kaiju

[SR - Ch3 - Cat B] Dark Shores and Darker Seas...

And this is what happens when you have only a few hours before the deadline, and only one partially complete build, but are determined to enter something into this category...

Once back in a tavern in Bastion Captain Dracken gathered his officers in a private room with plenty of grog. Several rounds of drinks later First Mate Jakes had to ask once more question about the Fountain.

"So what happened to the other guy?" he asked, "this father... Tholeua?"

Before Dracken could offer his thoughts Iosefka interrupted.

"They say dead men tell no tales," she began, "but truely the living need listen more attentively. For Tholeau's fate is no great enigma to those inclined to hear..."

The Last Island...

Truely, Tholeau had drunk of the Fountain and been restored. But youth has its own curses, recklessness prime amongst many. He went on to the next island heedless of the cost he had incurred, for his selfish use of the Fountain had angered the local spirits and roused the ghosts of all who had gone before him.

On the third and final of those islands he found another cave. Of course he had to know what treasure lay on this island.

foyb_001.jpg

foyb_002.jpg

But he found no treasure. Only bones, and hatred for the life he had claimed for himself. And try as he want his legs availed him not.

foyb_003.jpg

And deep in the caves of that isle he still lays. Water he sought. Water he did find.

foyb_004.jpg

One Last Answer

"So, Althea asked, "if Tholeau died on that island how did his journal get out?"

"The dead," Iosefka answered, "do not all rest easy on dark nights and wyrd tides. And Tholeau, he seek immortality above all else. Death not keep his tale untold, and so he become myth. Myth not die so quietly or quickly."

"What you're saying," Jakes said, "is that his ghost carried his journal off that island."

foyb_005.jpg

foyb_006.jpg

"It would not be the strangest thing we have seen." Dracken said.

A very last minute category B entry, because I just haven't the energy for a second elaborate build.

Some "clean" shots of the cavern and it's contents are behind the spoiler button.

foyb_007.jpg

foyb_008.jpg

A cautionary tale! It may be last minute but the story is still quite good, and something is better than nothing (which is what I got done for CatB!)

A cautionary tale! It may be last minute but the story is still quite good, and something is better than nothing (which is what I got done for CatB!)

Thank you, and I figured someone had to make sure the Sea Rats had an entry for Cat B (if another Sea Rat has entered Cat B I've not seen their entry).

great story :thumbup:

Thank you.

I agree that though the build was simple, it comes with an excellent story. Also, you did an awesome job with the photography and lighting of the various scenes.

Yup, great looking cave there and the spooky lightning of the last pictures is really well done!

I agree that though the build was simple, it comes with an excellent story. Also, you did an awesome job with the photography and lighting of the various scenes.

Excellent story, and good night photography of the ghost!

Thank you, both. I was quite pleased with how the pictures of Tholeau's Ghost came out.

Yup, great looking cave there and the spooky lightning of the last pictures is really well done!

The cave was the only part I'd worked on before Sunday night; I'm glad you like it. Thank you.

Neat sery of builds, tough I'd recommend to, while using the 1x1 round water technique, vary a bit more in stack-heights

Neat sery of builds, tough I'd recommend to, while using the 1x1 round water technique, vary a bit more in stack-heights

I'll try to remember that in future; the first water build (the body) is supposed to be a still pool but a wave effect would probably have helped the second (the boat).

Well I know you rushed this but that 2nd last picture of the ghost boat is just great, genuinely scary. I don't know how you did the lighting but its great. Good idea for the stoy too; the fountain becomes a curse not a blessing.

Well I know you rushed this but that 2nd last picture of the ghost boat is just great, genuinely scary. I don't know how you did the lighting but its great. Good idea for the stoy too; the fountain becomes a curse not a blessing.

Thank you. The lighting was actually done by taking the picture in a moon-facing window just after sunset.

Nice work with limited build time, Kaiju. I really like the dramatic effects of the builds, coupled with the drama of the story. That hand is very cool!

In fact, I sort of hope to see you try out these darker themes on a larger scale at some point! :)