ReZourceman

The Future of Ninjago

So I was pondering on this the last week or so. What will be next for Ninjago? How long is it likely to run for? With such a strong story is it likely that this will see the longevity of Bionicle and come close to a decade, or will it be cut off in its prime like Exo-Force was?

And also...what is next?

Who will be the next enemies? We have had Skeletons, and now Snakes....next....spirits? Ancient Samurai Rock Creature things?

There is an obvious EPIC choice for a wave....evil Ninjas. Opposites of the main guys, so Dark Blue, Dark Red, Dark Grey and Light Grey and...Dark Green. Or maybe even opposite totally like Pink, Purple, Navy, Etc....

What do you want to see next?

Some more HQs? More cool vehicles? More set pieces?>

I think I heard something about one more wave for 2013 titled "Ninjas vs. Pirates", but nothing more than that.

From what I've experienced of the theme, I feel that while Ninjago certainly has been huge success and I can see it lasting for at least another year (after 2012), I'm not entirely sure what other directions it can go in.

Bluebeard, out-

Well of course it is nothing certain yet but I'm kinda thinking that Pirates vs Ninjas rumor is true. But after that, will it still continue? It depends on if children still playing spinjitsu game and buying sets. Mainly the spinjitsu game tho.

But to be honest, I don't mind having Ninjago in both 2013 and 2014 too ^^

Edited by Dharkan

I honestly thought when Ninjago was first released I thought it was only going to be out for 1 year like some other themes. But I was surprised to see it last for longer. I've not payed much attention to the ninjago line but Im looking forward to see it in the future.

The pirates vs ninja's does sounds interesting and if it is real then it would be interesting to see how they might turn out!

Ever since it came out, I doubted that it would continue for much longer. But after hearing about how well it sold, I have no doubt it will continue for years to come. I can't see this ending something that has become immensely popular unless it stops selling well. Of course, I'm neglecting to remember what happened to BIONICLE, so I suppose anything's possible.

I don't know what to expect in terms of longevity. The fact that it's so successful now is no guarantee that it will be able to maintain that success for as long as BIONICLE did. However, I have high hopes for the theme. It has the same rich multimedia component as BIONICLE had, but with a more lighthearted story that seems to fit LEGO's spirit of play and imagination a bit better. Also unlike BIONICLE, it does not try to distance itself from the LEGO brand.

As for what could happen in Ninjago's future, that's still up in the air. As long as the theme continues I'm sure we can expect many more costumes for the ninja, many more crazy-looking vehicles, and of course the continuation of the spinner sets. Unfortunately, this year of Ninjago seems to be far lighter on architectural sets, even those like Skeleton Bowling that could function as spinner arenas. That's a real shame since I was so fond of the Fire Temple set, even though thankfully there's still plenty of artistry in the designs of this year's sets. I sincerely hope next year we might see more sets that follow in the tradition of the Fire Temple, Mountain Shrine, Blacksmith Shop, and Spinjitzu Dojo.

When I first saw the promo page for Ninjago, I was excited. When I saw the sets and the figures, I didn't really care, so I didn't pay a lot of attention to it. I still don't care for the spinjitsu game, so hopefully others do still. I have recently purchased a few of the figures, but no actual sets. I don't care much for the vehicles, which is the main selling point for this set. I do really like the Fire Temple (which I still don't have) and I like the Destiny's Bounty set. I am really excited to see what they come up with for the Pirates vs Ninja sets though.

Hopefully they will continue to make fun sets with cool looking figures. That's the only way I'll buy any.

All I hope is that it doesn't come down to pink ninjas, I would rather the theme go with some class than trying to milk every once of dignity out of it.

When I first saw the promo page for Ninjago, I was excited. When I saw the sets and the figures, I didn't really care, so I didn't pay a lot of attention to it. I still don't care for the spinjitsu game, so hopefully others do still. I have recently purchased a few of the figures, but no actual sets. I don't care much for the vehicles, which is the main selling point for this set. I do really like the Fire Temple (which I still don't have) and I like the Destiny's Bounty set. I am really excited to see what they come up with for the Pirates vs Ninja sets though.

Hopefully they will continue to make fun sets with cool looking figures. That's the only way I'll buy any.

I'm not really into the theme either, aside from the dragon sets. The vehicles just look too corny for me. I do like the new figs, I'll probably pick up the booster packs. Samurai X is cool looking. Funny, how they're portraying her as a 'mysterious' person, when it's obvious it's Nya(you can see eyelashes). I look forward to the new dragon set. That 2 headed snake guy is pretty cool, too.

The Ninjago skeleton theme (2010-2011) was brilliant. With four masterpiece dragons.

I hope the Ninjago snake theme goes by quickly. The four headed dragon is the absolute lowpoint. And the rest, aside of Destiny's Bounty really crappy as well.

Ninjago vs Pirates may be a better idea. So I have some hope for that.

The Dragon set (probably made with Old dragons + tornado of creation) is going to be on my Top Ten Lego sets. The dragon is amazing with great coloursheme, and it will be the first so big set I will ever get. I have to, I am a Lord of Dragons at all! :wub:

Edited by Lordofdragonss

How do you guys know that NinjaGo theme has been such a huge success? I didn't notice anything telling me so in shops, such as shortage of sets. On the contrary, the individual character sets are constantly 50% off in several shops around here.

How do you guys know that NinjaGo theme has been such a huge success? I didn't notice anything telling me so in shops, such as shortage of sets. On the contrary, the individual character sets are constantly 50% off in several shops around here.

Here in Poland Spinners and smaller sets are very popular. Aspecialy when spinners were on sale- they almost all gone in one day. They sell a lot better than Power miners!

Edited by Lordofdragonss

For me I use the sets for parts and so far have been churning out some great pieces, all those gold pieces I'm like a magpie, hehe. I'd like to see ninjago continue for a year or two but I wouldn't mind seeing something different, give this a couple years then perhaps we might see the return of the wild west theme, fingers crossed. IMO Ninjago does have the potential to continue for a few more years but I think by then it will start dying out. To me that seems the most reallisitic thing. If you guys want you could see how long other similar themes have done and try and work out due to Ninjagos success when it might come to an end.

Cheers

CptM

What happens next in Ninjago will be up to Cartoon Network....it's being taken on as a 13 part series now, perhaps you could have guess that from Ninjas flying jets ? :laugh:

What do you think about world contest of Spinjitzu? Ninjas from all over the world have to fight in Spinjitzu Contest. The winner gets possibility of making his own... brotherhood? Maybe. There is a Dark Ninjas team which during that event shows that they're traitors. They were Lord Garmadon "students" and they have just wanted to catch our Ninja guys (Zane, Kai etc.). Because of that Spinjitsu arena is on the mountain and it is closed by shadow ninjas, our good team have to fight if they want survive. What do u think about such an idea?

What do you think about world contest of Spinjitzu? Ninjas from all over the world have to fight in Spinjitzu Contest. The winner gets possibility of making his own... brotherhood? Maybe. There is a Dark Ninjas team which during that event shows that they're traitors. They were Lord Garmadon "students" and they have just wanted to catch our Ninja guys (Zane, Kai etc.). Because of that Spinjitsu arena is on the mountain and it is closed by shadow ninjas, our good team have to fight if they want survive. What do u think about such an idea?

That sounds good, especially if the contest is some type of Ninja-games with various kinds of obstacle courses, thereby ensuring the ability for many sets to be made.

Edited by Legoman273

All I can say is that the sand is running out of the hourglass, how much sand is in, few knows, but ideas will eventually run out.

All I can say is that the sand is running out of the hourglass, how much sand is in, few knows, but ideas will eventually run out.

True, but BIONICLE lasted for nine years, and some BIONICLE fans even felt that there were lots of ideas that hadn't yet been used by the time its success finally petered out. Ninjago is a lot like BIONICLE in several ways, and some of the product descriptions for the Ninjago books suggest that this is by design rather than by coincidence.

Heavily story-driven themes like BIONICLE and Knights' Kingdom II have, historically, had a lot of advance planning before their release. This includes brainstorming plot elements that can be turned to at a later time if the theme turns out to be successful. I have no doubt that TLG, in the very least, has plenty of stories planned that they can continue telling for as long as the theme remains successful. If the theme starts to show less ingenuity I'm confident it will be the effect of a decline in sales, not the cause of one.

The Ninjago skeleton theme (2010-2011) was brilliant. With four masterpiece dragons.

Agree.

I hope the Ninjago snake theme goes by quickly. The four headed dragon is the absolute lowpoint. And the rest, aside of Destiny's Bounty really crappy as well.

Ninjago vs Pirates may be a better idea. So I have some hope for that.

Disagree. The snake theme is very good in my opinion, though you are right on the dragon front. I actually think that many of the sets have exellent shaping and parts, as well as looking good overall. The Destiny's Bounty is actually one of the worst Ninjago sets ever, IMO. And for the record, Ninjas vs Pirates is an awful idea. I would much rather see the return of the Skellies rather than that. Especially if they kill Garmadon in Rise of the Snakes and he comes back as a black skeleton. :sweet:

Perhaps they'll fight aliens down the track.....oh, what about if they join Ben10 to fight them, then pop over to Chowder to mess up some cooking and then ride the ponies in My Little Pony ? :iamded_lol:

The future success of Ninjago depends on two things, set sales and the media....video games and TV shows...at the moment Kmart stores in Oz are clearing out everything Ninjago at about 30-40% off...must be ready for the new stuff this month I guess and they don't want the kids confusing 2011 sets with 2012 eh ? :sarcasm:

I never was into Ninjago until recently, and even then only the ninja figures. So with that said, I don't have any of the vehicles or plans to purchase any. And since we don't have tv, we don't watch the tv series either. But I have been buying the figures on clearance, so I don't think I'm helping the theme last any longer, but any sales might help further push them ahead.

But I would imagine, if people are enjoying this spinjitsu, then they will probably continue to enjoy it with new figures and weapons. I don't see the appeal of the actual game, so I can't follow the business decision, but the theme isn't aimed at me.

Hopefully they will continue with some new cool figures and weapons!

And I don't care for the new conversion aspect of the new sets, but I happen to like how the Destiny's Bounty looks. Which is interesting since many others don't like it, but they like the other vehicles (whereas I am the opposite).

Oh well, to each their own.