Captain Green Hair

MOC: Modified 10194 Emerald Night

traintech1.jpg

Hey guys,

I finally got round to modding my Emerald Night into a version I like. So far I have only made 1 coach, but I plan to add 4 more in the future.

The train is based on the Orient Express trains and is now in 8 wide.

Here's some pictures:

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

You might wonder why there are wires sticking out the back of the coach, well:

image015.jpg

Hey are they famous? :

image016.jpg

The inside:

image017.jpg

The idea is to build the battery box into the luggage coach and then run wires and 9V lights all through the train.

For more pictures and detail, go to Brickshelf.

Thanks and enjoy!

That is truly beautiful... exactly to scale and proportions look perfect.. The carriages are great - and the use of the Log pieces really helps make up the detail. I wonder how many Grand Emporiums went into the Log look... and perhaps some chandeliers?

With the engine - well - it remains excellent; just a little stubby compared to the carriage (a 6s longer firebox perhaps). Is there internal space for PF motors without having to remove the furnace features...

Actually im half way through modding my carriages (x4) into 7 wide; longer versions and any addition hints on how to may a replica in pure homage? Since Brickshelf is not yet up, Im assuming all carriages were 8 wide, along with the elongated tender.

Edited by roamingstudio

That's amazing! The sheer length of the cabin is amazing, and I love that you removed those annoying black things from the side of the tank. :thumbup:

Excellent work 'Captain Green Hair' - love the extension work you have done, interior lit as well, very nice ! :grin:

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Great work Rick! You said you were going to give the coaches light, but I didn't expect it to turn out well. One thing I'm not sure of though, how many lights are in the coach? It looks like maybe 4, but I think it could benefit from a 5th. You'll have to give the front of the loco a light too, and maybe one for the drivers cab. But that could have a trans red piece over it to resemble fire.

Does the loco have the internal gear workings inside it?

And top job on the steps at the back of the loco too.

All round a suprub effort Rick, you should be very pleased with yourself!

you and i fall into the same category on this one...

i take great pleasure in improving an already great set!

any 6 year old can stumble through the instruction book and put any set together but a true genius improves on the design

*you have created something fantastic here and i tip my hat to you ;)*

i would love to see what you could do/or have already done with set #4511 high speed train

(that is my project at the moment)

Nicely done! I love the extra length of the passenger/dining car. With the lights, you've really added an aura of elogance and mystery. Great job. :thumbup:

LOVE IT :thumbup::wub: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a monster of a train (in a good way) and a piece of design genius. I especially like the carriage :oh: . Instructions please :tongue:. Keep up the good work.

Thanks, CB

Thanks guys! :thumbup:

With the engine - well - it remains excellent; just a little stubby compared to the carriage (a 6s longer firebox perhaps). Is there internal space for PF motors without having to remove the furnace features...

If you look closely, there are 2 9V engines under the coach. :wink:

Great work Rick! You said you were going to give the coaches light, but I didn't expect it to turn out well. One thing I'm not sure of though, how many lights are in the coach? It looks like maybe 4, but I think it could benefit from a 5th. You'll have to give the front of the loco a light too, and maybe one for the drivers cab. But that could have a trans red piece over it to resemble fire.

Does the loco have the internal gear workings inside it?

And top job on the steps at the back of the loco too.

All round a suprub effort Rick, you should be very pleased with yourself!

Yeah it has 4 lights, I might change or add in future, but not at the moment.

All gears have been taken out for a smooth ride. :wink:

I would love to see what you could do/or have already done with set #4511 high speed train

(that is my project at the moment)

Would be a challenge, but I look forward to seeing your result!

LOVE IT :thumbup::wub: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a monster of a train (in a good way) and a piece of design genius. I especially like the carriage :oh: . Instructions please :tongue:. Keep up the good work.

Thanks, CB

Sorry, I'm still not good at LDD, MLCAd and those kinda things.

Should be easy enough to rebuild though. :wink:

Great :thumbup: I don't know much about trains but to me this looks like a piece of art :pirate:

It could indeed use one more light but for the rest the lights turned out very well.

A good practice for your ship I think :classic:

Really nice modifications on locomotive and a beautifully designed waggon, you have done a marvelous job !!!

This is a very nice mod of the emerald night. It removes a lot of the more mainland europe features of the Emerald Night such as the smoke deflectors and doors on the tender, and gives it a much more authentic British look in my opinion. The carriage has a real Orient Express feel to it, and the lights really add to that.

Is it just me or is train tech slowly attracting more and more people with peg legs and hooks and eye patches :pir-grin:

This looks fantastic. I suddenly lose the need for a second carriage as well (yes, yes, it would still be nice, but the proportions of the tender and just one carriage are matched quite a bit better here than in the original model).

Thanks guys! :classic:

This is a very nice mod of the emerald night. It removes a lot of the more mainland europe features of the Emerald Night such as the smoke deflectors and doors on the tender, and gives it a much more authentic British look in my opinion. The carriage has a real Orient Express feel to it, and the lights really add to that.

Is it just me or is train tech slowly attracting more and more people with peg legs and hooks and eye patches :pir-grin:

Yeah I modelled after this old LNER loco:

r2485-3065.jpg

Oh and I only have green hair, no hooks, pegs or eye patches here. :wink:

beautiful. thats a monster! 8 wide looks more to scale of the tracks. 6 wide to me is more of a toy, but it works in lego world. great build!

Nice upgrade! Maybe it will look even nicer with a set of the new Big Ben XL wheels (black ones of course)

Big Ben Bricks

I've seen those, not a bad idea. :thumbup:

It would only take me to upgrade the wheels on my other loco as well....

Thanks for sharing!

outstandingly beautiful, I for one can't get the gears on the wheels to move when I run it with a 9V though. :cry_sad: BUT SUPER COOL

Your 8 wide version is exactly how TLG should have done it.

I'm not very satisfied with the 6 wide version.

I'll have to work out how to make it 8 wide. If you have any hint, that would be great, I'm new to trains. So any info is welcome.

outstandingly beautiful, I for one can't get the gears on the wheels to move when I run it with a 9V though. :cry_sad: BUT SUPER COOL

If you're going to power it with 9V motor (assuming you mean the tender mod), there's no reason to even have the gears at all... just remove them, all they do is create friction.

Your 8 wide version is exactly how TLG should have done it.

That would have made it incompatible with all the other lego trains. Once you make one train on your layout 8 wide, then you'll have to do the same for all the other trains because those won't look anymore in comparison.

Yeah I modelled after this old LNER loco:

Hi Rick, this is a really great MOD! I just found it in your flickr folder.

Captures the look of the Flying Scotsman very well!