Sign in to follow this  
Murdoch17

Single track railroad suspension bridge 76057 LDD MOD

This is a set 76057 (Spider-Man: Web Warriors Ultimate Bridge Battle) inspired model in single track train bridge form. It can be easily extended to make a higher or shorter / longer bridge, depending on your needs, but as it stands now it's 10 tracks long with two 6 track long ramps.

29232482586_edca7b8ffb_z.jpg

The connector clips between the roadway and tower are not connected because they were crashing LDD with it's many rotation issues, though it works in real life the same way as in set 76057.

29232482936_fd266cb84c_z.jpg

Without the ramps attached.

28645762923_bde6254e56.jpg

The deck has been lowered and the tower added some height to let a double stacked container train of 10219 style cars through, (those are the tallest cars Lego has made)

29232482196_4594a42e6c_z.jpg

The model has two towers, four deck sections, and four deck with connector modules, plus two ramps. (one left and one right)

The (UPDATED) LDD file is available here: http://www.moc-pages.com/user_images/80135/1472311962m.lxf

As usual, Comments, Questions, and Complaints are always welcome!

Walter Lee, on Facebook's LEGO Train Fan Club: This bridge should be hold the weight of one moving train as long as the span between to bridge abutments don't go father than current design (4 rail road track segments, 20 inches). When the bridge span is over 20 inches the weight of the bridge itself , the weight of the train, and the vibration caused by the train moving through the bridge begin to put structural stress on the bridge that can cause the lego connections to fail -- unless special construction techniques are used. The connections between the jointed lego bricks used to simulate the suspension cable are not strong - and are not load bearing - this is a simple beam bridge dressed up to look like a suspension bridge - One of the reasons I haven't even considered making a real load bearing suspension bridge is because making a load bearing technic cable is prohibitively expensive to make :-(Mudoch's bridge leans to being more affordable and thus has more play value. I've made reliable and bigger bridges but they are costly monsters - that are not affordable at all and not something you'd have room for at home ( my monster bridge sits disassembled in several box, it takes an hour just to assemble, an hour to dissemble, if you make a mistake building it - there is a risk it could *blowup* under the extreme tension it is under, and its size limits its use for only very large public display - it is too big to have any home play value) sigh.

NOTE: quote edited to remove my name and substitute it with my username "Murdoch17".

Edited by Murdoch17

I finished adding almost 200 of these 2 x 4 bricks to make a couple entry ramps for the bridge. I took this picture of it, and realized it makes a cool illusion of the ramp actually going up, without it ever changing in elevation, as it stays at bridge deck height.

27821374336_804eb39e4f_z.jpg

Pretty cool huh?

(NOTE: The ramps are not included in LDD file!)

Edited by Murdoch17

Pretty nice, and with the two towers it should be stable as well.

Thanks, and yeah, it *should* work... it all seems stable and train friendly.

Nice bridge you designed there.

While I think the bridge could work, I think an incline of one brick per track segment (if I see it correctly) seems a little too steep for most trains to me.

Nice bridge you designed there.

While I think the bridge could work, I think an incline of one brick per track segment (if I see it correctly) seems a little too steep for most trains to me.

Thank you! What about a brick in height every two tracks? I wasn't sure of how to make the ramp okay for most trains.

That's no problem I think.

I've read two plates per track segment is maximum for most trains to be able to get uphill decently. So one brick and a plate for two track segments.

Make sure to get a smooth transition between flat track and incline, so only one plate after the first track, then a brick, then a brick with two plates et cetera.

I have to admit I didn't test any of this, I simply haven't build a layout yet (and don't have the space for such inclines) so a steeper angle might work for your trains.

Update:

The main post has been updated to have a newer version of the bridge, with taller towers and a lower deck, plus two ramps. The model now fits all official trains with plenty or room, and as such the LDD file and pictures have been updated!

Edited by Murdoch17