Sign in to follow this  
CMP

Heroica RPG - Quest #150: A Moment of Silence

25903358510_02aa49d456_o.jpg

The quartet of heroes bound to Baltarok don't have to go very far to find those they're intended to meet with. In fact, some of them may not even have to get up from their seat, because the pair that had arrived to collect them seemed to have found their way straight into Heroica Hall itself...one of them intimately familiar with the place, and the other still soaking in the distinctly foreign atmosphere.

26053455493_b5214846ec.jpg

26630643736_a9447209dd_t.jpg

"I see why you all spend your time here now. I really ought to have one of these establishments built in Imaestym..."

Party

26559093112_8a37e42e87_t.jpg

Nerwen Calmcacil (Chromeknight) *Party Leader*

265 year old female elven Shaman

Level 40.4 *Immune to sealed* *Gains Double EXP* *Restoration* *Absorbs last element* *Counterstriking*

Power bonus:,+8

Defense: 1

Health: 62/62

Ether: 49/49

Gold: 425

Equipment: Mourning Star (WP: 10; fire-elemental; inflicts Fragile-effect; mace), Lesser Ethereal cloak (SP:1, Max. ether +3, immune to sealed; backwear), Medal of Valor (Double experience from battles; accessory), Chameleon Vest (Max. Health +10, the user becomes able to absorb the last element it was damaged with; bodywear), Counterstrike Gloves, Barbarians boots (natural respite becomes restoration)

Inventory:

Weapons: Nocturne Flute (WP:6; causes asleep-effect; instrument), Mutt's Flute (WP:10; inflicts Weakened-effect; instrument), Party Maracas (WP:4; user is hastened; instrument), Battered wooden flute (WP:6; Darkness-elemental; instrument), Sword of the Warrior of the Light (WP: 14; Light-Elemental, Meditate becomes hits; longsword), Bent Crowbar (WP: 8; 3x damage to Mechanic enemies; hammer), Singing Sword (WP 10; causes bleeding, longsword/instrument)

Artifacts: Leather armour (SP:1; Bodywear), Zap-Tap Badge (1/2 chance to Electric counterstrike an opponent who has dealt damage to a hero, equal to the hero's level; Accessory), Shield (SP: 5), Nordic Stomach Guard (SP: 3; Immunity to Ice and Water; Bodywear; Suitable for Barbarians, Regulators, and Beast Warriors), Shield of the Red Lizard (SP: 2; Immune to Blind), Seal of the Warrior Priestess (At the beginning of the battle the user has a 1/6 chance to be Transcended, a 1/6 chance to be Blessed, and a 1/6 chance to be Inspired; Accessory; Suitable for Paladins), Trickster's Mask of the Angel, Razor (user is Blessed and Immune to Bleeding, Enraged, and Encouraged; May take up any artifact slot; requires a shaved head), Helm of the Lord of Light (Immune to Light and Jinxed; headwear; Suitable for Knights), Sylvania's Cowl (Permits Animal Talk, Headwear), Encore Plectrum (if the same Battle Song is sung for more than one round in a row, the song’s ether cost for the consecutive rounds is halved; suitable to minstrels; accessory.)

Spell Items: Opal (2), Topaz (2), Diamond (2), Amethyst, Garnet, Sapphire, Emerald, Aquamarine, Ruby, Scroll of Sleep, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Weakening, Scroll of Fragile, Scroll of Confusion, Hundred Hero Hymn (Inspired-effect to all allies for 10 ether; song),

Consumables: Phoenix essence (3), Potions (10), Grand potion (2), Health Core, Tonics (3), Grand tonic, Ether Core (2), Ambrosia (4), Elixirs (2), Remedies (6), Neutralisers (2), Tiger Balm (2), Nostrum (2), Smelling Salts (2), Venom (4), Mulled Wine, Dragon Scale (lucky & blessed), Titan Heart (encouraged & inspired), Fire Bomb, Ice Bombs (2), Lightning Bomb, Water Bombs (2), Dirt Bombs (2), Air Bomb, Bone, Milk (restores 15 HP and 15 Ether), Red Death Blood (Once applied to a weapon the first successful hit deals doomed, consumable) (2), Sushi (restores 5 health and ether), Feather of Lithe (user is nimble for three rounds, 1/3 chance to avoid rolls of COUNTER and DAMAGE and Free Hits), Grating Stone, Bright Polish (2),

Tools/Treasure: Shovel, Bedroll, Magnifying Glass, Telescope

skrall.jpg

Skrall (Waterbrick Down)

81 year old male ogre Hunter

Level 43.4 *Natural Respite* *Favors Humanoid and Ancient enemies* *Immune to fragile, blinded, and confused* *1/3 chance to revive when KO'd*

Power Bonus: +2 WP for bows and crossbows

Defense: 11

Health: 57/57

Gold: 3366

Equipment: Unlucky Crossbow (WP: 13, causes jinxed Effect), Hunter's Quiver (Bows and Crossbows +2WP, allows Hunters to favor two types of enemies, back wear), Tricorne (SP: 3, head wear), Heavy Armor (SP: 5, wearer is immune to fragile, blind, and confused effects, body wear), Moone Greaves (SP: 3), Vorpalis Talisman (1/3 chance of instantly resurrecting with 1 HP and 1 Ether upon being knocked out; accessory),

Inventory

Weapons: Oversized Greatsword (WP:16, double damage on targets that are clearly smaller than the hero, greatsword), Composite Bow (WP:12, ignores SP,light,lightning,water, wood, and earth-elemental; bow), Giant Hammer (WP: 13, deals Confused); Hunter's Crossbow (WP:12, double WP against beasts, fire, ice, wind, and darkness-elemental), Axe of the Minotaur Champion (WP: 30, user is slowed and immune to hastened, axe)

Artifacts: Medal of Glory (Wearer gains 3x experience from battles, accessory), Paper Doll (Immunity to Hexed) Pugilist's Gloves (+2 Power, Immunity to Weakened), Lucky Doubloon (Grants "Special Guard"; accessory), Winged Sandals (Immune to bound and slowed, footwear)

Consumables: 3 Potions, Phoenix Essence, 3 Phoenix Incenses, 10 Meads, 8 Nostrums, 3 Remedy, 3 Smelling Salts, 2 Deadly Venoms, 9 Smoke Bomb, 2 Dirt Bombs, Fire Bomb, 5 Water Bombs, 6 Bone, Blind Fury, Grating Stone, 2 Neutralizers, Letter of Recommendation,

Tools/Treasure: Spyglass (Reveals if there are spies and eavesdroppers in the vicinity when used; tool)

26368249490_c3bc6e819b_t.jpg

Lord Lawrence Boomingham (Zepher)

48 year old male human Vindicator

Level 36.25 *Immune to darkness, fire, fragile, sleep, weakened, and blinded* *Affluence* *1/2 chance of being reinforced* *Zweihänder Grip*

Power Bonus: +5

Defense: 8

Health: 59/59

Ether: 36/36

Gold: 318

Equipment: Scupperer (WP:17; darkness-, fire- and earth-elemental; inflicts bleeding and poisoned by 10; has 1/2 chance each to inflict blinded, sealed, weakened and fragile; greatsword), Tome of Affluence (+10 Gold if equipped for the entirety of a battle; grants immunity to fragile, asleep, weakened, blinded, darkness and fire; accessory), Vest of Faded Trials (SP:8, 1/2 chance of granting reinforced effect at the start of every battle, Immune to Fragile; Suitable for Knights, Barbarians, Dragoons, Skirmishers, Regulators, Vindicators; bodywear and headwear), Fighting Boots (Power +5 on the front row; suitable to barbarians, knights, rogues, beast warriors, chi monks, dragoons, harlots, infiltrators, marauders, skirmishers, regulators, vindicators and winged warriors; footwear.)

Inventory:

Weapons: Epidemic Halberd (WP:8, causes all negative effects that the user has to the target when attacking; halberd), Venom Fang Blade (WP:9, causes poisoned equal to WP; longsword), Lullaby Wand (WP:6, inflicts asleep), Silver Sword (WP: 18, Longsword), Frozen Saber (WP: 15; light-, ice- and wind-elemental; inflicts stunned; great sword), Round Metal Shield (SP:7),

Artifacts: Crown of the Desert King (SP:6; absorbs fire, wind, and earth; suitable for Boomingham only, headwear.), Venomari Helmet (SP:2, absorb poison as health; helmet), Hood of Belthazar Bluehood (Power +4; Ether -6; headwear), Scarlet Hood (SP:4, grants immunity to stunned), Chains of the Pongcanis Chief (Hero Pierces SP if fighting from Front, Enemies ignore SP if hero fights from the back row, cannot be removed in battle), Amulet of Optimism (Adds the confused-effect to all attacks; accessory, suitable to Erdathcath only), 2x Prayer Beads (Makes the wearer permanently blessed; accessory.), Counterstrike Gloves (If the wearer is damaged by a Free Hit, they counter with strength equal to their level; handwear.), Crimson Suit of Armor (SP:12, allows wearer to pose as Crimson Bear Knight; takes three artifact slots: bodywear, headwear and footwear),

Spell Items: Amethyst (Darkness), Scroll of Recklessness (Encouraged and Fragile; costs 5 Ether; 50/50 chance), Emerald Lamp of Summoning (0/3), “True Love Serenade” (restores 50 health to the rest of the party per round; costs 10 ether; Battle Song)

Consumables: Potion, Health Core, 2x Remedy, 2x Phoenix Essence, Danab's Apple (Revives all fallen party members, restores full health and ether to the whole party and removes all negative effects from them; consumable), 13x Mead, 4x Smelling Salt, 4x Nostrum, 2x Ambrosia, Fire Brandy (Encouraged, Immune to Ice), Fireball Whiskey (Immunity to Fire One Battle OR 20 Fire Damage All Enemies), Hamantasch (Lucky, Blessed), Jinxy Juice, 2x Floral Bomb, Seal Bomb, Poison Bomb, Stun Bomb, Seth Bomb (Deals 100 darkness-elemental damage to all opponents when used.), Feather of Flight (Allows the user to flee from the battle when used.), Hair of the Dog, 2x Grating Stone, Oculoid Miasma, Oculoid Fireworks, Saber Teeth, Bone, x2 Bright Polish

Tools/Treasure: Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Vindicator's Seal (Grants access to the Vindicator expert job class; cannot be given away), Mythril Shard

2.jpg

Thalion Dwinlas (-obelix-)

213 years old male elf Mystic Knight

Level 33 *Immune to all elements, sealed, blinded, weakened, confused, sleep, fragile, cursed, doomed, sudden death, poisoned and bleeding* *Nimble*

Power Bonus: 0

Defense: 17

Health: 44/44

Ether: 43/43

Gold: 1063

Equipment: Alpha and Omega (WP: 13, dual healing/spellcasting at the cost of 2 ether, Hollow [Grand Potion stored], staves), Ribcage Shield (SP:12; every time the wielder takes a hit, the shield loses one SP; gives immunity to Doomed and Sudden Death for as long the shield has SP left), Norgh Armor (SP:5, Immunity to Darkness, Light, Fire, Ice, Water, Wood, Wind, Lightning, Earth damage and Sealed, Blind, Fragile, Weaken, Sleep and Confused, bodywear), Blessed Amulet (Protects from Cursed-effect; accessory), Sterile Gloves (Immunity to Poisoned and Bleeding, handwear), Elven Boots (Wearer is permanently Nimble; suitable to elves; footwear)

Inventory:

Weapons: Despair (WP: 21, darkness-elemental, physical attacks and spells deal double damage to enemies inflicted with any negative effects, staff), Nightfall (WP: 11, Darkness-elemental, absorbs 2 health on successful hits, Hollow [Nothing stored], dagger), Sleeper (WP: 4, deals Asleep to enemies it hits, Hollow Upgrade [Nothing stored], melee/throwing weapon), Duplovian Swift Halberd (WP: 10, deals Stunned on successful hits, Hollow [nothing stored]) Broomstick (WP:9, ranged), Handy Shield (SP:4, Immune to Blinded)

Artifacts: Slightly Less Lucky Die (Randomly causes the Lucky or Jinxed effect when used, costs 3 ether), Duplovian Helmet of the Guard (SP:2, Immune to Magic and Healing, headwear), Winged Sandals (Protects from Bound and Slowed effects, footwear), Heart Locket (Protects from Enamored-effect; accessory), Snake-Eye Charm (Protects from Petrified-effect; accessory), Shackles of War (Prevents anyone from fleeing battles; accessory), Paper Doll (Protects from Hexed-effect; accessory), Cloak of Espionage (Allows the wearer to examine enemy stats before a battle, backwear), Bumble Fanshirt (SP:1, vermin with level less than half of the wearer's are scared and won't directly attack the wearer; bodywear), Dragoon's Helmet (SP:3, makes wearer absorb attacks of the element of their pet dragon, gaining health instead of damage; suitable for dragoons; headwear), Emerald Hood (SP:4, Immunity to Fragile, headwear), Cloak of Necrotic Shielding (SP:3, provides SPECIAL GUARD against Undead Enemies, backwear), Tin Helmet (Protects from Confused and Hexed effects; headwear), Sharkskin Hide (SP: 1, doubles water elemental spells, bodywear, suitable for mages, necromancers, chi monks, and weather mages)

Spell Items: Zirconia (Gem containing all elements; cannot be merged into equipment), Amethyst (Darkness) x3, Diamond (Light), Aquamarine (Water), Opal (Ice) Garnet (Earth),Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Frailty, Scroll of Weakening, Scroll of Confusion, Scroll of Sleep,

Consumables: Earthwyrm Fang (Grants the Encouraged, Lucky, Reinforced, and Blinded effects for the duration of one battle), Copy of The Eubric Herald (Gives the target the transcended and inspired effects for the duration of one battle), Kraken Fang (Grants hastened and reinforced effects when consumed), Grand Potion (8), Potion (4), Remedy (24), Mead (5), Smelling Salts (10), Nostrum (5), Mulled Wine (4), Elixir (3), Ambrosia, Ether Core (2), Grand Tonic (7), Phoenix Essence (5), Bone (2), Smoke Bomb, Blind Bomb (2), Seal Bomb, Sleep Bomb (2), Deluxe Skeleton Decoy, Feather of White, Feather of Flight (2), Demon Repellent, Skeleton Decoy (2)

Tools/Treasure: Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Magnifying Glass, Telescope, Magic Compass, Mythril Shard, Crystal Ball (Worth 50 gold, 100 at magic shops)

Welcome to the quest everyone. :sweet: Please double check your stats to make sure everything's correct, I re-arranged them to my own preferences to the quest but I didn't change anything. Please complete all Marketplace purchases before confirming here and let me know what's changed when you do. :thumbup:

Edited by CallMePie

Being away from the heroes, Thalion approaches them, "Greetings everyone!"

He turns to the strange pair that approached the other heroes, bows, and addresses them, "And greetings to you too. Thalion Dwinlas, at your service."

OOC: The stats look good! :wink:

OoC: A few purchases from the marketplace, 2 Meads & Nostrums, Winged Sandals, an update to 43.6 and 3566 Gold, loss of level up mushroom and addition of Axe of the Minotaur Champion.

Returning to the Hall, Skrall smiles as he sees a face he has long missed in the hall.

"Haldor!" The ogre tromps up the stairs engulfing the barbarian in a mighty bear hug. "It has been far too long, my good friend." After setting the man down, the ogre nods his head in respect to the female orc. "Skrall the Hunter, my lady. I assume ya are the one we're to be meetin' with? I had no idea ya were acquainted with Haldor here."

Edited by Waterbrick Down

He turns to the strange pair that approached the other heroes, bows, and addresses them, "And greetings to you too. Thalion Dwinlas, at your service."

26657446325_1f3e6b0324_t.jpg

"Haldor Skovgaard, at yours." The nord shakes Thalion's hand vigorously. "Still a hero of Heroica, looks like, seein' as how we didn't have any trouble just..."

"Popping in?" The slender orc woman snickers softly. "Haldor here was one of many heroes who came to Baltarok's aid a few years back. Unlike them, however, his determination ran a tad....fiercer He stayed on as a highly valued ally of mine, helping me do more than my fair share in rebuilding after the Second Sacking of Imaestym...long story, dear....and perhaps more importantly, promoting views of a more open-minded Baltarok."

"Ahh, no need to overstate things, milady," interrupted Haldor, rubbing the back of his neck. "Certainly has been a lot of work, but we're doing plenty of good."

"Mh, modest as always. Oh, but where are my manners?" She curtsied slightly before Thalion, with an oddly piercing look and smile. "I am Bastala, finest -in several ways- sorceress in all of Baltarok, disowned princess pariah of Clan Irlaz, newly appointed archmage of Clan Musalnav, and master wine connoisseur. I do certainly hope you're at my service, your service is precisely while you're here to provide, is it not?" A spark of pink electricity bounced between a few of her lithe fingers as she examined her fingernails. Thalion finally placed the strangely familiar grace of her movements and acuity of her gaze - Bastala clearly had some sort of elven blood in her.

Returning to the Hall, Skrall smiles as he sees a face he has long missed in the hall.

"Haldor!" The ogre tromps up the stairs engulfing the barbarian in a mighty bear hug. "It has been far too long, my good friend." After setting the man down, the ogre nods his head in respect to the female orc. "Skrall the Hunter, my lady. I assume ya are the one we're to be meetin' with? I had no idea ya were acquainted with Haldor here."

"Oof!" Haldor's chainmail armor provided little defense against the sheer enthusiasm behind Skrall's bear hug. Haldor could barely even pat Skrall's back, much less return the hug with his arms pinned. He cracked his neck as he was set down, returning the old ogre smile with one of his own. "Long indeed, Skrall - damn, it's good to see a familiar face again. Feels like the past few years have been a dream, almost. Kill any good goddesses lately?" Haldor couldn't help but grin a bit.

"Quite a delight to meet you as well, Skrall Tradolrok. Indeed, Haldor's been at my side for some time now lending his considerable expertise in...various fields. Haldor seemed quite pleased to see your name on our little guest list; he's told me quite a bit of your exploits. I'm sure Olmstyr jumped at the opportunity to have a orogcund return to the homeland, so things lined up quite nicely, wouldn't you say?"

"Alas, I am merely serving as your transportation for this little venture. I'm neither your employer nor contact, I'm afraid; that would be the Vauno, the...homely little organization Olmstyr restarted. I do however support your presence during Zardalvohl wholeheartedly - who wouldn't want the great heroes of Heroica gracing Baltarok with your presence once again?"

"If you'd like any information concerning Baltarok, I'd be more than delighted to oblige. There's certainly been plenty going on in the past several years. Anything pertaining to your job, however, is, mh, out of my hands."

Edited by CallMePie

OoC: Stats are updated in the hero statistics! I kept your formatting so you don't have to redo all that hard work, just added in my purchases!

Boomingham returns to the Hall and finds him employers right where he left them, talking to Skrall and Thalion, both heroes he was happy he recognized. The elf had proven a valuable ally on a rather silly hunt for a frog, and the Ogre was... big, at least.

As far as Orcs went, there was something strangely, almost terrifyingly, appealing about the young light skin. He bows deeply to her upon catching that she is a princess while he approached.

"Lord Lawrence Boomingham," he says as he holds her gaze steadily. "Also a fellow wine connoisseur, among other things. Got a whole long list of titles, but always find that they end up boring the pretty ladies in the Hall." He realizes he probably should have greeted his two questmates first, but keeps his eyes on Bastala. "Always nice to meet someone with royal blood. Have an extra glass of wine?"

"Oof!" Haldor's chainmail armor provided little defense against the sheer enthusiasm behind Skrall's bear hug. Haldor could barely even pat Skrall's back, much less return the hug with his arms pinned. He cracked his neck as he was set down, returning the old ogre smile with one of his own. "Long indeed, Skrall - damn, it's good to see a familiar face again. Feels like the past few years have been a dream, almost. Kill any good goddesses lately?" Haldor couldn't help but grin a bit.

"Nay, a Kraken or Titan here and there, but I thankfully haven't had to deal with such madness as another goddess for a bit. Ya look good, it seems like Baltarok has done ya well and if the tails of yer exploits a few years back are all true than the country owes ya a debt of gratitude. Will ya be accompanying us once we make it to Baltarok?"

"Quite a delight to meet you as well, Skrall Tradolrok. Indeed, Haldor's been at my side for some time now lending his considerable expertise in...various fields. Haldor seemed quite pleased to see your name on our little guest list; he's told me quite a bit of your exploits. I'm sure Olmstyr jumped at the opportunity to have a orogcund return to the homeland, so things lined up quite nicely, wouldn't you say?"

"Indeed they have mam. I have yet to venture to the country itself having been raised in lower kingdoms, but I remember well the stories told by my grandram about the place and look forward to seein' it with my own eyes."

As Boomingham arrived Skrall joyous mood slightly dampened, but he decided to not let the man's finery put him down.

"Lord Boomingham, good to see ya again, seems like it's been some time since our exploits in Strivvi."

The ogre nodded in greeting to Thalion.

"Master Dwinlas, I do hope you've recovered from your time in that soddin' house."

Plus three meads and two mulled wines, less 132g. Thanks. Sorry for the delay everyone.

Nerves looks around at the group

Skrall, Thalion, good to quest with you again. Hopefully this one won't be as... odd. Lawrence, good to see you again, and new style. I like it. Haldor, nice to have you back in the hall. And Bastala. You've been promoted I hear?

Edited by Chromeknight

As far as Orcs went, there was something strangely, almost terrifyingly, appealing about the young light skin. He bows deeply to her upon catching that she is a princess while he approached.

"Lord Lawrence Boomingham," he says as he holds her gaze steadily. "Also a fellow wine connoisseur, among other things. Got a whole long list of titles, but always find that they end up boring the pretty ladies in the Hall." He realizes he probably should have greeted his two questmates first, but keeps his eyes on Bastala. "Always nice to meet someone with royal blood. Have an extra glass of wine?"

"Then perhaps you should seek out more discerning women, Lord Boomingham." Bastala winked, with a playful smirk. "Royal blood, hm? Blood is more valuable in Baltarok than royalty is in all the world, but then perhaps those with great expectations are more prepared...hmm. I wonder what dear Olmstyr is playing at, bringing a prodigious royal such as yourself into our humble little soiree? I suppose that is between you and him." Her lips curled into an even wider, thoughtful smile, her eyes wandering slightly as if predicting the outcome of a favorite play. Absentmindedly she flicked a wrist at a wine bottle on the bar counter and it sailed through the air to fill a goblet nearby Boomingham.

"Nay, a Kraken or Titan here and there, but I thankfully haven't had to deal with such madness as another goddess for a bit. Ya look good, it seems like Baltarok has done ya well and if the tails of yer exploits a few years back are all true than the country owes ya a debt of gratitude. Will ya be accompanying us once we make it to Baltarok?"

"Hah, always keeping busy, eh? Don't well know the tales they're telling back here or at home, but in Baltarok they might be a bit....exaggerated. Nice that they've got something to look up to these days, I suppose."

"Alas, no. Allow me to spoil a bit of your assignment to you; you're coming to Baltarok during a very tumultuous holiday, to protect four clan leaders who evidently value being present to make a few speeches more than their own crusty green skins." Bastala rolled her eyes. "I'm not an idiot, so I'm going on my own holiday rather than sticking around and get in your way while you hunt for a handful of assassins. Haldor, being the dear that he is, is accompanying me as always. Don't worry, though. You'll have the entirety of the Vauno to assist you; that is, the other 'princess' of Baltarok -a maladjusted killer- as well as a random farmgirl that happened to have a dragon slither its way onto her shoulder, and of course dear Olmstyr who's holding it all together. He is perhaps a bit more capable than the other two. He's the one who got Heroica into Baltarok in the first place, after all."

"Indeed they have mam. I have yet to venture to the country itself having been raised in lower kingdoms, but I remember well the stories told by my grandram about the place and look forward to seein' it with my own eyes."

"I can promise most of it is even drier and dirtier than she remembers," explained Bastala succinctly in a rather matter-of-fact tone. "However, you luckily won't be dealing with most of it. The clan leaders will all be gathered in Imaestym for the duration of Zardalvohl. Imaestym is Clan Musalnav's capital - in case you don't know what that means, it means it's the only city in Baltarok actually worth seeing. Karstaal, the clan leader there, has spent more gold than I can count importing materials from the High Kingdoms for its reconstruction. It was heavily damaged just before the Battle of Augustus Bridge, courtesy of a few royal renegades biting off more than they could chew."

"A few more years of work and the city will be the finest jewel in Baltarok -well, hm. Second finest, perhaps."

Plus three meads and two mulled wines, less 132g. Thanks. Sorry for the delay everyone.

Skrall, Thalion, good to quest with you again. Hopefully this one won't be as... odd. Lawrence, good to see you again, and new style. I like it. Haldor, nice to have you back in the hall. And Bastala. You've been promoted it hear?

"Good to be here. Ah, shame it can't be for long..." Haldor trailed off a bit, looking around a few familiar and unfamiliar faces lounging around.

"No," replied Bastala, somewhat stiffly compared to her remarks to the others. "I single-handedly created the opening of archmage. Nobody else in Baltarok would be suitable for the hypothetical role; Karstaal was ecstatic when I suggested it, being a High Kingdoms tradition, of course. But don't get confused by that, Lady Calmcacil. It would be a great tragedy to find you on the wrong side of this battle again, hmm?"

"Now, is that everything, or shall I bring us all to Baltarok now. I'm afraid I won't have very long to chat once we're there...by that, I mean I won't be coming along with you. Once I send you there I'm off to my own holiday with Haldor. I had the loveliest little tower constructed for the summer in the northern reaches. It'll do until this assassin business blows over."

Party

26559093112_8a37e42e87_t.jpg

Nerwen Calmcacil (Chromeknight) *Party Leader*

265 year old female elven Shaman

Level 40.4 *Immune to sealed* *Gains Double EXP* *Restoration* *Absorbs last element* *Counterstriking*

Power bonus:,+8

Defense: 1

Health: 62/62

Ether: 49/49

Gold: 293

Equipment: Mourning Star (WP: 10; fire-elemental; inflicts Fragile-effect; mace), Lesser Ethereal cloak (SP:1, Max. ether +3, immune to sealed; backwear), Medal of Valor (Double experience from battles; accessory), Chameleon Vest (Max. Health +10, the user becomes able to absorb the last element it was damaged with; bodywear), Counterstrike Gloves, Barbarians boots (natural respite becomes restoration)

Inventory:

Weapons: Nocturne Flute (WP:6; causes asleep-effect; instrument), Mutt's Flute (WP:10; inflicts Weakened-effect; instrument), Party Maracas (WP:4; user is hastened; instrument), Battered wooden flute (WP:6; Darkness-elemental; instrument), Sword of the Warrior of the Light (WP: 14; Light-Elemental, Meditate becomes hits; longsword), Bent Crowbar (WP: 8; 3x damage to Mechanic enemies; hammer), Singing Sword (WP 10; causes bleeding, longsword/instrument)

Artifacts: Leather armour (SP:1; Bodywear), Zap-Tap Badge (1/2 chance to Electric counterstrike an opponent who has dealt damage to a hero, equal to the hero's level; Accessory), Shield (SP: 5), Nordic Stomach Guard (SP: 3; Immunity to Ice and Water; Bodywear; Suitable for Barbarians, Regulators, and Beast Warriors), Shield of the Red Lizard (SP: 2; Immune to Blind), Seal of the Warrior Priestess (At the beginning of the battle the user has a 1/6 chance to be Transcended, a 1/6 chance to be Blessed, and a 1/6 chance to be Inspired; Accessory; Suitable for Paladins), Trickster's Mask of the Angel, Razor (user is Blessed and Immune to Bleeding, Enraged, and Encouraged; May take up any artifact slot; requires a shaved head), Helm of the Lord of Light (Immune to Light and Jinxed; headwear; Suitable for Knights), Sylvania's Cowl (Permits Animal Talk, Headwear), Encore Plectrum (if the same Battle Song is sung for more than one round in a row, the song’s ether cost for the consecutive rounds is halved; suitable to minstrels; accessory.)

Spell Items: Opal (2), Topaz (2), Diamond (2), Amethyst, Garnet, Sapphire, Emerald, Aquamarine, Ruby, Scroll of Sleep, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Weakening, Scroll of Fragile, Scroll of Confusion, Hundred Hero Hymn (Inspired-effect to all allies for 10 ether; song),

Consumables: Phoenix Essence (3), Potions (10), Grand potion (2), Health Core, Tonics (3), Grand tonic, Ether Core (2), Ambrosia (4), Elixirs (2), Remedies (6), Neutralisers (2), Tiger Balm (2), Nostrum (2), Smelling Salts (2), Venom (4), Mulled Wine, Dragon Scale (lucky & blessed), Titan Heart (encouraged & inspired), Fire Bomb, Ice Bombs (2), Lightning Bomb, Water Bombs (2), Dirt Bombs (2), Air Bomb, Bone, Milk (restores 15 HP and 15 Ether), Red Death Blood (Once applied to a weapon the first successful hit deals doomed, consumable) (2), Sushi (restores 5 health and ether), Feather of Lithe (user is nimble for three rounds, 1/3 chance to avoid rolls of COUNTER and DAMAGE and Free Hits), Grating Stone, Bright Polish (2), Meads (3), Mulled Wines (2)

Tools/Treasure: Shovel, Bedroll, Magnifying Glass, Telescope

skrall.jpg

Skrall (Waterbrick Down)

81 year old male ogre Hunter

Level 43.4 *Natural Respite* *Favors Humanoid and Ancient enemies* *Immune to fragile, blinded, and confused* *1/3 chance to revive when KO'd*

Power Bonus: +2 WP for bows and crossbows

Defense: 11

Health: 57/57

Gold: 3366

Equipment: Unlucky Crossbow (WP: 13, causes jinxed Effect), Hunter's Quiver (Bows and Crossbows +2WP, allows Hunters to favor two types of enemies, back wear), Tricorne (SP: 3, head wear), Heavy Armor (SP: 5, wearer is immune to fragile, blind, and confused effects, body wear), Moone Greaves (SP: 3), Vorpalis Talisman (1/3 chance of instantly resurrecting with 1 HP and 1 Ether upon being knocked out; accessory),

Inventory

Weapons: Oversized Greatsword (WP:16, double damage on targets that are clearly smaller than the hero, greatsword), Composite Bow (WP:12, ignores SP,light,lightning,water, wood, and earth-elemental; bow), Giant Hammer (WP: 13, deals Confused); Hunter's Crossbow (WP:12, double WP against beasts, fire, ice, wind, and darkness-elemental), Axe of the Minotaur Champion (WP: 30, user is slowed and immune to hastened, axe)

Artifacts: Medal of Glory (Wearer gains 3x experience from battles, accessory), Paper Doll (Immunity to Hexed) Pugilist's Gloves (+2 Power, Immunity to Weakened), Lucky Doubloon (Grants "Special Guard"; accessory), Winged Sandals (Immune to bound and slowed, footwear)

Consumables: 3 Potions, Phoenix Essence, 3 Phoenix Incenses, 10 Meads, 8 Nostrums, 3 Remedy, 3 Smelling Salts, 2 Deadly Venoms, 9 Smoke Bomb, 2 Dirt Bombs, Fire Bomb, 5 Water Bombs, 6 Bone, Blind Fury, Grating Stone, 2 Neutralizers, Letter of Recommendation,

Tools/Treasure: Spyglass (Reveals if there are spies and eavesdroppers in the vicinity when used; tool)

26368249490_c3bc6e819b_t.jpg

Lord Lawrence Boomingham (Zepher)

48 year old male human Vindicator

Level 36.25 *Immune to darkness, fire, fragile, sleep, weakened, and blinded* *Affluence* *1/2 chance of being reinforced* *Zweihänder Grip*

Power Bonus: +5

Defense: 8

Health: 59/59

Ether: 36/36

Gold: 318

Equipment: Scupperer (WP:17; darkness-, fire- and earth-elemental; inflicts bleeding and poisoned by 10; has 1/2 chance each to inflict blinded, sealed, weakened and fragile; greatsword), Tome of Affluence (+10 Gold if equipped for the entirety of a battle; grants immunity to fragile, asleep, weakened, blinded, darkness and fire; accessory), Vest of Faded Trials (SP:8, 1/2 chance of granting reinforced effect at the start of every battle, Immune to Fragile; Suitable for Knights, Barbarians, Dragoons, Skirmishers, Regulators, Vindicators; bodywear and headwear), Fighting Boots (Power +5 on the front row; suitable to barbarians, knights, rogues, beast warriors, chi monks, dragoons, harlots, infiltrators, marauders, skirmishers, regulators, vindicators and winged warriors; footwear.)

Inventory:

Weapons: Epidemic Halberd (WP:8, causes all negative effects that the user has to the target when attacking; halberd), Venom Fang Blade (WP:9, causes poisoned equal to WP; longsword), Lullaby Wand (WP:6, inflicts asleep), Silver Sword (WP: 18, Longsword), Frozen Saber (WP: 15; light-, ice- and wind-elemental; inflicts stunned; great sword), Round Metal Shield (SP:7),

Artifacts: Crown of the Desert King (SP:6; absorbs fire, wind, and earth; suitable for Boomingham only, headwear.), Venomari Helmet (SP:2, absorb poison as health; helmet), Hood of Belthazar Bluehood (Power +4; Ether -6; headwear), Scarlet Hood (SP:4, grants immunity to stunned), Chains of the Pongcanis Chief (Hero Pierces SP if fighting from Front, Enemies ignore SP if hero fights from the back row, cannot be removed in battle), Amulet of Optimism (Adds the confused-effect to all attacks; accessory, suitable to Erdathcath only), 2x Prayer Beads (Makes the wearer permanently blessed; accessory.), Counterstrike Gloves (If the wearer is damaged by a Free Hit, they counter with strength equal to their level; handwear.), Crimson Suit of Armor (SP:12, allows wearer to pose as Crimson Bear Knight; takes three artifact slots: bodywear, headwear and footwear),

Spell Items: Amethyst (Darkness), Scroll of Recklessness (Encouraged and Fragile; costs 5 Ether; 50/50 chance), Emerald Lamp of Summoning (0/3), “True Love Serenade” (restores 50 health to the rest of the party per round; costs 10 ether; Battle Song)

Consumables: Potion, Health Core, 2x Remedy, 2x Phoenix Essence, Danab's Apple (Revives all fallen party members, restores full health and ether to the whole party and removes all negative effects from them; consumable), 13x Mead, 4x Smelling Salt, 4x Nostrum, 2x Ambrosia, Fire Brandy (Encouraged, Immune to Ice), Fireball Whiskey (Immunity to Fire One Battle OR 20 Fire Damage All Enemies), Hamantasch (Lucky, Blessed), Jinxy Juice, 2x Floral Bomb, Seal Bomb, Poison Bomb, Stun Bomb, Seth Bomb (Deals 100 darkness-elemental damage to all opponents when used.), Feather of Flight (Allows the user to flee from the battle when used.), Hair of the Dog, 2x Grating Stone, Oculoid Miasma, Oculoid Fireworks, Saber Teeth, Bone, x2 Bright Polish

Tools/Treasure: Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Vindicator's Seal (Grants access to the Vindicator expert job class; cannot be given away), Mythril Shard

2.jpg

Thalion Dwinlas (-obelix-)

213 years old male elf Mystic Knight

Level 33 *Immune to all elements, sealed, blinded, weakened, confused, sleep, fragile, cursed, doomed, sudden death, poisoned and bleeding* *Nimble*

Power Bonus: 0

Defense: 17

Health: 44/44

Ether: 43/43

Gold: 1063

Equipment: Alpha and Omega (WP: 13, dual healing/spellcasting at the cost of 2 ether, Hollow [Grand Potion stored], staves), Ribcage Shield (SP:12; every time the wielder takes a hit, the shield loses one SP; gives immunity to Doomed and Sudden Death for as long the shield has SP left), Norgh Armor (SP:5, Immunity to Darkness, Light, Fire, Ice, Water, Wood, Wind, Lightning, Earth damage and Sealed, Blind, Fragile, Weaken, Sleep and Confused, bodywear), Blessed Amulet (Protects from Cursed-effect; accessory), Sterile Gloves (Immunity to Poisoned and Bleeding, handwear), Elven Boots (Wearer is permanently Nimble; suitable to elves; footwear)

Inventory:

Weapons: Despair (WP: 21, darkness-elemental, physical attacks and spells deal double damage to enemies inflicted with any negative effects, staff), Nightfall (WP: 11, Darkness-elemental, absorbs 2 health on successful hits, Hollow [Nothing stored], dagger), Sleeper (WP: 4, deals Asleep to enemies it hits, Hollow Upgrade [Nothing stored], melee/throwing weapon), Duplovian Swift Halberd (WP: 10, deals Stunned on successful hits, Hollow [nothing stored]) Broomstick (WP:9, ranged), Handy Shield (SP:4, Immune to Blinded)

Artifacts: Slightly Less Lucky Die (Randomly causes the Lucky or Jinxed effect when used, costs 3 ether), Duplovian Helmet of the Guard (SP:2, Immune to Magic and Healing, headwear), Winged Sandals (Protects from Bound and Slowed effects, footwear), Heart Locket (Protects from Enamored-effect; accessory), Snake-Eye Charm (Protects from Petrified-effect; accessory), Shackles of War (Prevents anyone from fleeing battles; accessory), Paper Doll (Protects from Hexed-effect; accessory), Cloak of Espionage (Allows the wearer to examine enemy stats before a battle, backwear), Bumble Fanshirt (SP:1, vermin with level less than half of the wearer's are scared and won't directly attack the wearer; bodywear), Dragoon's Helmet (SP:3, makes wearer absorb attacks of the element of their pet dragon, gaining health instead of damage; suitable for dragoons; headwear), Emerald Hood (SP:4, Immunity to Fragile, headwear), Cloak of Necrotic Shielding (SP:3, provides SPECIAL GUARD against Undead Enemies, backwear), Tin Helmet (Protects from Confused and Hexed effects; headwear), Sharkskin Hide (SP: 1, doubles water elemental spells, bodywear, suitable for mages, necromancers, chi monks, and weather mages)

Spell Items: Zirconia (Gem containing all elements; cannot be merged into equipment), Amethyst (Darkness) x3, Diamond (Light), Aquamarine (Water), Opal (Ice) Garnet (Earth),Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Frailty, Scroll of Weakening, Scroll of Confusion, Scroll of Sleep,

Consumables: Earthwyrm Fang (Grants the Encouraged, Lucky, Reinforced, and Blinded effects for the duration of one battle), Copy of The Eubric Herald (Gives the target the transcended and inspired effects for the duration of one battle), Kraken Fang (Grants hastened and reinforced effects when consumed), Grand Potion (8), Potion (4), Remedy (24), Mead (5), Smelling Salts (10), Nostrum (5), Mulled Wine (4), Elixir (3), Ambrosia, Ether Core (2), Grand Tonic (7), Phoenix Essence (5), Bone (2), Smoke Bomb, Blind Bomb (2), Seal Bomb, Sleep Bomb (2), Deluxe Skeleton Decoy, Feather of White, Feather of Flight (2), Demon Repellent, Skeleton Decoy (2)

Tools/Treasure: Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Magnifying Glass, Telescope, Magic Compass, Mythril Shard, Crystal Ball (Worth 50 gold, 100 at magic shops)

Edited by CallMePie

Can't say as the middle was the wrong place that day. It kept the bridge up, which it sounds like you've benefited from Miss Archmage.Nerwen said primly.

But hunting assassins sounds the best kind of fun. Let's go.

Speaking to Boomimgham she says

Have I told you about this red death assassin I met called Avery? We killed her, they're kill or be killed types you know, but then she got raised by this cold circles acolyte which screwed up whatever blood magic they use. Now she's loose in the world with all her power and none of her restraints. I hope none of the assassins are as messed up as her!

Nerwen hands Thalion the scroll of elemental aura that Arthur had given her for him.

As Boomingham arrived Skrall joyous mood slightly dampened, but he decided to not let the man's finery put him down.

"Lord Boomingham, good to see ya again, seems like it's been some time since our exploits in Strivvi."

"It has indeed. What a bloody mess that was." Boomingham shakes his head ruefully. "Once we set Baltarok and Eubric straight I plan to return there. One day, aye? Regardless, I've had better luck since then. Just got back from Salamanda, will have to tell you about that. Actually sorted through the muck that was in that city. A welcome change of pace."

Skrall, Thalion, good to quest with you again. Hopefully this one won't be as... odd. Lawrence, good to see you again, and new style. I like it. Haldor, nice to have you back in the hall. And Bastala. You've been promoted I hear?

"Thank you, m'lady." Boomingham finally breaks his gaze off of the fair Orc and bows to his friend. "It is a pleasure to see you as well. I may need your wise words to remind me to be forgiving of the Orcs, especially if there is free booze at this party they're throwing. I'm sure you've heard that I have a bone to bury with them." He glances towards Bastala and grins. "A bone I am burying. Fear not. Though I must admit, free booze would go a long way."

"Then perhaps you should seek out more discerning women, Lord Boomingham." Bastala winked, with a playful smirk. "Royal blood, hm? Blood is more valuable in Baltarok than royalty is in all the world, but then perhaps those with great expectations are more prepared...hmm. I wonder what dear Olmstyr is playing at, bringing a prodigious royal such as yourself into our humble little soiree? I suppose that is between you and him." Her lips curled into an even wider, thoughtful smile, her eyes wandering slightly as if predicting the outcome of a favorite play. Absentmindedly she flicked a wrist at a wine bottle on the bar counter and it sailed through the air to fill a goblet nearby Boomingham.

"Once and future royal, so we're much the same in that way too" says Boomingham as he takes a sip of his wine. He sputters as he hears the Orc say she's planning to spend time with the Nord in a tower instead of attending a fancy party with him. "You're going with the boy-o to some frozen tower instead of coming to hunt assassins? You struck me as such an adventurous lady! Never would have thought you'd go hide away when there was fun to be had." He winks and turns to Haldor. "Good to see you, by the way, boy-o. Didn't know you were off with the greenskins. Have you told your pretty friend about the time I knocked you cold because you were afraid to fight some vampires?"

Speaking to Boomimgham she says

Have I told you about this red death assassin I met called Avery? We killed her, they're kill or be killed types you know, but then she got raised by this cold circles acolyte which screwed up whatever blood magic they use. Now she's loose in the world with all her power and none of her restraints. I hope none of the assassins are as messed up as her!

"Sounds like a dangerous little lady. Haven't had much dealings with assassins. Feeling like I won't be too fond of them and they won't be too fond of my blade." He smiles. "Looks like we have a lot of catching up to do. As I said, you vaulted me into the position of King while I wasn't looking. Might be a little something we'll have to have a word about."

It is a pleasure to see you as well. I may need your wise words to remind me to be forgiving of the Orcs, especially if there is free booze at this party they're throwing. I'm sure you've heard that I have a bone to bury with them.

Boomingham's words touched off a memory. A time, more than a hundred quests ago that she spoke of forgiveness, she smiled at the scene.

For all my outward appearance has changed, I still think of forgiveness in the way we have spoken about.

Looks like we have a lot of catching up to do. As I said, you vaulted me into the position of King while I wasn't looking. Might be a little something we'll have to have a word about.

Nerwen looks at Boomingham innocently.

I can't think words we'd need to have other than your saying thank you. If you recall, it was your idea, you threw your name into the mix, why be surprised that others have as nearly a high opinion of yourself as you do?

Nerwen pauses and fixes him with a firm stare,

I will strive to keep my words wise and fair and you may be my choice to lead in Eubric, but on this quest I am the leader and you will keep your blade pointed in the right direction.

Looking Boomingham's equipment over she asks,

what is it you do now? Vindicator you said? Will you be the sword like a knight or the shield like a paladin?

"It has indeed. What a bloody mess that was." Boomingham shakes his head ruefully. "Once we set Baltarok and Eubric straight I plan to return there. One day, aye? Regardless, I've had better luck since then. Just got back from Salamanda, will have to tell you about that. Actually sorted through the muck that was in that city. A welcome change of pace."

"Ya'll have to tell me about it. I was out an' about in Moone myself puttin' down a dragon, dreadful nuisances when they go a muck." Skrall smiled at Bastala, "Well this short time has been an honor then. I am indeed ready to be off whenever ya be willin' to send us." The hunter addressed the nord. "Haldor, take care of yerself, ya know the hall is always open to yer returnin'."

Can't say as the middle was the wrong place that day. It kept the bridge up, which it sounds like you've benefited from Miss Archmage.Nerwen said primly.

But hunting assassins sounds the best kind of fun. Let's go.

"Hm. True enough, I suppose.." Bastala eyed Nerwen with a slightly suspicious gaze before shrugging one shoulder and sipping her wine.

"Once and future royal, so we're much the same in that way too" says Boomingham as he takes a sip of his wine. He sputters as he hears the Orc say she's planning to spend time with the Nord in a tower instead of attending a fancy party with him. "You're going with the boy-o to some frozen tower instead of coming to hunt assassins? You struck me as such an adventurous lady! Never would have thought you'd go hide away when there was fun to be had."

"Once and future, mh? Perhaps we do have much in common, Lord Boomingham." The half-orc mage gave a sickly sweet smile. "Oh, I'm sure we'll find some way to pass the time. And believe me, there's plenty of fun and adventure in Baltarok to go around. Wouldn't want to keep it all to myself, would I? Here's hoping you can find it in yourself to forgive us for whatever grisly transgression our southern relatives have done to you...if you've history with the orcs, then certainly you'll be able to spot all the changes I've been helping make around here. Our days of unruly barbarism are hopefully now in the past. Or they will be, once dear father gets out of that throne of his." Bastala sighed softly.

He winks and turns to Haldor. "Good to see you, by the way, boy-o. Didn't know you were off with the greenskins. Have you told your pretty friend about the time I knocked you cold because you were afraid to fight some vampires?"

Haldor's face reddens slightly, though whatever's annoyance and whatever's embarrassment seems to get tangled up in the process. "No, but maybe I should tell her about the last time you tried protecting orcs." There's a pause....and then a pleased, teasing grin rises up in the nord's beard, and he laughs heartily, clapping Boomingham on the shoulder. "Nice to see you too, Lawrence."

"Ya'll have to tell me about it. I was out an' about in Moone myself puttin' down a dragon, dreadful nuisances when they go a muck." Skrall smiled at Bastala, "Well this short time has been an honor then. I am indeed ready to be off whenever ya be willin' to send us." The hunter addressed the nord. "Haldor, take care of yerself, ya know the hall is always open to yer returnin'."

"Feels like an age since I've killed a good dragon. I've handled more than my fair share of wyverns in Baltarok but they're nothing compared to the big ones. Heh, or even the little ones that are on your side."

"Good." Bastala reaches underneath her hood. There's a strange amulet slung around her neck with an oddly-shaped gem embedded in the center. She grasps the fitted jewel and twirls the amulet between her fingers a few times. The air starts to crackle gently. "Convenient little cantrip, is it not? My mentor taught me this trick...certainly beats dealing with ships. Assuming this works properly, and of course it will, you should end up right in the middle of Imaestym, right in front of the orc you're meeting. Do tell Olmstyr I said hello. And father, when you see him," she sniffs as an afterthought.

"See you around, lads. Let me know when we've got another army stirring up right underneath the Hall, alright?"

The air sparks and jolts, and the heroes all feel as though they are struck through with a thunderbolt.

----------

A barrage of feelings and sensations hit them all at once, and linger for only an instant. The strange thrill of falling from a great height, the adrenaline of being locked in a fight to the death, and the smell of very strong perfume mingled with a very recent glass of expensive wine.

Their eyelids force shut on reflex as a millisecond of energy is shot through their entire bodies. When they open again, the heroes are halfway around the world in an unfamiliar city.

26659162686_7d8aa8490f_b.jpg

A wave of nighttime heat crashes over them as they look around. The air is incredibly arid, very dry and very dusty. And yet the immediate area is more civilized than they'd expect. Tall, imposing stone buildings ring what looks like a bustling town square. A multitude of orcs yell at eachother and heft around a huge variety of materials - foodstuffs, casks of grog, and what looks like construction supplies for an effort going on right in front of them. A gaping hole in the largest building in front of them exposes a brightly lit interior, resembling the great hall of many a High Kingdoms castle. In front of it, on the outside, is a stone stage, with a richly-dressed orc under a shade directing his fellows in between long drags from a tall oil pipe.

26630639676_e410e7a49f_t.jpg

"Hah, no, mauwtirn! There is absolutely no drinking during the Requiem! Roll those casks inside, and taste them first, King Valentino will arrive any moment and we CANNOT let the first foreign noble in our land in centuries perish right in the middle of dinner! Suulokuul! is this last hole going to be patched up any time soon?"

12753665383_93b976d5b4_t.jpg

"Yes, clan leader! Just one m-"

"All I need to know, good man! Vahlser, get those banners up now! Mincerind, get the next one stitched together, oh, hm, ten minutes ago! Jaret, what in the world are you standing around for?!"

11059521964_374b5d5258_t.jpg

"Ah. Apologies, Karstaal. I had every resident informed when the chant of the Requiem will begin. There should be no trouble getting everyone rounded up."

"Excellent! If everyone attends, it'll be the biggest chant in a century. This year Zardalvohl's is going to be in the legends, I tell you." Karstaal took a long drag on his pipe, which seemed to calm his enthusiastic demeanor somewhat. "Ahh. Everyone is proceeding as I have foreseen. This is year we stop moping around for a full day. This is the year Zardalvohl means something real. Something great!" He lifted the mouthpiece of his pipe to lips again before pausing, and looking down below him. An older orc with long, shaggy hair and a well-tailored coat was glancing around intently. "That is, assuming we don't all die halfway through the celebration."

26630639446_ebb3160a80_t.jpg

"Well, you don't need to worry about that any longer, old friend." The orc smiled as the heroes appeared suddenly in the city square, drawing more than a few eyes. "These are the heroes I rounded up for the job. Heroes, my name is Olmstyr, I bro-"

12753665383_93b976d5b4_t.jpg

"Wait, did you say heroes?!"

An archer up on a nearby balcony pricked up his ears and completely abandoned his post to look down at the four of them.

11059565693_75eb2e6512_t.jpg

"Of Heroica? The Staalrahk are here?" The guard looked around the square. "THE HEROES ARE HERE! THE HEROES HAVE RETURNED ONCE MORE! EV STAALO DAL STAALRAHK ADH AZHTAKH TAN BALTAROK!"

The heroes were immediately beset by a mob of adoring fans.

11059487206_483f9f7112_t.jpg

"They're back! They've come to restore Baltarok again!"

11059524024_3bb486693e_t.jpg

"They were right, the heroes are back!!"

11059565463_224b5594d9_t.jpg

"You saved my brother at the bridge!! If there's anything at all you need-"

12753974724_1d16f6fbcd_t.jpg

"Holy foink! Can I get your oinkograph?!"

12753665903_434f61df16_t.jpg

"Shut up Mincerind, you bastards still owe me money!"

13093983424_3619980c15_t.jpg

"Taroksh oshuul, I know that elf, she was at the riot, she killed all those sarl-"

12753542195_4bda96d627_t.jpg

"Iz true! Iz true!! Heroez I am your biggez fan!"

13862967623_e090201338_t.jpg

"Best. Zardalvohl. EVER!!!"

"Oof. Worse than I expected." Olmstyr gave a nervous chuckle as the party was surrounded by cheering orcs.

Skrall was taken aback at the warm welcome, he had heard of the heroes exploits in Baltarok but hadn't expected the Party's reception to be so overwhelming. The ogre respectfully and gently shook as many hands as he could as he tried to make his way to Olmstyr, "Everyone's a tad more friendly than I was expectin'." The ogre doffed his cap, "Skrall the Hunter. This is quite the gatherin' ya've got here. There's some sort of event goin' on I hear."

Nerwen looks at Boomingham innocently.

I can't think words we'd need to have other than your saying thank you. If you recall, it was your idea, you threw your name into the mix, why be surprised that others have as nearly a high opinion of yourself as you do?

Nerwen pauses and fixes him with a firm stare,

I will strive to keep my words wise and fair and you may be my choice to lead in Eubric, but on this quest I am the leader and you will keep your blade pointed in the right direction.

Looking Boomingham's equipment over she asks,

what is it you do now? Vindicator you said? Will you be the sword like a knight or the shield like a paladin?

"Don't recall having any trouble last time you led. I think I was more than orderly." Boomingham smirks. "I pointed my blade at the Pongcanis and down they went. Just as ordered. As for my impending Kingship, guess you're right about that. Always have said people ought to think higher of me." He puffs out his chest and chuckles.

"Yes, Vindicator, more similar to Paladin than you'd know. Still ostensibly serving the gods, though really I think it might be the other way around. Got my whole own little pantheon on my mind now - Gray Angel, Pseuedoes, even threw the God of Light in there to make the little pest happy as we said adieu. But it's still all the same. The gods can have their say, but more often than not I find they keep quiet and I get to call the shots."

"Hm, dragons. Couldn't have been bigger than you though, huh, big boy? What'd you do, step on his tail and rile him up?"

Boomingham is only able to wink a playful farewell to Haldor before he and the others are fired off across the world. Steadying himself in Baltarok, Boomingham felt his lunch lurch forward. He shook it off. "Damn. Nearly as bad as travel by sea. At least this way is quicker." He looks around at the swarming Orcs and Scupperer is already half of the way out of the sheath before he realizes that they are not attacking. He slides it back to rest quietly and beams at the crowd, taking a bow. "Looks like you left a good impression on them," he says to Nerwen. "Want to introduce me? Seems like the sort of crowd that wouldn't mind to hear my titles."

Nerwen shrugs.

There's one of me and hordes of them. The ones I met on the bridge generally didn't stop to give their names.

Nerwen shakes hands and makes small talk in very rusty orcish, her dialect arcane and a century and a half old.

She steps closer to Olmstyr.

Stars shine on our meeting.

Skrall was taken aback at the warm welcome, he had heard of the heroes exploits in Baltarok but hadn't expected the Party's reception to be so overwhelming. The ogre respectfully and gently shook as many hands as he could as he tried to make his way to Olmstyr, "Everyone's a tad more friendly than I was expectin'." The ogre doffed his cap, "Skrall the Hunter. This is quite the gatherin' ya've got here. There's some sort of event goin' on I hear."

You ass, do you know how long I spent recoloring that stupid Robin Hood hat in that picture and now it's a tricorne? :cry_sad::tongue:

"Er, yes, it certainly is!" The orc raised his voice to be heard over the cheers from the crowd.

Boomingham is only able to wink a playful farewell to Haldor before he and the others are fired off across the world. Steadying himself in Baltarok, Boomingham felt his lunch lurch forward. He shook it off. "Damn. Nearly as bad as travel by sea. At least this way is quicker." He looks around at the swarming Orcs and Scupperer is already half of the way out of the sheath before he realizes that they are not attacking. He slides it back to rest quietly and beams at the crowd, taking a bow. "Looks like you left a good impression on them," he says to Nerwen. "Want to introduce me? Seems like the sort of crowd that wouldn't mind to hear my titles."

"Probably best not to rile them up even more, Mister Boomingham, here I was thinking Bastala could get you here quickly and quietly." He sighed but then smiled a bit. "Who am I kidding, subtlety isn't the strong suit of her or Heroica."

Nerwen shrugs.

There's one of me and hordes of them. The ones I met on the bridge generally didn't stop to give their names.

Nerwen shakes hands and makes small talk in very rusty orcish, her dialect arcane and a century and a half old.

She steps closer to Olmstyr.

Stars shine on our meeting.

"And hopefully on the rest of the evening too Miss Ca-"

13862967623_e090201338_t.jpg

"STAALRAHK! STAALRAHK!"

11059565463_224b5594d9_t.jpg

"Wait!! I haven't gotten a look at the human!"

At last, Olmstyr shook his head and raised his voice even louder.

"ALRIGHT, EVERYBODY! QUIET DOWN, DOL TROV DAZ TAROKSH KAN, BACK OFF THE HEROES, PLEASE!"

The orc managed to wave off most of the surrounding fans, a considerable feat for just one man.

"I know we're all honored to have Heroica back in Baltarok, but they're here on Vauno business, and we all know how important these things are, so give us some space here." He directed everyone back to their various tasks, nodding and waving at the last few as they ran off. "Col, col, dol ul dir droog, there are still preparations to make."

He ran his hand through his hand and chuckled when they were finally all gone, turning back to the party.

"Sorry about that. As I was saying, I'm Olmstyr. I'm the one who brought Heroica to Baltarok in the first place, helping bring the clans together and deal with a-" he scratched the back of his neck. "-situation regarding a bridge. Heroica really pulled through there and I'm hoping for similar results here."

"We've been having a bit of a renaissance as far as society is concerned ever since we started rebuilding Imaestym." He motioned to the city around them. "It got ransacked pretty terribly when heroes were last here, but we've got more money than orcs could typically ever need thanks to the bridge and other benefactors, so Karstaal over there-" he tilted his head towards the man on stage dishing out orders. -"spared no expense get things back up and running as soon as possible. The finishing touches are being put on the palace now, as you can see."

"More importantly, Baltarok's got a bigger role than ever in foreign politics. The High Kingdoms still don't want to deal with us, but, well." Olmstyr gave a pleased grin. "Now they don't really have a choice in the matter. We've been working with one of the territories there, the Kingdom of the Red Lizards, to free as many slaves as possible across the whole continent. Slow going, but it's progress. We've had traders coming through, we're building a new shipyard. No problems in dealing with other nations, yet. Bastala may not be in power, but between her, Karstaal, and a few changing opinions among the clan leaders, Baltarok is being changed, for the better."

"Which brings us to today. Zardalvohl."

Olmstyr paused, hand on the pommel of his sword, and lead the way down the street, away from the palace.

"How much do you know about the Orcish Invasion, heroes? Or, more importantly, about Tarokai?"

Edited by CallMePie

OOC: Guys, I am sorry but I will be unavailable for a few days due to my grandfather passing away. Until I get back, Chromeknight has control over Thalion.

Sorry for your loss. Talk all the time that you need. :thumbup:

Skrall furrowed his brow trying to remember the stories told to him by his family. "T'was a bloody affair. As fer Tarokai some say he brought the greenskins closer to glory than they had ever come, but paid for it dearly. T'was one of the first true unitin's of the clans. If ya don't mind me askin', what do ya think of him yerself, Olmstyr?"

"More than you'd like me to, probably," says Boomingham with a dangerous grin. "I was there. Fought on the other side of things than you, needless to say. Killed a huge number of greenskins. You chaps don't go down easy, unless faced with a genius general. But you backed me into quite a few tight corners, I won't lie. Not that I couldn't always get out."

"As for Tarokai, didn't run into him, obviously. If I had, I probably wouldn't be standing here. No two ways about it, he was a killer and good at what he was doing. Knew a lot of hot shot generals who thought they'd be able to slow him down... didn't work out so well for them." Boomingham chortles. "I had already been fighting for quite a while when Augustus went to go stop him. Never ended up this far north during the war - mostly skirmishes as your army swept south. There was one time, me and four of my men were holed up in a hillside, had gone on a scouting mission and got caught between our force and this Orcish leader, can't recall his name, Clan Leader Scraggly Tooth or something. Anyway, we couldn't loop back around, but we didn't want our force to be caught unawares, so I did the only thing I could think of and blew a horn one of the men had. That turned the Orcs on us right quick, so we had to hold our own until our boys swept up behind them. Accidentally ended up flanking the Orcs." Boomingham laughs, his eyes misty, his face red. He pats it with his kerchief. "Anyway, point is, I didn't run into the chap, only his goons, and they weren't half as smart as he was."

Skrall furrowed his brow trying to remember the stories told to him by his family. "T'was a bloody affair. As fer Tarokai some say he brought the greenskins closer to glory than they had ever come, but paid for it dearly. T'was one of the first true unitin's of the clans. If ya don't mind me askin', what do ya think of him yerself, Olmstyr?"

"Well, I'm glad to hear your tribe still remembers him that way, Mister Skrall. A lot of enslaved orcs see him as a traitor to their race without realizing he was once a slave too," remarks Olmstyr sadly. "In either case, that's certainly an opinion everyone can agree on. He did more for our race than anyone and we paid an enormous price for it."

"What do I think? Well," he hesitated, "Truthfully, I don't know if I can overstate how significant he is to everyone in Baltarok. These huge preparations you're seeing? This day of great celebration in a country that's struggled to survive for a millenia? This is just to mark his greatest failure. Personally? I think he gave Baltarok a real chance...a chance we've squandered for far too long. I'm hoping these are the days that make all of those sacrifices worth it in the end."

"More than you'd like me to, probably," says Boomingham with a dangerous grin. "I was there. Fought on the other side of things than you, needless to say. Killed a huge number of greenskins. You chaps don't go down easy, unless faced with a genius general. But you backed me into quite a few tight corners, I won't lie. Not that I couldn't always get out."

"As for Tarokai, didn't run into him, obviously. If I had, I probably wouldn't be standing here. No two ways about it, he was a killer and good at what he was doing. Knew a lot of hot shot generals who thought they'd be able to slow him down... didn't work out so well for them." Boomingham chortles. "I had already been fighting for quite a while when Augustus went to go stop him. Never ended up this far north during the war - mostly skirmishes as your army swept south. There was one time, me and four of my men were holed up in a hillside, had gone on a scouting mission and got caught between our force and this Orcish leader, can't recall his name, Clan Leader Scraggly Tooth or something. Anyway, we couldn't loop back around, but we didn't want our force to be caught unawares, so I did the only thing I could think of and blew a horn one of the men had. That turned the Orcs on us right quick, so we had to hold our own until our boys swept up behind them. Accidentally ended up flanking the Orcs." Boomingham laughs, his eyes misty, his face red. He pats it with his kerchief. "Anyway, point is, I didn't run into the chap, only his goons, and they weren't half as smart as he was."

"Yes, Haldor told me of your, uh, experience in the war. I'm sure you'll have a lot of admirers at the feast." Olmstyr chuckled lightly. "That sounds just like the type of name they'd give an orcish leader. And you're right, Tarokai never had any interest in going in that direction. Straight to the head of the dragon. Straight to Ennon."

"Yes, strategy wasn't exactly the strong suit of the Invasion. Numbers and determination certainly were. Many were freed slaves just as he was, picking up weapons they didn't know how to use and marching to the front. Give someone a cause good enough and they'll take on the whole world; and Tarokai had a damn good one."

"Point being, he was an extremely important person. A thousand years of nothing but infighting and imprisonment, and one slave who broke his chains set out to fix that. To give us a chance we never had. Can't fault people for wanting him dead, he had the biggest army the world had ever seen as his back and had just destroyed one of the most developed kingdoms in Olegaia. Ask anyone in Baltarok what they think of Tarokai, and, dead or alive, you'll get answers ranging from 'hero' to 'god'."

"And that's why Zardalvohl is so important. Truthfully I was a bit surprised Heroica didn't seem to have its own celebration planned, it was an end for Baltarok just as much as it was a beginning for Heroica. You see, Zardalvohl - 'death of glory' is the day on which Tarokai was killed. Little over two and a half centuries ago, this was the day that everything changed for the orcs. For a very long time it's traditionally been a day of mourning. A day away from the harsh realities of Baltarok to look back and recognize the most important orc who ever lived. I think humans have a similar tradition; funerals? Except this one lasts a full day, and spans an entire country. Stocks of food are broken out - and this is one of only two days a year you'll see a Baltarok orc drink. Families gather from far and wide, each city sings the chant of Tarok's Requiem, shaking the very heavens. It used to be one great, sad affair."

"But a lot's changed in the past few years. Now the clan leaders want Zardalvohl to stand not for the death of an era, but for the beginning of a new one. Heroica directly contributed to this new era, so of course they wanted you to be part of it. But unfortunately, as you well know, that's not all you're here for."

Olmstyr paused in front of a bolted door with an old orcish symbol carved into the stout wood. He pushed it open with some difficulty, revealing what looked like a very dilapidated bar.

26657454005_3fef96f5ee_z.jpg

"You're also here to help the Vauno keep our clan leaders alive."

26051653564_8646297e42_t.jpg

"Right! And the easiest way to do that is to kill whatever wants them not alive. So that'll be fun, yeah? I hear you're all pretty good at that!" The young hobgoblin punched Skrall in the arm as though he had some kind of inside joke with the stranger.

"This is Daske, the Marykvaun, or the...Arbiter, I suppose, in your tongue. You'll notice the dragon, he-"

"Is eating." The young hobgoblin stopped, then her eyes lit up. "Oh! You're probably wondering WHY there's a dragon, a REAL dragon anyway, in Baltarok. Well, Aazy here is kind of the last one in our dusty little corner of the world, so that makes me the only Baltarok dragoon around."

26630637866_44677f7a0c_t.jpg

"Thus your presence." The quieter orc stared intently into the roaring fireplace. "I am Tra-Serral. The Executor. The she-elf has sufficient information regarding my skills."

The party's guide had barely even gotten to open his mouth to introduce the female orc. He closed his eyes, took a slight breath, then turned back to the party with a somewhat apologetic expression.

"...Right. And I am the Vindicator, or Strakvaun. The three of us make up the Vauno. And this, er," Olmstyr gestured a bit sheepishly at the half-wrecked tavern behind him. "This is our headquarters. It's no Heroica Hall at the moment, but believe me, the Vauno used to be a big deal back when Tarokai was alive."

"They're here for their money Olmstyr, not our history. We should discuss these assassinations."

Skrall nodded along to Olmstyr's relating of the deeds of Tarokai, "I recall only snippets of Zardalvohl from when I was a lad. Livin' so far from Baltarok there are very few traditions I'm afraid that were passed on from my parents. I am ashamed for my lack of knowledge in the details of Tarokai's story, though it gladdens me to hear that the land has found new hope with which to celebrate as opposed to mournin'."

"Right! And the easiest way to do that is to kill whatever wants them not alive. So that'll be fun, yeah? I hear you're all pretty good at that!" The young hobgoblin punched Skrall in the arm as though he had some kind of inside joke with the stranger.

"Ya might say that." The ogre smiled patting his crossbows holstered at his sides. The ogre reached out his mind, curious as to whether the drake was old enough to communicate yet.

"This is Daske, the Marykvaun, or the...Arbiter, I suppose, in your tongue. You'll notice the dragon, he-"

"Is eating." The young hobgoblin stopped, then her eyes lit up. "Oh! You're probably wondering WHY there's a dragon, a REAL dragon anyway, in Baltarok. Well, Aazy here is kind of the last one in our dusty little corner of the world, so that makes me the only Baltarok dragoon around."

"Thus your presence." The quieter orc stared intently into the roaring fireplace. "I am Tra-Serral. The Executor. The she-elf has sufficient information regarding my skills."

The party's guide had barely even gotten to open his mouth to introduce the female orc. He closed his eyes, took a slight breath, then turned back to the party with a somewhat apologetic expression.

"...Right. And I am the Vindicator, or Strakvaun. The three of us make up the Vauno. And this, er," Olmstyr gestured a bit sheepishly at the half-wrecked tavern behind him. "This is our headquarters. It's no Heroica Hall at the moment, but believe me, the Vauno used to be a big deal back when Tarokai was alive."

"They're here for their money Olmstyr, not our history. We should discuss these assassinations."

Skrall nodded at the two new greenskins and awkwardly attempted the traditional orcish greeting, poorly mimicking Nerwen's earlier salutation.

"Even Heroica was small at one point, all it takes is a small contingent of those willin' to gather together fer the greater good and enact some change. I'm interested in hearin' more about these Vauno."

Thalion turned to the female orc, "Quite the contrary my lady, we are here to help and a bit of history might certainly go a long way. But please, do tell us about the assassination plots."

OOC: I am back. Thank you for the kind words and the patience. :sweet:

Skrall nodded along to Olmstyr's relating of the deeds of Tarokai, "I recall only snippets of Zardalvohl from when I was a lad. Livin' so far from Baltarok there are very few traditions I'm afraid that were passed on from my parents. I am ashamed for my lack of knowledge in the details of Tarokai's story, though it gladdens me to hear that the land has found new hope with which to celebrate as opposed to mournin'."

"You'll have to tell me where you grew up sometime, I hadn't encountered any ogres in my brief voyage to Eubric. In either case, you've nothing to be ashamed for joining a group like Heroica; it's people like you that've made this change possible." Olmstyr bowed his head slightly to Skrall. The old ogre could swear he saw Tra-Serral roll her eyes out of the corner of his own.

"Ya might say that." The ogre smiled patting his crossbows holstered at his sides. The ogre reached out his mind, curious as to whether the drake was old enough to communicate yet.

The ridges on the sides of the dragon's head perked up slightly, clearly very unattuned to being communicated with.

26133201603_23f7fd6c92_t.jpg

<What? Hello? Is someone there?!> The tiny thing looked up at Skrall, then quickly slithered back behind Daske's head, peeking at the great ogre over her helmet. Daske laughed.

"Hah! Didn't know anyone but a dragoon could speak Drag...lish? Dragtar? Dragommon? Do you speak to lots of dragons?" She raised her eyebrows, curious.

Skrall nodded at the two new greenskins and awkwardly attempted the traditional orcish greeting, poorly mimicking Nerwen's earlier salutation.

"Even Heroica was small at one point, all it takes is a small contingent of those willin' to gather together fer the greater good and enact some change. I'm interested in hearin' more about these Vauno."

Tra-Serral looked entirely unimpressed with Skrall's gesture while Daske was trying to mimic his bizarre hand motion herself.

"Clan Vauno was around since before we started recording history in Baltarok. In the ancient days they were a tribe like any other. But at some point they became...enlightened, I suppose. It was they who originated the legends of Tarok. Their beliefs took root and spread throughout the whole continent despite all the strife. And they were said to hold Tarok's favor, more than any other. They channeled their religious fury and destroyed any who would stand in their way. And they lasted a very long time. In fact, if it weren't for the Invasion, Clan Vauno would certainly be with us still. They were older than even Clan Irlaz. But, well..." Olmstyr shrugged somewhat bittersweetly. "When the orc who'd just led the largest and most successful slave rebellion of all time walked into Baltarok, they were the ones to greet him with open arms. They were the ones who helped him to gather all the clans of Baltarok under one banner. And when they decided upon invasion, and this slave rose to lead them all, it was the Vauno who bestowed him with the name Tarokai."

"Picture what a paladin of Baltarok would look like! Except, yaknow, less....stuck-up. And worth a damn at fighting."

"Clan Vauno gave up their independence when Tarokai invaded. They did not seek to use their power to their own ends, but instead, they used it in the name of the entire orcish race. They dissolved, and became the Vauno, and whenever you see a tale of how Tarokai fought five kings at once, or how he destroyed a kingdom inside a single week, or slaughtered a hundred paladins to free a handful of slaves, the Vauno were at his side."

"And they continued to do so to the very end. When you see the tale of how a hundred heroes came to kill Tarokai, the Vauno were at his side, until they cut those hundred heroes down to six, and were wiped out in the process."

"If they'd've been just a bit better, there'd be no Heroica, Tarokai would've lived, and Baltarok would be five times as big as it is now!" explained Daske cheerfully. "Weird to think about, huh?"

Thalion turned to the female orc, "Quite the contrary my lady, we are here to help and a bit of history might certainly go a long way. But please, do tell us about the assassination plots."

"Fine."

"There are four clans in Baltarok. Irlaz, Aj-Kahr, Tarokin. We stand now in Clan Musalnav's capital, and it is here the heart of Zardalvohl will take place. All the clan leaders will be present, and the lizard king as well."

"That would be King Valentino, of the Kingdom of the Red Lizard. They're the kingdom that built the bridge, and the one that...well."

"The one Baltarok's getting all buddy-buddy with these days, yeah?"

"Right. And the one that's been helping us negotiate for the release of orcish slaves in the rest of the High Kingdoms. Suffice to say he's the first-...er, first current king," he corrected himself, with a nod at Boomingham. "-to set foot in Baltarok in...ever, possibly. And with all the changes to this year's Zardalvohl..."

"Things are changing in Baltarok and some people don't like that. They're coming here tonight and we're going to kill them. You're helping."

"Basically, yeah! We caught a whiff of a lead, gosh, must've been over a year ago now! Unless you've got green skin, everything you do in Baltarok is getting noticed. So it wasn't hard to investigate."

"Which I did-"

"Right, then I interrogated a few cronies. That was fun."

"And I eliminated each contact we found. If they assassins were planning on having support, then they will be disappointed."

"Correct. We suspect all of the assassins are foreigners - with a caveat or two I'll explain in a bit - we have the code names each of them used to deal with their contacts, and we know they're targeting our clan leaders. Tonight."

"What we don't know is who hired them, if they're all working together, or, if they are working together, who the heck put 'em together?"

"We have five names...but not necessarily five assassins.

The Red Death.

The Silken Savior.

The Brothers Blue.

The Gentleman Thief.

The Burning Pilgrim.

We kill them all and our job is completed. And thusly, your job is completed."