Sign in to follow this  
Skipper

Reconstruction of the LEGO Idea Book Sets

Hey guys!

Inspired by SirSven7's posting of old alternate/inspirational model pictures from the original Classic Pirate's line and LEGO Idea Books, I've set out to recreate them on LDD. I've done three so far, I'll post the rest as I finish them. If any of you have other alternate pics, feel free to share them here and in the other topic, I'll do my best to recreate them.

If they're available, the "official model" picture will be linked to instructions. LXFs with each.

IMPERIAL SOLDIER FORT:

LXF

Official Model:

fortavatar.png

We start off with this fort from Book 260-1, pages 42 and 43. A total of two infantry, one officer, and Governor Broadside.

3/4 View:

untitled-1.png

The main model of this set. Looks nice doesn't it? I'd almost say it's supposed to be a SYSTEM Torre de Belem, but that might be stretching it a bit. One cannon, and a little dock in front. No door, enter through the back.

Back:

fortback.png

The usual spartan interior of classic sets. The bottom floor is actually quite roomy though, the floor may be water but that would be easy to mod with just a few plates. The tower interior is essentially useless, seeing as the floor is tiled over.

Cannon Emplacement:

cannonfort.png

A close-up on the swivel cannon. To the left, six cannonballs.

Rowboat:

rowboatfort.png

Your standard imperial rowboat, not much to say here. Next model!

ISLANDER CATAMARAN:

LXF

Offical Model:

catamaranavatar.png

From this puny picture you can make out the catamaran from Book 697-1, pages 16 through 19. Includes four typical Islanders, one semi-naked pirate and a pegleg sailor/pirate. The minifig selection here is somewhat strange, instead of King Kahuka himself captaining the ship there are two pirates. I wonder if they are prisoners or if they've enslaved the islanders, which would be a strange move by LEGO.

Back:

catamaranback.png

This thing's a beast. It's much bigger than the released Islander catamaran, and has the addition of another rowboat as a third hull, making this more of an outrigger. The bright colors and palm leaves definitely capture the Islander feel, and all six figs fit snugly on. I dislike one thing about it, which is clearer in the next picture.

Front:

catamaranfront.png

It's built with huge columns of stone! This would never get off the beach, let alone float. But suspending disbelief, it looks rather menacing and I think the design would look better when covered with the leafy prints that aren't available on LDD.

Outriggers:

sidecatamarans.png

As you can see each fig has a function and spot on this ship. There are platforms on the side for archers, and a space for a rower in the back.

PIRATE SAILBOAT:

LXF

Official Model:

sailboat.png

From Book 260-1, pages 40 and 41. I warn you, this model's pretty underwhelming. Includes three pirates.

Front:

sailboatfront.png

Building off of a rowboat hull is a cool concept, but I really don't think it works well. And I've never liked brick sails.

Action:

sailboathinge.png

OMG an action feature!!! :pir-tongue: This was actually pretty cool and unexpected. Since it's built on hinges, the deck can be kicked up either to access (a tiny) storage area or simulate an explosion/cannon fire.

ARMADA OUTPOST:

LXF, Instructions. No official pic for this one, sorry. From Book 697-1, pages 20 and 21. Four minifigs.

Outpost 3/4:

armadafront.png

Looks nice, a lot of BURP rockwork and of course the beautiful white/green/red Armada colorscheme. You may notice the rectangular trench in the sand in the lower left, that's for a play function later. Another thing is, that slanted roof is just held on by a couple studs "hooking" together, would definitely be an illegal connection now.

Outpost Right:

armadaright.png

Here we can see the official entrance to the outpost, as well as get a slight glance into the tower room. You can't really see much, but you're not really missing much either. Inside there's just a blue table with a map as furniture.

Secret Entrance:

armadarockopen.png

Alright, back to that trench. That allows the big BURP on the left to slide over, revealing another entrance to the tower as well as this skeleton. :pirate_skel1: No picture of the entrance, its prety boring anyways.

Rowboat:

armadaboat.png

To finish this little rowboat. Nothing special but the colors stand out.

That's all for now, I hope you enjoyed them. Have a great day!

~Skipper :jollyroger:

Edited by Skipper

wow you really went all out on this, its brilliant to see the fort and little ship especially, i think I am going to have to build them both when time permits, its nice to see them from different angles o thanks for that.

Cant wait to see the largest armada set (if your still inspired :pir-classic: )

Cheers

wow you really went all out on this, its brilliant to see the fort and little ship especially, i think I am going to have to build them both when time permits, its nice to see them from different angles o thanks for that.

Cant wait to see the largest armada set (if your still inspired :pir-classic: )

Cheers

Thanks, yeah I plan to keep going. The next reconstructions will take longer though, I did a lot today because I'm on break. Back to school tomorow though. :pir-hmpf_bad::pir_laugh2:

First post updated with the Armada Outpost.

That thing was a pain in the :pir-angry: to build, I've always said the newer instructions are too easy but these were so hard! Like 20 pieces a step, and placements are unclear. Some were put in "floating," and their support bricks put in later.

A very interesting challenge Mr. Skipper! I really like some of those new-old sets! :pir_laugh2:

Expect it to be blogged soon!

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Dreamweb beat me to the blog, so I will just post here. I remember all of those from the idea book. I also seem to remember one of them had like half the instructions missing. Those are very cool in CAD format. Good work!

On 11/27/2011 at 3:09 PM, Skipper said:

PIRATE SAILBOAT:

LXF

Official Model:

sailboat.png

From Book 260-1, pages 40 and 41. I warn you, this model's pretty underwhelming. Includes three pirates.

Front:

sailboatfront.png

Building off of a rowboat hull is a cool concept, but I really don't think it works well. And I've never liked brick sails.

Action:

sailboathinge.png

OMG an action feature!!! :pir-tongue: This was actually pretty cool and unexpected. Since it's built on hinges, the deck can be kicked up either to access (a tiny) storage area or simulate an explosion/cannon fire.

Hey guys,

I used your file to put some custom made decorations so that it could look much more similar to the original one.

Saldly if I share my lxf and you open it in your computers you wont be able to see my customized decorations because you have to add them into the saystem file of LDD.

Please enjoy!

I am finishing the Carribean Clipper and Blackseas Barracuda as much as I could make them look original as well.

Please comment below if you wish fo me to upload them.

cheers

idea2withoriginalstickers.gif