ummester

Gilded Crow - 22 Gun Galleon

[pid][/pid] LDD/MLCad 12B

Hi AFOLs (and LEGO Galleon lovers),

I've been working on this build in LDD for the last month or so - as I did I lurked these forums and drew inspiration from many of the fine galleon MOCs here. I'm currently in the part ordering phase - have around 1200 out of 4500 pieces and thought I'd post it to see what the ship builders here think.

It's named the Gilded Crow because the colors match that of an Ozzie football team, in case anyone was wondering. I didn't plan it that way, just thought the dark blue, gold and bright red worked well together - the wife saw it and recognized her teams colors straight away :)

XKSONjv.jpg

vEWiEt0.jpg

hji09WM.jpg

cQOooB1.jpg

I have designed it to be modular, drawing inspiration from the Imperial Flagship and other sources. I was considering the purchase of that set but, at the price it is now, I thought I could purchase 3 X as many bricks, for a larger model of my own design.

Ng0ru9w.jpg

36wOqxo.jpg

In this final render, you can see the detail in the Captain's quarters and just make out the large dining table and chairs in the deck below.

cICWvVf.jpg

I'm not sure how long it will take me to collect all the parts and build the Crow, though I know it will require custom sails and rigging. Once complete I will post some photos of the actual build.

I plan to create better water on the base plates, with tiles and studs. Eventually, I also want to crew this vessel. I would prefer not to use the yellow skinned minifigs - if anyone has suggestions on suitable minifig crew parts which work with flesh colored heads and hands, it would be appreciated.

Hope you like the design,

ummester.

Wow, that is a beautiful build. I'd have to say that is one of the most realistic looking Galleons I've seen, both proportionally and aesthetically. I imagine it will take you some time (and a fair amount of money) to build it in the flesh, but that boat is definitely worth doing in the flesh. I think the part I appreciate the most is the color scheme and minimal "decoration", there's just enough of the silver, blue, red, gold to make it look good. VERY well done!

I like her lines and colouring a lot, especially the dark brown beams on reddish brown base. I hope you manage to produce her in bricks.

Great stuff!

Beautiful design.

I haven't managed to figure out how you've done those decorations in red and blue - looks marvellous.

You asked for "suggestions on suitable minifig crew parts which work with flesh colored heads and hands". Well, I've been using the cavalry guys for the heads - they came with "The Lone Ranger", but they have white hands, except for only the lone ranger himself...

Gorgeous!

The way you extended the pre-fab hull is absolutely perfect! The colors really works out good as well!

Can't wait to see her in real brick! pirate_classic.gif

Thanks for the words of appreciation all.

-DoNe-

The hull extension and curvature was probably the hardest part, as dark brown bricks are limited. I lost count of how many times I scrapped it and started again :) This is where LDD is really good - it feels nicer to build with bricks but LDD is defiantly more convenient for designing.

Singularitie,

I try and aim for a model look with LEGO constructions - I've spent a few years modding Star Wars sets and only feel really satisfied when they start to blur the line between LEGO and model. I was just checking out some of -DoNe- 's work, the look of those World at War and Halo builds are what I strive for.

Captain Braunsfeld

It's just a 1x1 tile in red positioned on a 2x2 center studded tile in blue, at a 45 degree offset.

Thank's for the Lone Ranger advice - I'll check out some of those minifigs. I thought I'd be limited to PotC and regular Pirate parts that the flesh heads and hands could work with.

Beautiful ship!

Being a South Australian Lego Pirate fan, I can fully appreciate your story behind the colouring.

I just bought the Imperial Flagship this year myself on eBay (around $350) pirate_sceptic.gif I regret nothing, The parts you get, and the build itself is amazing. However I think if your ship were available it would quickly out sell it!

For getting parts I assume you know of bricklink.com? It is one of the cheapest places to get Lego bricks. (Much less than local stores (assuming from SA))

I tried to find an old post somewhere on these forums with a brilliant display base. It was like the "giant chess set" but used a lot of 2x2x3 black slopes. I think a base built higher will look really really good with yours ship.

If you find a sale on at Myer any time soon they still have some lone ranger sets. If you get the cavalry set it also comes with a cannon and a fair amount of wood bricks you'll probably use in this. pirate_wink.gif

Great build and I wish you the best making it real bricks.

AB

This is very good, the ship has great proportions.

Hope you find everything you need to build a live one, it will look superb with costum rigging pirate_classic.gif .

I normally don't comment on LDD ships but this one is spectacular. Really love the bow, it looks perfect!

Like everyone else has said... truly jawdropping. I don't know how you managed to work out where to put all the parts to make it look so nice - do you experiment around in LDD to see which ones go well together, or just 'go with the flow'?

Looks fantastic! I hope you can one day bring it to live via bricks, but it's impressive enough as is!

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

ADMIRAL - I haven't brought some parts from you on BrickLink, have I? I got the dark brown boat plates at a really good price from a South Aussie seller.

KABEL - I drew inspiration from your ship building techniques, the Santiago model and the one that bowed tiles for the hull. I wanted to do something different, without bowing tiles but still having them facing out and creating a semi bowed shape.

DESIGNER - there was a lot of building and rebuilding, hiding bricks, shuffling parts and so on - it just took a lot of time - a couple of hours every night for the better part of a month.

Cheers YYS4U

I want to see it in bricks and make the sails and rigging probably more than anyone - I'm just trying to gather the cash by recovering and selling some old sets,then I'll start ordering in bulk. It seems the German and US stores have the largest number of parts, so, once purchased, there will no doubt be a wait for them all to arrive.

I'm finding tracking the spreadsheet for parts and wanted list very tedious - does any one know if there is a way to data mine BrickLink for which stores have the most parts/lowest price for most parts and so on?

Edited by ummester

ADMIRAL - I haven't brought some parts from you on BrickLink, have I? I got the dark brown boat plates at a really good price from a South Aussie seller.

...I'm just trying to gather the cash by recovering and selling some old sets...

No, it wasn't me, but well done finding some cheap hull pieces. I only buy on there don't sell.

If you have any pirate sets or imperial soldiers to sell I am happy to be your local buyer. pirate_laugh2.gif Also might be worth looking into an event coming up in May called Bricktopia (by Southern Bricks who are associated with the Birdwood Museum.)

PS if you were looking into those lone ranger sets Myer Adelaide had 3 left and they currently have buy 1 set get one 50% off. (until the 30th).

does any one know if there is a way to data mine BrickLink for which stores have the most parts/lowest price for most parts and so on?

I second this! After the pain of trying to get my LDD ship into real bricks and managing 3 different orders!

EDIT found this!

Edited by Admiral Blockbeard

Very beautiful and elegant ship. And since you created it in LDD, I love it even more pirate_wubnew.gif. Great job, and good luck with finishing her in real bricks!

Regards

Any chance you could get the LDD file to download?

I want to finish the build and test the structural integrity before I release the LDD file, in any format - I might need to change small elements, insert extra technic pieces for stability or so on. LDD is only half the process, in my eyes.

I was also thinking of giving it a whirl as a bricklink or cuusoo MOC, or even completing some decent instructions - who knows - just no LDD file until I've completed the build myself, sorry.

Thanks for the link ADMIRAL - I haven't tried it yet, I need to revise my spreadsheets and wanted lists but I think I'm at around 2000 pieces on this project now.

I buy them where the price seems most reasonable, so it's hard to start building in earnest until all pieces are purchased. It's funny what pieces work out costing more than others, like the tan modified tiles I was going to use for the sailor's hammocks are quite expensive and only occur in 2 large collectors sets.

95 % of parts ordered/on hand.

Brick cost so far is around $450-500 US, with approximately $100 US shipping.

Anyone want to give away 2 1x1 old brown tiles and 2 1x1 old brown plates jokes :) - It's amazing how difficult to find they are for such tiny pieces.

I've been using the program you linked to ADMIRAL - it's good when you get the wanted list down a bit but not so good with 2000+ piece lists.

I've been using the program you linked to ADMIRAL - it's good when you get the wanted list down a bit but not so good with 2000+ piece lists.

That is good to hear, I am yet to use it as I gave up and ordered at a price from a Victorian supplier.

But when I need to do orders again I will use it with confidence. Hope it saved you a lot of time. Really looking forward to seeing the model built.

As for those old brown pieces, I would try some of our local brick hoarders! If you get time, try Galaxy toys on Goodwood Road and a little know lego secret in SA, Sue Claytables Antiques Curios And Collectibles, Duthy Street Unley.

The owner is Lego mad like us, have a good convo with him and let him know what you are trying to do. ;) Hopefully one of them has what you are looking for.

AB

Thanks for the advice ADMIRAL - you've been a gem of information.

Do they have shows in South Australia? Mrs ummester recons that when I complete this and another model I'm working on, I should put them in display cases at a show.

I've been into LAYGO - when he is not busy, the owner there will get to chatting. He even let me go through his second hand stock once for parts.

Edited by ummester

LAYGO on south road? Yes he is awesome and like you say the place needs to be empty and kid free to have any chance.

I was in need of a yellow wing plate that was very rare, he also let me have a quick look out back and in the play rooms for it! -Unfortunately did not find it there-

A very timely question about Lego Shows. SA is having its biggest in a very long time this May (17-18) it is called bricktopia. LINK Also great to know your Mrs supports the hobby!

I will be there showing my Classic Lego collection along with the newly built Double Caribbean Clipper (shameless self promotion over)

I think the date for bricktopia is a little to soon for you as exhibitor entry is closed and I doubt the ship would be complete, however I think it will be back next year.

As they are associated with History SA I hope that a Lego boat display might be in the future in conjunction with the City of Adelaide's return. But that is just an idea I need to pitch to the event organisers this May ;)

Finances permitted I want to built a model of the City of Adelaide- one of the oldest boats from her era, only rivalled by the Cutty Sark!

BTW any hints as to what your other model is?

AB

The other model is a shameless boy toy - a FASA inspired mech. I started working on it because I liked the new olive green so much. It's only 500 parts.