Sign in to follow this  
Norrington

"Dead Men Tell No Tales" Vignette Contest - Discussion

Discussion for the Dead Men Tell No Tales Vignette Contest

Here was the original idea...

DeadMenTellNoTales.jpg

Psst! Avast there! It be too late to alter course, mateys. And there be plundering pirates lurkin' in ev'ry cove, waitin' to board. Sit closer together and keep your ruddy hands in board. That be the best way to repel boarders. And mark well me words, mateys: Dead men tell no tales! Ye come seekin' adventure with salty old pirates, eh? Sure you've come to the proper place. But keep a weather eye open mates, and hold on tight. With both hands, if you please. Thar be squalls ahead, and Davy Jones waiting for them that don't obey.

Well, the purpose of this contest is to give some credit to the classic DisneyLand attraction that has inspired not just a seris of movies, but has entertained audiences around the world. THis is commerateing the last attraction that the Great Walter Elias Disney before his death in 1967,and his 100th birthday this year.

I have decided to make a vignette contest based on a ride that is made of a bunch of very big vignettes. There has been alot of PotC movie stuff on BS, but no PotC ride stuff, so in honour of the Attraction that inspired it all! I look forward to what you will create.

The revised rules:

- The vig can be any size that has length and widths in multiples of 8.

- The vig can depict an scene from the Pirates of the Caribbean ride.

- Starting this Monday, you have until April 19th to enter your vigs before this thread is closed and my personal judging happens.

- Only three contest entry per person.

- Image size may be no larger than 320 x 240 (landscape or portrait).

- File size may be no larger than 100 KB.

- Any background image may be used for your scene including real models.

- Judging will be performed by Eurobricks members as a separate poll.

- Have fun!

After the thread is closed, I will take a couple of days for my private judging, then I will post my top 5, and a poll for people to vote in and decide which is the best in 3 categories: Build, Accuracy, and Figures. Unfortunatly, I cannot offer a prize except for winning the respect and admiration for your building skills from the Eurobricks community.

The competition his been arranged, so submit entries in this thread from Monday 16th of April onwards.

For those unfamilair with the Pirates of the Caribbean Ride visit the Pictorial Synopsis thread.

Well, not many people have been on this ride. I don't think much can be done with the pictures from that website either. If it was a vig contest, I would go toward more original ideas for vigs.

Well, I have decided to make a vignette contest based on a ride that is made of a bunch of very big vignettes.

I like your initiative Mr Norrington, but how well have you thought this through? What prizes will you be offering Mr Norrington? Who wil be judging the vignettes?

2) The scenes must be the original, i.e. the "Politicly-incorect" 8-( chase scene. The only things allowed from the 1997 rehab are the spanish soldiers' heads poking out of the bombarding the fort scene, the looters in the upramp, and the skeletons in the upramp.

Like Mr Imperial Scouts mentions not that many users will have been on this ride and I'm one of them, so I have no idea what you're referring to in this example.

Mabye a in-depth description of the ride by someone would be very helpful...

I could be a judge!

I have heard about the ride, and on the first POTC movie bonus disk( 2 or 3) it has a history of the ride ( a little long).

This is also for download on the intranet somewhere...

Obviously people will judge, but which people?

I'm not sure about a content, but you certainly have done a good job giving a run down on the Dead Men Tell No Tales ride. So well done! *y*

Well that was interesting. Yay *y* ! I have no time to enter though.

Well, Phes, jsut random members will vote which ones they think are the best, similar to Brickster's Magnificant Knight Contest. Also the ride is called "Pirates of the Caribbean." "Dead men tell no tales" is just the words that the ghostly voice says in the grotto squence. Also, the various scences have been changed scince 1967. The ride did not originally have 1) The Spanish Soldiers in the fort 2) The Looter at the very end but were added in 1997 along with the redone chase scene. Then in 2005 they added Jack Sparrow to the dunking, having hide behind some dress maker's dolls, in the barrel looking the pooped pirate's treasure map over his shoulder, and in the treasure room where the looter was, Davy Jones appeared in one of the waterfalls, and Barrabosa was made the captain of the Wicked Wench.

Maybe to get the contest more attention, you could front page it? That worked for Brickster's reveiw of the CC. Or front page it on Pirate-bricks?

I have been on the ride, and I understand the rules. When should I start building? I have an idea, but it will be pretty small.

Well, the purpose of the contest is to give credit to the original Pirates of the Caribbean ride, which inspired the movies. The main reason thugh, is because PotC was Walt Disney's last attraction that he worked on before he passed away in 1967, and this year is Walt's 100th birthday.

The revised rules:

-The vig can be any size that has length and widths in multiples of 8.

-The vig can depict an scene from the Pirates of the Caribbean ride.

- Starting this Monday, you have until April 19th to enter your vigs before this thread is closed.

- Only one contest entry per person.

- Image size may be no larger than 320 x 240 (landscape or portrait).

- File size may be no larger than 100 KB.

- Any background image may be used for your knight including real models.

- Judging will be performed by Eurobrick members as a separate poll.

-Have fun!

After the thread is closed, I will take a couple of days to think, then I will post my top 5, and a poll for people to vote in and decide which is the best in 3 categories: Build, Accuracy, and Figures.

Hope this clarifies it enough to have it Front-paged.

I'm working on mine right now, actually. I post pics when it's done. It's almost done. *sweet*

Those rules really need to be at the top of the thread too.

It has been edited M'lord.

I'm working on mine right now, actually. I post pics when it's done. It's almost done. *sweet*

Sounds good. I have to post pics of mine soon...

I don't see why I couldn't. I'm not going to be judging, just posting my 5 favs, then open a poll for the members of Eurobricks to decide.

Well, it's kind of odd for the host to enter, but you can. So does everbody get to post their 5 favs? Perhaps it should just be a poll? Like the Haloween contest was.

NO. As I said above, I, the contest host and therefore judge, post his fave 5, then everyone else vote for their fav in 3 different Categories. Just check my updated 1st post.

Wouldn't it be fairer to have a poll for all the entries (if there are more than five) for the 3 catergories, so that everyone has an equal chance, becasuse some people could put a lot of effort into theirs, but then it may not be one of the five, like ImperialScouts said? (just sayin') :)

No you misunstand. I post my favorite 5 of all of the entries, and then all the entries are in a poll for the members of EB to vote for. Like this:

Poll at top.

Norrington's fave 5:

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

Regular entries for poll refrence:

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

etc...

Norrington: why don't you just include all entries in a single poll. It makes it fair for everyone.

What you might be running up against is those individuals who are not familiar with the ride - but I like the contest. I might even enter.

There's no reason Nor. should NOT be able to participate. His vote counts the same as everyone else.

It's no problem if he participates, but it is kinda unfair that he is also a judge and is entering the contest as well. Therefore the poll should be in one poll and not two.

NO. As I said above, I, the contest host and therefore judge, post his fave 5, then everyone else vote for their fav in 3 different Categories. Just check my updated 1st post.

Now, good luck all participants! This certainly sounds like an interesting contest for the ride!