The Harbour Tug

6835452384_d144862354_z.jpg

My entry of the "to sail the technic sea" contest is a floating vessel in the style of a Harbour tugboat. The feature of my tugboat is a Voith Schneider propulsion system. A classic propulsion system for ships works with a horizontal driveshaft and a propeller. The advantage of the vertical Voith Schneider propeller is, that it could adjust the boost of the propeller in all directions, without using a rudder.

6981757305_b0ff8fa2e4.jpg

The vessel can move sidewards and rotates in every radius which the captain wants. To get a little view on the maneuver abilitiys i made a short Video of my harbour tug

Technical Datas

Two propellers in Voith Schneider style powered by twoPF-M motors with a gear ratio of 1:1.4

Two Pf-M to adjust the pitch of the propellers. The pitch controls the direction of boost.

Two receivers and transmitters

One 8878 LiPo accu

Dimensions

width: 280mm

length: 600mm

height: 360mm

weight: 2790grams

The Deckhouse and the Bridge is built modular to get a easy access to the electric parts

6981578641_6014ae319c.jpg

the two dishes are used to show the driver in which position the pitch of the propellers is.

6981578501_0bb09363d9.jpg

on the afterdeck i have added a nonworking winch for the tow line

6981577947_e3df4cc6fb.jpg

The stabilizer sword and two of the airtanks which are adjusting the waterline of the vessel.

6835452724_6beee95e90.jpg

more pictures on flickr and Brickshelf

If you want to take a look on the building process, please click here

Thanks for reading

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the work in progress thread of my "to sail the Technic sea" entry

the technical base, the voith schneider propellers, is finished. only RC and the design things are to do.

6818600500_2d55b0bfd7.jpg

6964720509_68431803e3.jpg

for people who didnt know what a voith schneider propeller is, please look here

Now that is a great idea - and a product. Thanks for introducing this onto a forum!

Did you ever thing of using technic for the main body of the ship rather than using a big lego-city-boat-base-body?

it will have a Technic look with some panels on the hull and other technic parts above the water line.

Voith Schneider propellers (cycloidal drive) work much like helicopter cyclics turned on edge, and are some of the coolest mechanisms in the world. Well done!

for people who didnt know what a voith schneider propeller is

is that anything like a roy scheider compeller?

i never get tired of that line!

KEvron

good morning guys, the RC is implemented and i made a little testdrive in the bathtub

conclusion: the bathtub is too small to learn to drive :wink:

And it works! Even though the plates are straight? Mayne some panels would act as better wings? Anyway awesome work right there!

i use liftarms s propellerblades. it would be interesting how good the tailrotorblades of the new helicopter are working on this voight schneider

I am just amazed that it still floats. Is that the hull of the fire fighter ship ? Finally a hull that can actually make a total Lego Technic (except the hull offcourse) ship that acually floats. How much does this creation weigh ?

it is the hull from the 4031 fire rescue.

the final weight oft the tug i can not guess, because i have problems with the optical design :sceptic: but if is everything going wrong i have a second hull to increase the floating abilitys :laugh:

edit:

the testvessel has changed its place with the final katamaran layout. yes i know, harbour tugs are never katamarans, but i need the water displacement of two hulls.

6821280162_402cabbd2a.jpg

101_9235 von efferman auf Flickr

Edited by efferman

Nice update. That is a very interesting idea. This is going to be some tough competition :wink: .

tim

it was a very good decission to use two boat hulls. with the current building process the center of gravity is too near at the front of the harbour tug. i will have to mount two or more airtanks, under the front between the hulls, to get more water displacement. the rear will be longer and so the center of gravitiy will go back

6970194825_fc386f3ce8.jpg

101_9238 von efferman auf Flickr