Logan McOwen

The Custom Gearbox Thread

Ah, the humble gear mechanism. From as early as 1999, a gearbox has been something which has defined a Lego action figure, and arguably made it whole. Although they had an extensive hiatus, gearboxes have returned to constraction in a big way.

Many MOCists are taking inspiration from the reboot of Bionicle, and are mechanising their custom creations. Some, however, aren't just using the gearboxes the Danish gods provided them with. Custom gearboxes have hit the scene, allowing for more unique functionality and animation. Ingenious methods of motion are being integrated into models which would otherwise stand static.

This thread is for you to share your own custom gearboxes, or work together with other users to develop new ideas.

I'll start off by sharing a few of my designs.

LW2 - Designed for stability on larger figures. LW1 (not its official name) is a gearbox coined by ToaLeewan, and is the core design the LW2 adapts upon. I have used this on several models, the first being G2 Umbra.

19021131935_883790760c.jpg18398573144_e09451f54d.jpg

SL1 - Designed to mimic the functionality of the Slizers. Rather superfluous, but still a fun experiment.

19831784809_5acfdbf2bc.jpg19992170026_fd1656fc1c.jpg

K1 - Designed for back and forth shoulder motion, which realigns via an elastic band. I've only used this on Kaikohuru.

20387514292_bce2aeb414.jpg19773445494_974b9a016e.jpg16822668795_a77358baa3.jpg

MG1 - For use on smaller figures that use the 'XT4' frame.

20410605025_85d9d7936e.jpg20223954009_9052a5903d.jpg

Edited by Logan McOwen

I think this might be one of your older designs, or someone from here. I've just changed it to make the arms are in line with the rest of the build.

IMAG0210_1.jpg

It also uses the "3L axle with stud" where the stud has been cut off.

IMAG0212_1.jpg

For regular torso frames, the arm section needs to be completely cut off.

No, that's not one of mine. Aside from the brutal, non-purist nature of constructing it (which I don't vilify), my main concern with it is sturdiness.

Due to Technic's tendency to flex, a common problem with custom gearboxes is that the sides can sag outwards due to the weight of the arms pulling down on the shoulder axles. This isn't much of an issue with knobbed gears, but with standard toothed gears like in this design you've shown me, sagging can cause the gears to pull apart and skip over each-other when in motion. This is why my MG1 gearbox has that bar across the top - it keeps the structure tightly enclosed, and the gears meshed.

It's still a very good design however, if a bit unorthodox.

Edited by Logan McOwen

With that MOC in particular, the gears never skip and the sides stay in position (thanks to the unmodified 3M axle with stud). This is with a very short arm and a lightweight weapon, but it even works fine with Tahu's arm/arms and his big silver swords.. The only way to make it skip is by turning the back knob while holding the arm in place.

These 12 tooth gears have more backlash than the standard knob gears, which is a bit annoying. The geared arm tends to slide off the gearbox more than the regular setups, but that's because I went for 7M shoulder width while still using the broad chest piece and the knob gears have slightly more friction than the 12 tooth ones.

Well, that's good to hear then. I might try a more legal version of this build when I have access to parts. Have you any indication of who came up with it?

I had a bash at it, but it's awfully inelegant.

21417897630_e1da0e7645_c.jpg

21419011179_2e45ef67db_c.jpg

20984810043_a966a4c37f_c.jpg

I've built it IRL, and it's very top heavy. Also, I can't see any way one would add friction to it. I might try and refine it, but it's honestly very different to construct something like this with decent proportions.

Parts list for anyone who wants it.

Edited by Logan McOwen

Yikes, that seems a little excessive. I think it's safe to say we're getting new torso pieces next year(I like stating the obvious). I do hope, whatever it is, that it has friction. Although it's been awhile since I've had them assembled, I don't think I had too terribly a hard time posing my Rahkshi, Vahki, or Krekka...

Edited by MakutaOfWar

I had a bash at it, but it's awfully inelegant.(snip'd)I've built it IRL, and it's very top heavy. Also, I can't see any way one would add friction to it. I might try and refine it, but it's honestly very different to construct something like this with decent proportions.Parts list for anyone who wants it.
Yikes, that seems a little excessive. I think it's safe to say we're getting new torso pieces next year(I like stating the obvious). I do hope, whatever it is, that it has friction. Although it's been awhile since I've had them assembled, I don't think I had too terribly a hard time posing my Rahkshi, Vahki, or Krekka...

That's a very good whack at a new torso. Have you tried using Technic brackets like this or this?

Edited by TheDesuComplex

Y'know, I don't even own either of those parts. But now, I really do. They might be just the ticket!

EDIT: I dub thee, the TW1!

21681513398_d93b5c8fb1_c.jpg

As I don't own any of those fancy bracket pieces, this is yet to be tested, so build and utilise it at your own discretion.

More pictures on Tumblr.

Edited by Logan McOwen

I return, with new gearboxes a-plenty! While the TW1 was nice and all, I came up with a much more elegant and much stronger design...

...the TW2!

22060378863_bc06c21f96_c.jpg

22681529535_071ce3f319_c.jpg

This gearbox is designed to not only provide waist motion, but also to accommodate Lego’s own shoulder gearbox from 2015, like this, giving figures a wide range of automated motion. This could always be replaced with a static shoulder structure though, much like I have here and here. More pictures and a parts inventory can be found here.

I also designed a bespoke gearbox with a similar function for Goruk, Master of Titanium. Let's call it the TW-L1.

23566134646_003b2a1729_c.jpg

23592166775_4ba94e2bf1_c.jpg

And finally for today, here's the SS1, a super slimline gearbox for driving a character's shoulder joints.

21996351170_5359d2cf28_c.jpg

I would recommend using standard 4M axles for the shoulder axles though, as these versions with stoppers that I've used in the LDD model are ridiculously tricky to get in and out of the bracket piece. Also, I'd advise against a particularly heavy arm build if you're opting for this design, as that would put quite a bit of strain on the bracket piece.

Edited by Logan McOwen

I haven't built much actionfigures, and particularly not my own, and I wonder why the different gearboxes are named as they are.

I haven't built much actionfigures, and particularly not my own, and I wonder why the different gearboxes are named as they are.

The naming strategy I use is quite simple, really, if a bit too formal for the subject matter. The letters are either a shortening of the gearbox's namesake, or an acronym. The number denotes the version of the design.

• LW2 is named after ToaLeewan, the guy who made the gearbox the LW2 is based on. His original design is what I consider "LW1".
  • SL1 is named after the Slizers, which the mechanism was inspired by.
  • K1 is named after Kaikohuru, the first MOC is used it in.
  • MG1 stands for Mini Gearbox 1.
  • TW1 is short for Twist 1. Same with TW2. The L in TW-L1 stands for Large.
  • SS1 stands for Super Slim 1.

Edited by Logan McOwen

Now that we know more about the torso beam for the Uniters, you could probably start conceptualizing how to adapt some of these gearbox designs to fit the new torso. Because the new torso lacks ball joints, additional gear functions don't necessarily need to be set back the way they do on current torso beams. Here's a basic design I've come up with on LDD for adding a 2015-esque gear function to the new torso—it's not that hard at all, though adding additional friction might be slightly trickier with this design.

adding additional friction might be slightly trickier with this design.

Trickier ? What about simply using something like this ?

Trickier ? What about simply using something like this ?

I was more worried about if you needed more than one gear's worth of friction. Though I suppose you might be able to add a third gear on the front, depending on how much clearance the new torsos allow.

Discussion like this would be more appropriate in the Technic forum due to it's use of Technic pieces...

Just kidding. :grin: It's been fun watching these gearboxes be described! Makes me want to learn how to build custom CCBS frames, since the current frames are kind of limiting.

Figure I'd add my own two cents on this. I have 3 gearboxes I made as well.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/takanuinuva/mc/gearboxes_1.png

The one on the left is my Custom protector gearbox for Ekimu and Makuta, It works better than a regular gearbox cause it allows more head movement and allows a 6M shell to be attached to the torso

The middle one is a mod if Leewan's TWI with the added ability to attach shoulder armor and have back connections for weapon storage.

The third one is a dual function gearbox. Turning the gear on the waist both moves the torso side to side and makes the arms go up and down.

Back view of the 3 gearboxes

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/takanuinuva/mc/gearboxes_2.png

LXF for the gearboxes

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/takanuinuva/mc/custom_gearboxes..lxf

Discussion like this would be more appropriate in the Technic forum due to it's use of Technic pieces...

No no no no. While this is Technic we're using, this is all relevant to action figures, so I'd rather it stay here.

Now that we know more about the torso beam for the Uniters, you could probably start conceptualizing how to adapt some of these gearbox designs to fit the new torso. Because the new torso lacks ball joints, additional gear functions don't necessarily need to be set back the way they do on current torso beams. Here's a basic design I've come up with on LDD for adding a 2015-esque gear function to the new torso—it's not that hard at all, though adding additional friction might be slightly trickier with this design.

That's pretty nice! I love that the shoulder joints are kept in line with the hip joints. I'll have to try this out when I get my hands on the new torso bone.

Figure I'd add my own two cents on this. I have 3 gearboxes I made as well.

http://www.brickshel...gearboxes_1.png

The one on the left is my Custom protector gearbox for Ekimu and Makuta, It works better than a regular gearbox cause it allows more head movement and allows a 6M shell to be attached to the torso

The middle one is a mod if Leewan's TW1 with the added ability to attach shoulder armor and have back connections for weapon storage.

The third one is a dual function gearbox. Turning the gear on the waist both moves the torso side to side and makes the arms go up and down.

Back view of the 3 gearboxes

http://www.brickshel...gearboxes_2.png

LXF for the gearboxes

http://www.brickshel..._gearboxes..lxf

That third one is genius.

No no no no. While this is Technic we're using, this is all relevant to action figures, so I'd rather it stay here.

I'm teasing. :) I know very well that it belongs here in the Action Figure Forum. I'm just making a joke at the expense of all those who say, "This belongs in another forum for no apparent reason."

The PGD-1 was an attempt to create a more realistic punching motion. I went through a lot of different designs, most of which were either to wide or too bulky. I think I hit a compromise here but I still think it can be improved.

25280177360_41ee7aca2a.jpg

25575792065_8cc6f9fa9b.jpg

Video demonstration: PGD-1 test

Might as well thrown in my two cents on the summer functions. I believe I've come up with a much better and more compact punching action for Quake Beast.

Its built around the star wars constraction torso (Not in Ldd so I made one as a base using other parts)

Its designed to use the Gearaxle piece the creature debuted with (Since its not in ldd this piece was used as a substitute http://img.bricklink.com/P/86/6553.gif )

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/takanuinuva/mc/quake_beast_gearbox_1.png

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/takanuinuva/mc/quake_beast_gearbox_2.png

I have made a custom gearbox using the 2016 Waist Gear Torso. You can use it, but credit is always appreciated. I have built a test MOC to go with it.

You can place friction gears on the back, but unfortunately you can only place two if you want back coverage armor.

To be honest, I really like it because it aligns with the arms, it is small, not clunky, and uses a resource torso instead of an add-on piece.

I know it's an old thread. But thank you so much for sharing these designs. I'm currently using the LW2 In my ice warrior moc.