Sign in to follow this  
legocanuck

Lego. Better?

Hey everyone,

I was browsing images of the various new sets (Lone Rangers, StarWars, etc.) and even last years sets and thought...

Is it just me or has Lego stepped up their game?

Now, not all the sets are home runs, but it many of the minifigures are amazing.

Some sets look more like mocs that builders on here made, and by that I don't mean they just look great but they use a lot of smaller pieces not just panels for walls.

The mine from lone ranger and the big set from galaxy squad in particular. The new starwars minfigures all look awesome.

Some sets look great for older children and adults, but I can imagine being a kid absolutely loving the Chima and Castle series.

Anyway, just my 2c. I've yet to buy any of the newer sets, so I can't vouch for quality, but they do look really good.

What do you guys think, has Lego stepped up their game to be more competitive? Or is the progression of new technology allowed for them to build better "toys"?

Well I think it's a combination of things. New technology and more knowledge gives us better quality. And then the LEGO designers are getting smarter and more wise. Their coming up with new techniques and unique ways to use pieces. Not just the mini-figs are getting better, but everything. :thumbup:

It's not a sudden thing. They have very steadily been stepping up their game since 2009 or so. Just some very spectacular things with lots of little details. Granted there are still a few flubs here and there. (Sadly the Super Hero's sets just don't seem to have the impact that the LR ones, other than really cool figs). But yeah the Lone Ranger sets seem spectacular even by their modern standards. They just capture everything we have been craving. Details, colors, interesting builds in a distinct setting, and truly spectacular minifigs.

I think the increase in competition has a lot to do with it. Not just with Megabloks, Kre-o and the like, but also with the MOCs that AFOLs are coming out with. There's a trickle-down effect from things like building techniques and styles, and most designers at LEGO are happy to admit that they're inspired by some of the models that AFOLS build.

20 years ago, when most of us were kids playing with Lego, this simply wasn't possible - not only were the clone brands pretty much entirely naff, the lack of the internet meant that people couldn't share ideas.

Networking and the web has a lot to do with it, I agree with Bobsy. It is very interesting to watch TLG grow as a social brand, I think they have been doing great.

Lego. Yellow. Different. Better.

That's what I thought when i first saw the title of this post, and I do agree that sets have been getting better over the years.

I'll echo what's already been stated - yes, Lego is getting better. It's the hallmark of a fundamentally successful company to continue growing, changing, and innovating their product. I honestly cannot think of another toy company that has been able to achieve what Lego has - Hasbro, Kenner, Mattel, etc have all had moments and in some cases years of excellence, but Lego beats all of them.

in my opinion, the other companies are trying too hard to capture the hearts of consumers. A wide range of products meant that there isn't enough thought and care put into their products. As for LEGO, they only focus on one thing, LEGO, and its iconic. It relates. And they are getting better at it every year. And yes, they are the best and getting good at being the best.

Edited by Chichar

LEGO has definitely stepped up their game. I would say ever since the Indy & Modular themes came out, their sets and minifigures have just been getting better and better. Take a look at the King Theoden minifig. So fantastically detailed.

Its really upsetting for my wallet that TLG is putting out so many great sets/themes. I know some people frown at the detailed figs, but I think they're brilliant. They're no different than detailed set designs we get, everything is getting better. Chima is definitely some of the best figs(collectively) that LEGO has ever produced.

After seeing the Toy Fair pics, seeing what they're coming out with, especially in Galaxy Squad, there isn't one set in this theme that I don't want. If there wasn't so many other sets I wanted this year, I would buy doubles of the entire theme.

I cannot agree more with what has been posted above. Lego has never been as appealing as now. All the lines are coming with amazing sets, Lone Rangers being on the top of my list. The new architectural set is really getting me interested into that line. The latest modular looks tremedeous on the outside. The minifigs of LOTR look awesome. Finally, the recent TGV uses new techniques. I think that now more than ever Lego can appeal quite a large audience.

Oh I almost forgot about friends. My step sister is such a fan of that line.

I agree with a lot that has been said here. I think the internet has helped kick start this increase in creativity (from TLG and from AFOLS). Now everyone can compare notes and come up with new ideas to show off. Together with TLG taking an interest in the fan communities I think the improvement of sets was bound to happen. I know that I had no tremendous interest in the Lone Ranger sets before I saw them, but now that I have the Mine looks great and the Train might be a purchase for me too.

in my opinion, the other companies are trying too hard to capture the hearts of consumers. A wide range of products meant that there isn't enough thought and care put into their products. As for LEGO, they only focus on one thing, LEGO, and its iconic. It relates. And they are getting better at it every year. And yes, they are the best and getting good at being the best.

I partly agree with you and partly disagree with you on this. The part that I agree with you on this in that at least some of the other companies are trying too hard to capture the figurative hearts of consumers. However, the part that I disagree with you on this on that LEGO only focuses on one thing. I'm saying this because: one, LEGO also does a wide range of products (they still do extended line products like clothing, magnets and keychains, way more than they did in the 1980's and 1990's, as an example, and they do too many useless themes, such as single (one and then done, never to be seen again) licensed and unlicensed themes), and two, they put in way, way too many named characters in sets and not nearily enough generic, grunt, nameless, foot soldier type of minifigures in sets. This is especially true in licensed themes like Star Wars, where there is not even one regular, Imperial Trooper in any of the sets (no, General Veers doesn't count as one, as he is an Imperial Trooper Officer), whereas in the movies there are way, way more Imperial Troopers than there are Storm Troopers, black Elite Storm Troopers, Sand Troopers, Snow Troopers and Death Star Troopers combined there, but unlicensed themes are not immune to this either, such as in the Legends of Chima theme, where there is, so far, not even one proper generic, unnamed Lion or Crocodile animal warrior, as two examples, in any of the sets or Speedorz, for us to army build there without us in having a clone of Leonidases or Crawleys, for example. Therefore, I strongly believe that LEGO is, more or less, doing the exact same thing as these other companies in them trying to hard to capture the figurative hearts of consumers, as well as them not putting enough thought, effort and care into their products.

Edited by Good Cragger Fan

That's because the average kid who buys a Lone Ranger set is going to want to play with The Lone Ranger, not a bunch of nameless grunt footsoldiers. You can't expect that every kid is going to get every Lone Ranger set just to get your hypothetical one or two that have a The Lone Ranger minifig.

Similarly, what kid is going to buy an X-Wing starfighter if they can't play with Luke Skywalker to pilot it? You think the kid wants to fly around as "Unnamed extra X-Wing pilot who is only seen in the movie screaming as he gets blown up and crashes into the Death Star"? How about no?

Same thing going back to the Classic Pirates days - not *every* Pirates set had a Brickbeard hook-n-pegleg captain, but several of the biggest would, and if you bought a Black Seas Barracuda and a Rock Island Refuge and a Skull Island, yes, you'd end up with a bunch of Brickbeards. That's because what good is a pirate ship without a captain to go YARR MATEY?

LEGO is not going to compromise play value for the kids who can only get one or two sets just so that the grognards who buy the entire lineup don't end up with Luke Skywalker and Brickbeard in quintuplicate. The average kid who buys a LEGO set is not looking to "army-build." So yeah, I mean, I see what you're aiming at, but there's a good reason that TLG does it the way they do it. There's always the secondary market if you want to buy a pile of grunt minifigs.

Edited by polarscribe

This is especially true in licensed themes like Star Wars, where there is not even one regular, Imperial Trooper in any of the sets (no, General Veers doesn't count as one, as he is an Imperial Trooper Officer), whereas in the movies there are way, way more Imperial Troopers than there are Storm Troopers, black Elite Storm Troopers, Sand Troopers, Snow Troopers and Death Star Troopers combined there,

I always thought sets like this give a nice assortment of imperial types http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=9492-1 or this one http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=8084-1 (which I think has one of your actual imperial troopers).

I understand your frustrations, but I don't think it is quite as bad as it seems. Part of the problem is the modern fans and kids like the collecting minigame. They like the vast field of named unique characters. These tend to drive set sales moreso then the generic army builder faces less figs. Yes there is a market and niche for army building, but it isn't a huge retail draw, at least not among the kiddies.

But even then part of it is also observer error. There are plenty of hemes that do have a nice assortment of army build type generic foes. Lone Ranger has the Cavalry set and a good mix of generic bad guys. While Chima seems focused in the gotta collect em all mindset, its counterpart Ninjago has both the stone army guys and the lower tier snake guys. The TMNT sets have a Foot Footsoldier in almost every set. I don't think anyone would accuse the LotR line of being stingy with the Uruk Hai? (Although granted most fans would like a broader range of Moria and Mordor orcs.)

So the actual results will vary a lot line by line theme by theme. And seems more to revolve around both the there's story and it's specifically designed marketing approach. ( ie Chima's design goals are very different than say LotR's)

That's because the average kid who buys a Lone Ranger set is going to want to play with The Lone Ranger, not a bunch of nameless grunt footsoldiers. You can't expect that every kid is going to get every Lone Ranger set just to get your hypothetical one or two that have a The Lone Ranger minifig.

Similarly, what kid is going to buy an X-Wing starfighter if they can't play with Luke Skywalker to pilot it? You think the kid wants to fly around as "Unnamed extra X-Wing pilot who is only seen in the movie screaming as he gets blown up and crashes into the Death Star"? How about no?

Same thing going back to the Classic Pirates days - not *every* Pirates set had a Brickbeard hook-n-pegleg captain, but several of the biggest would, and if you bought a Black Seas Barracuda and a Rock Island Refuge and a Skull Island, yes, you'd end up with a bunch of Brickbeards. That's because what good is a pirate ship without a captain to go YARR MATEY?

LEGO is not going to compromise play value for the kids who can only get one or two sets just so that the grognards who buy the entire lineup don't end up with Luke Skywalker and Brickbeard in quintuplicate. The average kid who buys a LEGO set is not looking to "army-build." So yeah, I mean, I see what you're aiming at, but there's a good reason that TLG does it the way they do it. There's always the secondary market if you want to buy a pile of grunt minifigs.

If that it the case (but this never applied to me, even when I was a child, since I did do army-building of minifigures even way back then!), then the LEGO Group should have every single minifigure part, them including Licensed minifigures, or LEGO should stop making licensed sets if they cannot come to an agreement to sell the licensed minifigure parts individually with no unreasonable limits on how many in which one customer can buy on Pick-A-Brick on www.shop.LEGO.com (I'm especially looking at you, Hasbro and Disney!). Aternatvely, they should at least, at the bare minimum sell every single current non-licensed minifigure part individually on Pick-A-Brick on LEGO Shop-At-Home's website, at the bare minimum, if not at LEGO Brand Retail Stores in their Pick-A-Brick wall and/or Build-A-Minifigure bins, especially minifigures that are from the Castle and/or Kingdoms, Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu, Legends of Chima, City and, maybe even the LEGO Minifigures line (though that may not be possible and/or neccessary there). In this way, it would make it way, way easier for anyone, it also including children, to army build minifigures without for them in having to pay for shipping and handing, play the figurative waiting game for the goods to arrive at their house and pay with a credit card, money order and/or chegue (as these methodes of payment cost extra money, in service fees and/or charges, especially the last two, though them paying by a cradit card can also cost extra money if they don't pay the balance in full when it is due by a certain date, and many people, including myself, cannot afford the extra services fees (LEGO is expensive enough already here in Canada!)).

I always thought sets like this give a nice assortment of imperial types http://www.brickset....ail/?Set=9492-1 or this one http://www.brickset....ail/?Set=8084-1 (which I think has one of your actual imperial troopers).

I understand your frustrations, but I don't think it is quite as bad as it seems. Part of the problem is the modern fans and kids like the collecting minigame. They like the vast field of named unique characters. These tend to drive set sales moreso then the generic army builder faces less figs. Yes there is a market and niche for army building, but it isn't a huge retail draw, at least not among the kiddies.

But even then part of it is also observer error. There are plenty of hemes that do have a nice assortment of army build type generic foes. Lone Ranger has the Cavalry set and a good mix of generic bad guys. While Chima seems focused in the gotta collect em all mindset, its counterpart Ninjago has both the stone army guys and the lower tier snake guys. The TMNT sets have a Foot Footsoldier in almost every set. I don't think anyone would accuse the LotR line of being stingy with the Uruk Hai? (Although granted most fans would like a broader range of Moria and Mordor orcs.)

So the actual results will vary a lot line by line theme by theme. And seems more to revolve around both the there's story and it's specifically designed marketing approach. ( ie Chima's design goals are very different than say LotR's)

I'm sorry for the double post. However, in the Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu theme, there are no lowest tier Serpentine (i.e., nameless, mooks (or villainous grunts)) in the actual sets -- even though there are plenty of them in the TV series, not only in terms of numbers but also in the amount of screen time in which they get there. Also, this is why I strongly believe in the idea of LEGO in splitting into two companies: one for the children with Licensed and story-driven themes (i.e., Star Wars and Legends of Chima) with no or almost no unnamed characters in minifigure form; and one for the teenagers and, especially, adults who are fans of LEGO but are army-builders who want lots of nameless, grunts (both mooks (villains) and red shirts (heros)) of soldiers of all types in addtion to some named characters as the leaders and leader-assistants [i.e., Classic Castle (1978 to 1998 (or maybe 2000's Knights Kingdom and 2007 to 2009's Castle (the Fantasy Era) and 2010 to 2012's Kingdoms)), and Classic Pirates (1989 to 1997 (or maybe 2009 to 2010 Pirates))]. :wink: Finally, the 9492-1 and 8084-1 Star War sets do not have any nameless, grunt Imperial Troopers (Imperial Snow Toopers and Storm Troopers and Tie Pilots do not count here!). :wink:

Edited by Good Cragger Fan

So you want to take a good stable company, that has worked out a highly successful marketing strategy of varying the rarity or availability of certain of thei character representations, in order to function as a sales driver (and please note, it is the upswing in sales that drives all of the set and quality improvements we are talking about here. In this respect more sales = very good for fans). And you want it to tear itself apart, savage its developmental process, and offer the highest margin element of its product, the character Minifigs, the things that drive the theme sales, for pennies on the dollar as parts, in bulk?

Wow! You do realize that everything you ask for would quickly and efficiently kill off the company that you love, right?

Good Cragger Fan.

We The Staff are finding all this Bold Text Shouty and Annoying! Please tone it down or we will have to have words!

See, it looks super argumentative at best or just really really desperate for attention at worst. Not things we really want on the forum. Posting ettiquet should be foremost in any forum users mind. Thank you.

GCF, I'm assuming that your definition of a lowest tier anything would have to be a nameless character? I really don't think so, you have an army of short, rabbit toothed snakes or you call them all Chokun. What's the big deal? On the basis of that I would say Chima has a few lower tier army building characters - in the movie there are clearly more than one of some released (named) characters, maybe it seems silly to have a dozen figs with the same name, but for one thing you can easily use your imagination, or, hey, it's a fantasy world anyways! Lots of nameless characters can be great if you/your parents have no problem spending a lot on LEGO, but if not, I personally would rather have the named stars instead of Joe the clone pilot that got blown up or whatever. Besides like Faefrost said, there are army builders in some themes, and the CMF line is great for that too.

Anyway, on the original topic, I have to agree that all the LR sets look fantastic. In general, LEGO does seem to have been getting better with building techniques, etc. Even if the sets aren't amazing in themselves, in nine cases out of ten the pieces are tremendously useful!

We've absolutely seen a huge surge in a lot of subtle things in the past year or so that have taken Lego's improvements since 2007-2009 to a new level. Just a few worth noting.

- Labor of love sets such as Helm's Deep or the Unexpected Gathering. Just from all the subtle details and neat intricate builds you know that the design team was creating their personal masterpieces. They loved these subjects and poured themselves into them, and it shows in the product.

- some evolving built in play concepts, especially over in this years city line. Firefighters have things on fire. Cops have crime scenes and crimes in progress. There is a balanced and more refined play element than we have ever seen before. Each set tells its story wonderfully and wordlessly. They are not simply vehicle sets. They each have a task. Wonderful stuff.

- some of the subjects have become a pop culture pipe dream for many of us. Show of hands, how many would have expected we would be getting Star Wars, and Marvel and DC and TMNT and LotR all in one year? Breathtaking.

- and unexpectedly to all of this, the LR stuff might be the crowning glory of the year. It looks like they spread that labor of love throughout an entire wave.