pdxbricks

Using rubber caterpillar tracks in LDD

My daughter is trying to design a Mindstorms robot for her school's FLL league in LDD, and would like to use rubber tracks instead of wheels. Neither of us could figure out how to put two rims into the track, part # 56145 Rim Wide w. Cross 30x20 fits on one side of the track, but not on the other one, like it would on a real model.

Has anyone found a way to actually use these rubber tracks successfully in LDD?

Thank you!

If I understand correct pdxbricks, you are referring to using track 53992 with wheels 56145. The answer is that no, that's unfortunately not possible. As you say, the track is smaller in one end. I think it was modeled that way to fit a particular set once upon a time. But I've taken the liberty of reporting this issues to the LDD Team, and maybe they will be able to fix this for the next, upcoming brickset database (which usually arrives about this time each year).

@Zblj - thank you, agreed, you can put 53992 onto 56145 in reality, but not in LDD. Also,she needs to use parts from the Mindstorms set, and the only track in it is 53992.

@Superkalle - yes, sorry, I didn't put in the part number,it is 53992. Thank you for reporting this, it would be great if LEGO can update this part with one that is more useful.

I am second that...I was just going to post new question when I hit this one which is exactly I have problem with (part #53992 is narrow at one end and no brick/wheel in LDD library seem to fit there which is a big problem, cos on the bigger side of the track wheel #56145 fits very fine).

So I hope LDD team will repair this (and maybe they could also make this caterpillar track being "bendable" like hoses to be able set them to wheels into triangular shape, like 2 wheeles down + 1 wheel up and so on)...

If I understand correct pdxbricks, you are referring to using track 53992 with wheels 56145. The answer is that no, that's unfortunately not possible. As you say, the track is smaller in one end. I think it was modeled that way to fit a particular set once upon a time. But I've taken the liberty of reporting this issues to the LDD Team, and maybe they will be able to fix this for the next, upcoming brickset database (which usually arrives about this time each year).

Exactly :wink::thumbup:

Edited by bublible

Exact same problem here. I can't imagine why they would not make it fit when they first created it, why would anybody ever want a piece that doesn't fit? And as bublible said, I think certain pieces should be able to be bendable (I would also like a similar feature for springs to change whether they are squeezed or not). For now, I am just going to leave one of the 56145 pieces out of my LDD model and hope that me and everyone else is smart enough to realize that it needs added.

@njsokalski Please note that the topic you posted in was over 2 years old. A friendly tip is that normally in forums you don't bump an old topic if it's older then, say 6 months, unless you have something very important to add to the topics itself.