Sign in to follow this  
Brickington

Student Enrollment: Adding Dialogue to Comics

Here's my job! Hope you enjoy it!

Edited Photo:

precious.jpg

Unedited Photo:

sam_0137.jpg

Let me know if this passes the Lesson! Thank You!

Edited by Brickington

Hi Brickington,

Thank you for having the interest and taking the time to learn about adding dialogue to comics. I'll try to help you the best way I can. :classic:

With regards to your work, here are my comments/questions:

1. First, highlighting the positive: it looks like you already know how to create speech balloons - you've done them neatly and cleanly. :thumbup:

2. I liked the font style you used for the text, perfectly suitable for a comic panel. The font size is ok as it is, though I'm curious to see how it'll look like it the font size were slightly larger (one font size higher probably?).

3. Question: Did you deliberately make Gollum's speech balloon border-less? Any reason why?

4. On speech balloon positioning: The large empty space in the upper right quarter of the panel is quite noticeable, are you intrending to put anything there or you'll leave it as is? If you'll leave it as an empty space, I think the panel would look better if you re-position Gollum's speech balloon a bit higher to occupy some of the bare space above. You could also experiment in moving the knight's speech bubble to the right side - just to try how it'll minimize the empty space on that side.

The points I made are only slight revisions from what you have already made, so I assume it wouldn't take much effort on your part. It's simply "trial-and-error", so I'll wait for your responses and revised work. :classic:

Ok, give a couple of minutes!

Here you go! I took in your advice and thought this would be best.

edited.jpg

Edited by Brickington

Wow, that was quite a fast revision! :laugh:

See how a li'l bit of tweaking of the font size and repositioning of speech balloons could do wonders? I like this revised version now, I think the larger font looks better and the two repositioned speech bubbles have effectively occupied the previous empty space. It looks much much better now IMO. :thumbup:

I'm quite satisfied with this now, just correct the minor typo "Precous!" (missing "i") and it's all good to me and I'll pass this lesson. :wink:

Thank you! Now off to my second lesson! :classic:

Here is the finished product. I just changed the typo. Thank you for your time.

mysuperlamepic_2b7b7bc557d4cdc4a5260f2205360420.jpg

If I may add as a lifelong comicbook reader.

Normally the speech ballons don't cover the person speaking. The point of the balloon usually points to the head or person and are not placed in front of them directly to the mouth.

And now both balloon have dfferent font sizes. That can be on purpose making Gollum speak more softly. If that isn't the intention font size should be the same. different font sizes is a way to expres loudness of speech and so on.

Good luck!

Edited by L-space

If I may add as a lifelong comicbook reader.

Normally the speech ballons don't cover the person speaking. The point of the balloon usually points to the head or person and are not placed in front of them directly to the mouth.

And now both balloon have dfferent font sizes. That can be on purpose making Gollum speak more softly. If that isn't the intention font size should be the same. different font sizes is a way to expres loudness of speech and so on.

Good luck!

I did so gollum would be softer speaking. :wink: