Sign in to follow this  
Rom1Kno

Some steampunk stuff

Hi all !

Here's something i've been working on for the past couple of days, and i wanted to show you some lil' preview. Yeah, you can cal that teasing !

All in LDD right now, as i'm unemployed i got some spare time, but i'm also running extra low on cash so can't buy parts for now. But they'll sur be build, as i've the idea of a complete universe ( cars, town parts, modular homes, ... )

Sorry for the LDD pics, but the rendering technique of mecabricks/blender don't work as some parts aren't available on mecabricks, gotta have povray.

Here is a range of cars/"motorcycles" and a huge machine. More to come when i'll find the way to build them.

969759vehiculessteampunkpreview.png

438374vehiculessteampunkpreview1.png

I tried to make those, like my funicular, as realistic as possible yet steampunkish, with gears/engines/boilers/etc. They are minifig scale, width wise, but must be longer than what may be usual ...

The huge machine is the road maker, sent where there's no path for cars to make some.

I'll do some detailed pics of every one of course

AS always, comments and critics are appreciated ! Hope you like it

They look amazing! I love the slightly mad designs. You really caught the essence of steampunk with them :thumbup::classic: The raw mechanical technic pieces on the roadmaker machine make it looks significantly mean and over-the top - just what you would expect from it! However I would give the car, which is on the far right side on the 2nd picture some more varied colours. Especially the sides. Maybe some added piping?

thanks a lot !

The road maker is my favorite so far, it's big and mean :) for the car, as it's a more "aristrocratic" one, i tried to give it a more classy look with no gears/pipes on the exterior and a lot of wooden parts. That's why it's higher than every other too, to set the 2 passengers "on top" of every one in the streets.

But i'm working on a more raw/mechanic version of this one ;)

And so, here's a lil' something !

292229roadtruck.png

Thats a seriously epic looking rendering. The roadmaker simply rocks! :classic:

As for the car: since it is more aristocratic - what about applying some gold on it to break up the wood?

thanks :) hope to make a real rendering of this one, and i gott do some close ups

What do you think ? Looks better ?

7025852passengerscar.png

The Road Builder and the Wheel are my favorites. Keep up the good work!

Andy D

Thanks !

Now, it's time, after a short sleep, to show you those machines closer !

I should probably start by setting up the universe. So let's say, late 19th century, gasoline is not used, instead man domesticated the steam, and is now able to use it for propeling a variety of vehicles and providing energy for small towns. That's it for the general story, now let's talk about these vehicles !

First of all, the road maker, because if you want to use a car, there should be a road ahead. It uses a big boiler, and is the only one that can be "refueled" while driving, thanks to the second man. On the front there's a big shovel, used for destroying every rock ahead. The driver sits behind, in a well protected space.

The engine of the road maker propels it and gives pressurized steam to the shovel, so that it can be set low enough and stay despite what's coming. The trailer, which is not one, is full of coal and water.

This truck first makes the roads, and then delivers coal and water to the few stations on long road across desertic areas, to refuel the cars using those roads.

665062roadtruck.png

867084roadtruck1.png

369907roadtruck3.png

As you can see, the brakes and transmission are simulated on this model. You can see here too the boiler, the burner section and some details

149029roadtruck4.png

the driver's space, with just what's needed to make this beast do its work

112665roadtruck5.png

A closer view of the front section, with the shovel and it's pneumatic system

This beast is the first one crossing desertic areas before all the others, that's why it comes first here too ! And btw, it's 14w and something like 44l, i don't know yet the total amount of parts but that thing is quite huge.

Hope you like, comments/critics are welcome :)

Edited by Rom1Kno

here's the next one, and saddly for me the only non playable one, the big wheel. I could not find a way with LDD to make the wheel spin, so it would rather slide on the ground when used.

The pilot seats high over the road, but that's a stable wheel for sure, and with its big engine it can go fast, and quite everywhere.

To make it actually look like the frame is suspended, i used 2 gold round tiles on both sides, and under there a kind of suspension which is connected on the bottom but just stand still by it's own, not conected on top.

Here are the pics

781130onewheeler.png

309025onewheeler1.png

The lil yellow wheels are here to mimic the actual function

336300onewheeler3.png

Hope you like, comments and critics are wlecome ! :)

Edited by Rom1Kno

I don't know if you're on Lego Ideas, but here's a link to a similar monowheel project where the wheel seems capable of rolling: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/139405

Magnificent roadmaker there. The only thing that looks a bit outlandish (in my eyes) on it are the big tires over the wooden spoke wheels.

Could you show a close-up of the third vehicle? the steam bike?

thanks a lot ! i gotta definitely take some inspiration for my wheel !

Here a pics of the 2 bikes i've made :)

510662minimoto1.png

235255minimoto.png

209066moto.png

438278moto1.png

The second is a quite a bike, but not really too, dunno how to call it

For the road maker, the wooden spoke wheels are here to bring some vintage touch to those huge wheels, as the design of those is really modern, and don't fit the design if used alone, i tried without and definitely didn't looked good

They look very cool! Sizewise they are fine too. They are steam engines after all. And certainly not bigger than what Lego officially releases, so what :wink::thumbup:

thanks a lot :)

Here are the last two ones of the first serie.

First, the aristocratic 2 seats car. Made for the rich ones, with it's rear engine with no visible gear/pipe, a lot of wood and golden parts to get some classy feeling, and 2 leather covered seats. But, without tires because this one is made to show off how rich you are, and not for long travels, you'll see why in a few days i hope. Can seat 2 minifigs of course

3629512passengerscar.png

8838222passengerscar1.png

4508942passengerscar2.png

7960792passengerscar3.png

And my favorite, the slingshot ! based on some old slingshot dragsters design, with the potdvin blower, here's a speedy one ! made to be fast, it can get you where you want with its big rear tires and its long frame to be more stable. I really like this one, hope you like it too :)

500991monoplace.png

427239monoplace1.png

503717monoplace2.png

200845monoplace3.png

So, here are them all ! i'm gonna rework the big wheel, to make it playable, and i'm currently working on a lower class 2 passengers car, and some more steampunk things !

Thanks for the interest so far

hey folks ! i came up with a new one wheeler, and this time it's playable :) it's been shortened, and event if some cool details are missing, i have to admit i prefer this one, more compact and more minifig sized too. I decided to keep the engine on the side, to keep the balanced design.

303514onewheelerplayable.png

844329onewheelerplayable1.png

259662onewheelerplayable2.png

here's on to compare both one wheelers :

755221onewheelerplayable4.png

I'll keep both of them in my stes, and i will try something like hiding small wheels under the big model, to make it kinda playable

Hope you like !

Thanks for the requested close ups.

Now, on your re-engineered monowheel, is that a storage part on the drivers opposite side, or the fuel stove?

From the others I like the 'aristocrat' vehicle most.

it's, as on all my other models, the stove where you put coal to get some steam ;) i wanted to keep a realistic feeling, so as on a steam train the driver ( or the coal station man ) have to put some coal in the engine to drive, like you refuel a car in the real life, but a bit more often ahah