new Avenger UCS set. Maybe one Pirates set.

I'd like the Friends Grand Hotel and the new Town Square, but not sure when those are coming out.

Tower of Orthanc (fingers crossed they still have it available in March!) and the entire Elves set. Also the Easter set when it's available. Maybe the Parisian Restaurant, depending on what my finances look like at that point. I'm pretty much done with my Lego buying for Feb (ordered the Friends Lighthouse and Friends Hot Air Balloon yesterday, along with some more Stormtroopers so I would have free shipping).

At this point though, Tower of Orthanc is my priority, though I might cave and buy it with points earlier if it looks like it will sell out entirely. What do you all think? Tower of Orthanc still available in mid-March? Or buy it sooner to be sure?

Is there any way to find out when the next double VIP special takes place in each vountry? IIRC, last year it was in March in the US, but in April in Europe.

Anyway: I'll get Detective's Office (x2) and Parisian Restaurant (2nd copy). Possibly some other struff aswell, but that will be more spontaneous.

I think I am going to buy my girlfriend the VW camper van. As for myself, well perhaps one of the smaller pirate sets or maybe the Rebels tie fighter if I have enough money left over.

I have a sneaking suspicion this 2X is going to fall in between major set releases...got to love marketing :-P so you either risk 'out of stock' or buy early and miss the 2X.

I don't know the dates for some of the later sets, but I bet its how it goes down.

I'd like the Friends Grand Hotel and the new Town Square, but not sure when those are coming out.

Like them too, will certainly be on my list but I think they won't be released until June...

I may hold off on the UCS Helicarrier until double points. However with my luck, they will be "out of stock" for the period of double points.

As long as it isn't sold-out it can't hurt to have to wait, right? :wink:

I have a sneaking suspicion this 2X is going to fall in between major set releases...got to love marketing :-P so you either risk 'out of stock' or buy early and miss the 2X.

I don't know the dates for some of the later sets, but I bet its how it goes down.

Can't blame TLG for wanting to earn (even more!) money :devil:

Agree, was wondering the exact times for the 2x points, if you are going to spend big, might as well do it then.

This could be the time to finally pick up the Detective Office. If the item is out of stock, I think you can still get the double points as long as S&H lets you order it and you place the order within the time frame. Even if it ships beyond the promotion period, you should still get the points.

Might be odds and ends for me. Maybe some baseplates and some of the Star Wars battle packs. Perhaps the T-16 or the last couple Hobbit sets I don't have. Really not a lot going on for me with Lego sets right now.

No mixer love I see... I want it but it's hard to pass up a modular for it. I feel like once it's built it will stay packed up. And I'm suspicious that the cinema may not make it until 2016 if they keep pet shop around longer.

Are the ultron sets going to be out mid-March? Is like to grab the quinjet too if possible.

Tower of Orthanc (fingers crossed they still have it available in March!) and the entire Elves set. Also the Easter set when it's available. Maybe the Parisian Restaurant, depending on what my finances look like at that point. I'm pretty much done with my Lego buying for Feb (ordered the Friends Lighthouse and Friends Hot Air Balloon yesterday, along with some more Stormtroopers so I would have free shipping).

At this point though, Tower of Orthanc is my priority, though I might cave and buy it with points earlier if it looks like it will sell out entirely. What do you all think? Tower of Orthanc still available in mid-March? Or buy it sooner to be sure?

PR is the best modular build I've done. That being said... I got Orthanc for Christmas and it's incredible. If you are at ALL a Lotr fan, I'd go for that first.

The build is really good as it alternates between structure/exterior/interior details constantly and each floor feels different.

... And dat chandelier.

PR is the best modular build I've done. That being said... I got Orthanc for Christmas and it's incredible. If you are at ALL a Lotr fan, I'd go for that first.

The build is really good as it alternates between structure/exterior/interior details constantly and each floor feels different.

... And dat chandelier.

Good to know. I am a LotR fan (rewatching the trilogy currently!) and I've been eyeing Orthanc for a few months now and saving up points for it. I'd rather get it in March so I can purchase it for double points, but I definitely don't want it to go out of production in the meantime. But yes, definitely Ornthanc before Parisian Restaurant for me, though I am looking forward to that one as well.

I would think they would put the Avengers sets out in March, considering the movie is in April and the Helicarrier will be released to the public mid March, so hopefully the Quinjet will be out in time for double points.

Good to know. I am a LotR fan (rewatching the trilogy currently!) and I've been eyeing Orthanc for a few months now and saving up points for it. I'd rather get it in March so I can purchase it for double points, but I definitely don't want it to go out of production in the meantime. But yes, definitely Ornthanc before Parisian Restaurant for me, though I am looking forward to that one as well.

I would think they would put the Avengers sets out in March, considering the movie is in April and the Helicarrier will be released to the public mid March, so hopefully the Quinjet will be out in time for double points.

FWIW Orthanc is my favorite LOTR set, with Unexpected Gathering second. UG was way better than it needed to be IMHO. Helms Deep was good, but after those other 2 it felt lacking.

Edited by TheFuzz

FWIW Orthanc is my favorite LOTR set, with Unexpected Gathering second. UG was way better than it needed to be IMHO. Helms Deep was good, but after those other 2 it felt lacking.

That is awesome. I really enjoyed Unexpected Gathering, it's one of my favorite sets in general (which I say without having yet built any of the modular buildings), and I'm definitely looking forward to Orthanc now. I haven't built Helms Deep, which does look like a very interesting set, but I did recently build Attack on Weathertop and I liked it very much.

This could be the time to finally pick up the Detective Office. If the item is out of stock, I think you can still get the double points as long as S&H lets you order it and you place the order within the time frame. Even if it ships beyond the promotion period, you should still get the points.

Thanks for mentioning this.

I checked my VIP point balance after my order on the 5th of January which should have earned double VIP points. But... I only received single points . Some of the sets I ordered were backordered, but not all. But the purchase date recorded is the date they were dispatched which is not 5 Jan.

I have contacted customer service anout this. I will let you know what their response is.

Has anyone else ever noticed this go wrong?

As many Speed Champions sets as I can handle it. I'd take two of the 918, P1, and LaF, and two of the Porsche 911 sets (so I can make road-legal versions). Dissing the 458 GT2 model, as it's not even good-looking, and because in real life, the big team running the car always triggers crashes in endurance races. The big Ferrari truck? Man, I might make a few sacrifices.

In terms of big sets, I've got too many on the to-buy list. In no particular order:

Simpsons House

UCS Tumbler

Palace Cinema or Parisian Restaurant (Detective's Office can wait)

UCS X-Wing or UCS Slave 1 (even though the x-wing is older I have the original)

Ewok Village ??

Technic Mobile Crane

City Cargo Train

In terms of smaller sub-$100 sets, no idea.