robuko

Camp at The Temple of The Mad Monks/ Necropolis of Amset Ra

8174963303_809471faa4_z.jpg

The Holy Order of the Mad Monks was founded by Rasputin in search of his lost Isabella. The Temple and Order he founded on the Isle of Arrakheen has long been a magnet for those who want to remember, and those who want to forget. The Temple was built on the ruins of a yet more ancient Holy site, the Necropolis of Amset Ra. Deep beneath those slumbering ruins lie a thousand Holy Guardians, ready to awake and defend their king if they have to. By and large, the Mad Monks and the Guardian Spirits get on well enough, and any confusion is usually put down to drunkenness or madness. Those Guardians have imbued this ancient and terrible site with unearthly powers of protection. It stands alone in the great lake as a beacon of hope amongst chaos. It is here that the Petraea General Trading Company has moved its headquarters.

8174995004_6a71ed003c.jpg

8174962763_41f812fc2b.jpg

8174994810_c7de6c2112.jpg

8174994674_7ce861e067.jpg

Today is a doubly special day at the camp. Our loyalist forces have captured a foul beast that bears the mark of The Hand. He tells us nothing and swears that he fears only Victor. We could torture him, but instead we give him a nice cup of herbal tea and then leave him alone in his cell to see the error of his ways.

8174996698_8172f0f3da.jpg

And, then, we help him to decide he might be ready to talk.

8174994512_3864862a2a.jpg

And sure enough, within a few hours he is begging to tell us everything about Victor's evil plans and the Hand of Corruption. Funny how a nice cup of tea can help you to think it over, I wonder what made him change his mind.

8174996810_ccd4e0967d.jpg

Oh well, good news for us anyway. Even better news is that our Guildsman Dugal Maclean has managed to make it here not only in good health, but with a very pretty young lady in tow and a full dress uniform. They are engaged to be married, so the Reverend Rasputin Jones, who was ordained at this very temple, reads the Holy Vows.

8174964705_7dd9102aa6.jpg

Miss Templeton-Jones is kindly organising an impromptu celebration for the happy couple in the Hall of Heads. Her preparations are only slightly disturbed by the sorceress Byarssh and the Goddess Alessandra, who have harnessed the training form the Order of Eden, and are practising elemental countermagic.

8174996406_874dfc82fb_z.jpg

We were very lucky that chef Antoine and his rather attractive assistant Marie were able to escape the debris and rubble of Nocturnus to join us in this sanctuary. Our tastes are a little more conventional than their previous employer, but cooking in these conditions is a good challenge for them. We do get a lot of beautiful fish and fruit here, and of course Ostrich thighs are a lovely treat.

8174996546_b00833ccf2_z.jpg

But Antoine's new casserole de Lapin aux tomates is a really special dish for the happy occasion.

8174996974_87573b3184_n.jpg

Elsewhere in the camp, life is taking on some semblance of normality. Doktor Frankenstein and his father, also Doktor Frankenstein (very confusing, that one) are building more and more high-power portable heliotropes to take the fight to the enemy, using a new patented lens grinding engine. One of these babies channeling the power of the sun on the back of a camel, and bye bye hand of Corruption! Herr Liebniz thinks there is a pattern in the location of the mystic sanctuaries of Historica, and has been trying to decipher it for us.

8174996266_c87bae51df.jpg

We had a couple of new guys join us this week. Johnny has a real affinity for the animals.

8174997318_d120c260fb.jpg

While Mike seems to have more of an affinity for the Ladies. He did a an extra great job of helping Rowena to dock her cargo of scimitars today. Rowena is a born sailor, she lives on the water now in that funny little boat of hers.

8174963427_9d1c2b8d68.jpg

Anyway, the Quartermaster will be pleased with the scimitars. He has somehow salvaged an extraordinary array of arms. Which he polishes, all the time. A bit creepy.

8174963649_5f33137a4e.jpg

It doesn't worry those old pros Rockbiter or al Jebra though. They are too busy working out our strategy to keep this place off the balance sheet and maintain a high return on capital for the PGTC after we win the war!

8174963103_f2c1ac48e8.jpg

Notes

This is a fully modular structure, although all photos have been taken in situ. Levels are - roof garden, Hall of Heads, kitchen, Workshop, and Dungeon. Transport between levels is by a functional flying carpet elevator. The Dungeon has opening doors. This time I took all the photos with a Galaxy S3 handset as I was so frustrated with my Lumix digicam. I think the focus has generally come out a bit better, though still not wonderful. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the tour of the Temple.

:classic:

Edited by robuko

Great entry, your builds are always very original and this is no exception! I really like the dark blue/white/gold color scheme and border is excellent :thumbup:

You really brought it to life with all the figs and small details :classic:

So many great details here! I love the windows and your take on the waves "rolling' onto the shore :thumbup: Also nice use of the dice tiles and the ruins look great as well. And as always, it was enjoyable reading the commentary for the pics with your humor!

I really like all the details, small and large. The white, blue and gold are just perfect.

Andy D

Your pics are fine Robuko. This build makes me want to join Kaliplin... it literally has that call that just makes me want to be there... Very entrancing and also I love how all the functions are working out. Love this, and good job.

doesn't look like a bad place to take refuge does it? :classic:

good luck!

~legonardo

Great job, like how you dealt with the "hand of corruption" minifig! :rofl: All the little details are great, it's been very interesting seeing all the different ways people came up with to depict life in a camp! I like the ruined section of a pyramid you've got there as well, and very nice temple too! :thumbup:

Your builds allways have a great look, this one is not the exception, I like how you break the the pyramid and build next to it.

The base is just as good as the moc.

Good luck. :thumbup:

Those little Anubis/sphinx things are fantastic. I'll have to remember that if I'm ever in the mood to dig Johnny Thunder out of the giant lego box quicksand he disappeared into...

Briljant! I love all the different levels and there is so much going on. You can look for ten minutes and then you haven't seen half of it yet!

I glanced at your build quick when I was updating the Index, and I've been really looking forward to taking a better look. This is Awesome! My favorite build of yours yet! (In terms of building, not in terms of humor) The dark blue and white go great together and you've got some great detailing on the windows and arches. I also really like the border and the little covered boat. As always, the story is excellent as well, and I laughed at a couple parts of your description.

This is definitely one of my favorite entries for this challenge. Great job!

I really like the colors of this one, the dark blue and white are very striking together.

My favorite parts are the hollowed out pyramid ruins and the floor mosaic with the game tiles. I always wondered what could be done with those, who knew they made such a nice pattern when put together.

Great job :thumbup:

That base design is very nice! Great how it became water!

Love the fact that you built so much on the height and all the places are packed with great details!

Well done!

It's not nice of you, you never give me any chance to find any criticism in your work :cry_sad:

No, seriously, WOW! :blush: