Sign in to follow this  
LucasLaughing

[Challenge 3] [Cat. A] [O - H09] Aquatic Expeditions

Tags: Octan, Exploration

Note: my contest entry is a rebuild of the amazing Aquatic Exploration scene by "Soccerkid6," which you should definitely go check out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isaac Redsyn Mission Log:

Another water mission this week, but I got to drive a boat for the first time.

23657259153_e91d91f938_c.jpg

And not any standard boat at that, the "Dragonfly" is a pretty nifty piece of machinery, or maybe I should say pieces of machinery, as it's really two vehicles in one.

23657262773_70c6fef52b_c.jpg

The Dragonfly is designed to transport, launch and recover the "Guppy," an Autonomous Underwater Vehicle which can dive as deep as 10,000 meters! There's room on the boat for a second crew member and space to store a full diving suit. The second crew member can also remotely pilot the "Guppy" from their pod.

23916253489_ed269aab6c_c.jpg

The "Guppy" is primarily used for fast reconnaissance and mapping; once it finds an area of interest we can send in one of the larger subs for sampling and in-depth exploration.

24257966366_74d3b958b5_c.jpg

Speaking of larger subs, I've also gotten to watch the final certification dives for the Deep Exploration Submersible "Ophelia." The sub had a different name, but was unofficially christened "Ophelia" after the first test vehicle sank to the bottom and imploded during a remote controlled test dive.

23657297743_c6c51406ce_c.jpg

All in all, it's a nice day to be on the water (and not under it). Isaac, out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall views:

23657287053_0e68baaf2f_c.jpg

24284117485_2f02a26629_c.jpg

Minisub recovery:

23655847344_91165c7570_c.jpg

Minisub loaded and secured:

23916293259_b272485928_c.jpg

The "Ophelia"

23655846644_8aa28b069a_c.jpg

24175876992_c9afb154e2_c.jpg

24284078395_c9d4a8efab_c.jpg

Behind the scenes:

23988548100_1dc36a84ca_c.jpg

You can see full-sized pics on my flickr. Thanks for viewing!

Some really incredible parts usage! The alien head and hairpieces most of all. I really like the upgraded sub and boat and I like how you've made the undersea life so colorful and vibrant. A fantastic reimagining of the original, which itself was so well done!

This is so beautiful.

The Ophelia have some interesting techniques but the sea floor is fantastic. I especially like the banana bush and Ahsoka fish.

What a great build! The colors are fantastic! I love the unique corals. Your vehicles are all wonderful too. So much awesome to take in.

Awesome underwater terrain MOC.

The way you have attached the surface to give the illusion of being both ontop and under water is working really well.

Also a lot of nice details and touches all over the place.

Love it ! :wub:

:wub: Fantastic remake - possibly my favorite build from you yet. I really like how you've brightened SK's build, and all the details on that sub put it over the top! I'm a sucker for well-done water - and yours is fantastic! The underwater section is great too, very colorful. And the Octan vehicle on top is excellently well done!

Some really incredible parts usage! The alien head and hairpieces most of all. I really like the upgraded sub and boat and I like how you've made the undersea life so colorful and vibrant. A fantastic reimagining of the original, which itself was so well done!

Thank you! I'm glad I was able to do justice to the original build.

This is so beautiful.

The Ophelia have some interesting techniques but the sea floor is fantastic. I especially like the banana bush and Ahsoka fish.

Thanks - I was super happy with how the Ahsoka fish turned out!

What a great build! The colors are fantastic! I love the unique corals. Your vehicles are all wonderful too. So much awesome to take in.

Thank you :classic:

Everything about this build is great and beautifully excecuted! My personal favourite is the sub.

Thanks! The sub took me a long time to get right, so I'm glad it turned out well.

Awesome underwater terrain MOC.

The way you have attached the surface to give the illusion of being both ontop and under water is working really well.

Also a lot of nice details and touches all over the place.

Love it ! :wub:

Thanks! I can't take credit for the water on top of the rocks idea, though - that was one of the coolest parts of the original build.

:wub: Fantastic remake - possibly my favorite build from you yet. I really like how you've brightened SK's build, and all the details on that sub put it over the top! I'm a sucker for well-done water - and yours is fantastic! The underwater section is great too, very colorful. And the Octan vehicle on top is excellently well done!

Thank you - I used up all my light blue trans tiles making the water surface,but I really liked how it turned out.

I could have sworn I commented on this- it's fantastic! :wub: The colors are vibrant and great and I love the use of the city plane fuselage for the submarine. :wub: The trans-blue water is wonderful- would be right at home in the Pirates forum.