Mr. Townsend

WIP Townsend Small Vessel

WIP Gunboat 156

Prior to the Pirates Collab contest I had started to build a replica of Gunboat 156. I parted her out to make my Marblehead Schooner.

Gunboat 156 mounted one 24 pounder long gun on a swivel in the bow and four 12 pounder carronades. She was one of 5 Jeffersonian gunboats to participate in the Battle of Lake Borgne, a small naval action prior to the British invasion a New Orleans at the end of the War of 1815.

Jeffersonian gunboats were notorious for being unseaworthy and difficult to man. Overall these vessels were seen to be a waste of federal funding and by the conclusion of 1815 none were left in service.

This is the original version, built atop a technic frame like Matterhornand Pinnacle.

11457124575_2dbaffa38a_c.jpg

The updated version with snot deck and curved hull technique inspired by Kurigan.

17692163233_9f208d7184_c.jpg

A view from beneath:

18306999852_00af68ffbf_c.jpg

Edited by Mister Phes

Hi, LEGO Pirates fan. I’m Staslegomaster. I like your story and creation. It seems you're a big fan of LEGO, just as I am. And Masterbuilder. Every time I create something, I wonder how other LEGO fans of different ages like it. I’d like to know your opinion on my creation now. You can find it via the link below. Keep in touch!!! I've been collecting LEGO sets for more than 25 years now. Have a look at my LEGO Pirates Battle island in ideas project (the tags are: Pirate Battle island, chess set, pirates jubilee). I like classic pirates most of all. My project tells you their story. Hope, you'll like it. Do you know it has been the most popular series before Star Wars? Which is your favourite series, I wonder? I wish to have your set in my collection. Please follow me and share your impressions on my set. Only when fans support each other, their projects can get 10 000 supporters!

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/101720 -

Hi, LEGO Pirates fan. I’m Staslegomaster. [...] Every time I create something, I wonder how other LEGO fans of different ages like it.

Well Staslegomaster, instead of spamming in the threads of others, how about you create a thread of your own?

What you're currently doing is a fast-track to getting banned, so please stop! By all means, share your CUUSOO project and introduce yourself in your own thread, but do not keep trying to garner support all over this forum.

An update of my Marblehead Schooner, Miss Elizabeth. She is not yet complete but is rather close to it. Some differences from the original version include shortened gunwales and the loss of the topsail on the aftermost mast. This ship is built with a technic frame underneath and a studs on top tiled deck. I tried to build this ship with a vertical curve while avoiding a stepped technique.

18124200650_3fea153c9c_c.jpg

Here is a picture of the original.

13170917014_2b62d4e3dc_c.jpg

Edited by Mr. Townsend

Your sails and rigging are really well done. :wub:

Love your schooner. I'm also working on a schooner at the moment and I've been struggling to get just the right color scheme. I've been studying original schooners for months now and still can't make it look the way I want it, but your Miss Elizabeth has inspired me to jump back into my work. Thanks for sharing!

Excellent work, especially on sails and rigging.

I should try this hull approach one day.

Meanwhile: I don't know how to handle your post (I'm doing stuff like indexing ship MOCs) - is it about the Gunboat or the Miss Elisabeth - or meant to be on several vessels?

Thank you gentlemen!

Love your schooner. I'm also working on a schooner at the moment and I've been struggling to get just the right color scheme. I've been studying original schooners for months now and still can't make it look the way I want it, but your Miss Elizabeth has inspired me to jump back into my work. Thanks for sharing!

I've seen several schooners left with a brown hull with a small amount of accent color like I've portrayed here. In the model I was looking at the dark blue was actually red though. Many were painted black with a thin yellow stripe. This is one of my favorite pictures portraying a few Marblehead Schooners. It always gets my imagination going.

Excellent work, especially on sails and rigging.

I should try this hull approach one day.

Meanwhile: I don't know how to handle your post (I'm doing stuff like indexing ship MOCs) - is it about the Gunboat or the Miss Elisabeth - or meant to be on several vessels?

I really like the effect of the tension-ed bricks technique. It took a small amount of work for me to get the thing to stop falling to bits on me, but after completion its quite sturdy. I want to try it on something bigger. I'm thinking something as big as the USS Wasp. Kurigan was even able to implement a tumblehome on his sloop and if I go for this project after Matterhorn I will test this technique to its fullest.

waspdesign3.jpg

As for indexing this thread wasn't meant for it. I've created it for WIP pictures of ships I deemed too small to merit their own WIP thread. I expect to add more to it as time progresses. As each vessel is completed it will get its on thread for indexing.

Edited by Mr. Townsend

As for indexing this thread wasn't meant for it. I've created it for WIP pictures of ships I deemed too small to merit their own WIP thread. I expect to add more to it as time progresses. As each vessel is completed it will get its on thread for indexing.

When your topsail schooner is complete, it and any of your other complete vessels like it each deserve their own thread. :thumbup:

Gunboat 156 looks pretty good, but I must confess the thought of a 24-pounder on a swivel in the bow nearly made me seasick. With the total armament it's no wonder they were difficult to man. Both versions of the schooner look good, too. I can't decide which one I like better. You really do a good job with those custom hulls and rigging. Keep it up!

Gunboat 156 has her full standing rigging excepting the ratlines and is now ready for her canvas.

21353209738_ca3483e34e_c.jpg

In the end the sails will be fully furled but I couldn't resist making them as detailed as possible.

21514832786_0d6a0a6826_c.jpg

21549786611_6c9592f6a1_c.jpg

Could a moderator please add a "s" to the end of the thread title. To make it "WIP: Townsend Small Vessels". Thank you.

Edited by Mr. Townsend

I can't help being impressed by your custom hulls. Please keep it up on your bigger ships. It's going to be amazing.

Your work on rigging is inspirational. That is just how it should be done. Hope you don't mind if I try to replicate it on future builds.

Hey,

I really like your white flag head, the tack and the throat.

Very smooth shape, excellent rigging!

Maybe you could try to change the blocks for the halyards.

For my gaff I first just used these bricks:

lego-black-pin-joiner-round-with-slot-62462-30-318180-38.jpg

First I didn't like that Lego redesigned them with a slot.

But you can twist a rope, you are using as halyard, into a loop and put it through the slot.

Then just fix the loop inside the tube with some axle.

The rope won't have any problems to move, the tubes offer enough space, Lego put a groove onto the inside where the slot sits.

20141221_001452.jpg_thumb.jpg

You can see the two ropes vanishing into the gaff near the peak.

streamer.jpg_thumb.jpg

I also used this technique for the yards, as can be seen here.

Anyways, awesome work! Glad that you restricted the colours to those four.

Greetings,

Wellesley!

Edited by Wellesley

I can't help being impressed by your custom hulls. Please keep it up on your bigger ships. It's going to be amazing.

Your work on rigging is inspirational. That is just how it should be done. Hope you don't mind if I try to replicate it on future builds.

Thank your Anders T. I'm very excited to try this technique on a bigger ship. Please, replicate anything your like.

Hey,

I really like your white flag head, the tack and the throat.

Very smooth shape, excellent rigging!

Maybe you could try to change the blocks for the halyards.

For my gaff I first just used these bricks:

lego-black-pin-joiner-round-with-slot-62462-30-318180-38.jpg

First I didn't like that Lego redesigned them with a slot.

But you can twist a rope, you are using as halyard, into a loop and put it through the slot.

Then just fix the loop inside the tube with some axle.

The rope won't have any problems to move, the tubes offer enough space, Lego put a groove onto the inside where the slot sits.

20141221_001452.jpg_thumb.jpg

You can see the two ropes vanishing into the gaff near the peak.

streamer.jpg_thumb.jpg

I also used this technique for the yards, as can be seen here.

Anyways, awesome work! Glad that you restricted the colours to those four.

Greetings,

Wellesley!

You did use that brick to very good effect. I normally have tried to steer clear of those due to the slot but I'll look back into the possibilities. :pir-classic: