Sign in to follow this  
SavaTheAggie

[MOC] NYC J3A Dreyfuss Hudson

27311815372_63b27ee1b2.jpg

FULL GALLERY

The New York Central J3A "Hudson" class 4-6-4 steam locomotive #5447 with Henry Dreyfuss streamlining.

This locomotive is over 9 years in the making. Back in 2007 I began building my original Dreyfuss Hudson in 6-wide, but I was never fully satisfied with it. I revisited and modified the design several times, but I didn't think I did full justice to the handsome, iconic Twentieth Century Limited Henrey Dreyfuss streamlining. Even back then, in my infancy as a LEGO train builder, I knew 8-wide was the only way to really capture it, but I could never figure out how to generate that central sail on the nose. 9 years later, I think I've succeeded.

27311825862_a2a77f6760.jpg

The model is fully track compatible, with 2 Power Functions motors in the tender. In order to clear the tight LEGO curves, I've had to articulate the locomotive like I did the Daylight - the drivers are not fixed to the boiler as they should be, and swivel out from beneath it in curves.

I want to give a huge thank you to Cale Leiphart and Edward Chang. They gave me feedback throughout the design and construction phase of this locomotive, and without whom I do not think I would be nearly as happy with this model.

26803192343_e4f5c19fd2.jpg

Another huge thank you to Terry Akuna, who printed the tender lettering and cab numbers directly on the bricks, and designed and redesigned the NYCS "meatball" on the cow catcher, going well above and beyond the call of duty. I am beyond impressed with his work, and I highly recommend you check out his work.

--Tony

Nice. Always disliked the tender on that locomotive, with the side frame shielding so much of the wheels. I also personally prefer the Empire State Express' cowling, but I know I'm in the minority on that one.

I really wish there was a way to replicate disk wheels - they're such a defining characteristic of this engine. But, sadly, I can't fathom how you'd do so while retaining functioning valve gear (unless you went the custom route).

Edited by ShrikeArghast

Hi Tony,

it was worse the long design process! Your #5447 locomotive is just brilliant. Using all the nice curved elements makes this a very iconic LEGO model of a very iconic prototype. And the lettering and stickers add a lot to this model. And for you as a masterbuilder you incorporated both design and functionality on a very high level. Great that this loco can ride on all the curves, even the tiny LEGO curves. But obiously it will look much better on long ME curves (can't wait to see pictures from this year's Brickworld layouts and trains).

Can you provide some pictures showing the body and the drive separated? I am really interested in how you've solved the piviot issue in the drive an how the drive is attached to the body.

26351956573_261925d2c7.jpg

Would be great if your US streamlined #5447 could meet my German streamlined BR 10 some day ...

Again, great LEGO train work!

Holger

P.S. Well done with the mirco gaps at the tender wheel covers. Did you use 1x2 panels here?

Edited by HoMa

A great engine from a legendary steam locomotive class, so well captured in Lego! Well done, it looks great!

P.S. Do you think after we finish building a new T1 4-4-4-4 in the states, think someone will start work on a NYC Hudson replica? I want one :grin:

Well done. :thumbup: I'll have to try your cow catcher on a Baldwin diesel baby face. :classic:

Brilliant rendition. This is without a doubt your best model yet. Excellent job capturing the look and size of the locomotive.

Glenn

A great engine from a legendary steam locomotive class, so well captured in Lego! Well done, it looks great!

P.S. Do you think after we finish building a new T1 4-4-4-4 in the states, think someone will start work on a NYC Hudson replica? I want one :grin:

I doubt that T1 will ever get built.

Beautiful train, especially the nose and the printed brick. Did you paint the wheel to grey? How do you paint the surface smooth like this?

Excellent work, indeed, this might be your best work yet (but the competition is very challenging). Hopefully you'll be able to get a family shot of it next to Nate's NYC Hudson at BW.

Thank you all. It was a fun build, and I feel redeemed in a way. I had stopped showing my original 6-wide version of the Dreyfuss Hudson entirely, one of those "you are your own worst critic" type of thing, I guess.

Hi Tony,

it was worse the long design process! Your #5447 locomotive is just brilliant. Using all the nice curved elements makes this a very iconic LEGO model of a very iconic prototype. And the lettering and stickers add a lot to this model. And for you as a masterbuilder you incorporated both design and functionality on a very high level. Great that this loco can ride on all the curves, even the tiny LEGO curves. But obiously it will look much better on long ME curves (can't wait to see pictures from this year's Brickworld layouts and trains).

Can you provide some pictures showing the body and the drive separated? I am really interested in how you've solved the piviot issue in the drive an how the drive is attached to the body.

26351956573_261925d2c7.jpg

Would be great if your US streamlined #5447 could meet my German streamlined BR 10 some day ...

Again, great LEGO train work!

Holger

P.S. Well done with the mirco gaps at the tender wheel covers. Did you use 1x2 panels here?

Thanks so much, Holger. To be honest she's never been tested under power, so Brickworld will be her maiden voyage (I've pushed her through curves and switches manually, of course, but I don't have my own layout).

I will try to get a photo or two of the wheelbase for you. I don't think it's anything earth-shattering, though.

Yes, the gaps on the tender was achieved with 1x2 panels. I had originally attempted cheese slopes, thinking I could remove the gap entirely, but that didn't work out. Still, a half-plate gap isn't bad.

Beautiful train, especially the nose and the printed brick. Did you paint the wheel to grey? How do you paint the surface smooth like this?

Thank you. The wheels aren't painted, they came that way from Big Ben Bricks (LEGO compatible third party train wheels).

--Tony

Somehow I overlooked the WiP pictures when you posted them, but the more of a pleasant surprise it is!

Beautiful machine, both the real one and your rendition of it. :thumbup:

Minor point are the wheel covers, they look a little low compared to pictures of the real one to me.

Somehow I overlooked the WiP pictures when you posted them, but the more of a pleasant surprise it is!

Beautiful machine, both the real one and your rendition of it. :thumbup:

Minor point are the wheel covers, they look a little low compared to pictures of the real one to me.

Thank you. You did not see the WiP photos because they were hidden until I uploaded the finished pictures. :)

I usually post WiP photos throughout my design process, but I decided this time around to keep it relatively quiet. Of course I did share it with a select few for feedback, and I cannot tell you how hard it was for me to not share the photos with more people than I did.

One of the issues I have with the wheels of this design is that they really need to be a stud bigger in diameter, so I had to make a few changes. The firebox, for example, is about two studs too long, and should begin further down the boiler.

--Tony

You've done a great work Tony ...I know your high quality standard and I love it! :wub:

The nose of this beauty looks perfect and the grey wheels (plus the printed bricks) are the icing on the cake!

27162774793_3c1602812c.jpgBest Train Brickworld 2016 by Tony Sava, on Flickr

This MOC was awarded "Best Train" at Brickworld Chicago 2016.

--Tony

You earned it friend. You had the better locomotive this year and If I had to loose to some one, I'm glad it was you. But next year, I'm making a comeback. :wink:

Cale

Here's a YouTube video of the locomotive's maiden voyage. I don't have a layout of my own, so while I was able to test her by pushing her through different track configurations, I had no guarantee she'd run under her own power. Thankfully she did, no additional tweaking necessary.

--Tony