Mazin

What other pirate movie franchise could Pirate sets be based on?

So, as usual during christmas time i like to to some adventure movie marathons, or pirate movie marathons. And as there's not really many of them, and many good, still a lot of them bring a nice classic feel, produce some originality in script, heroes, action, etc.

And, I know it's not very possible, but IF TLG was about to make new pirate like theme based on movies other than POTC what movie/movies would You choose and why?

What characters do You think would work well as Lego minifuigures and what scenes would You like to be remade into sets, like the way they did POTC scenes and so we can replay them now. :pir-classic:

Who's first?

If it was for me I'd go for my all time favorites - Polanski Pirates - great characters! Cpt. Red is like a must have :pir_laugh2: And of course those great spanish officers, not to mention galleon and a raft of course. And to tell the truth I believe that this on may have even been a huge inspiration for classic Lego Pirates.

captnred.jpg

Second one - Cuttroat Island. Of course the word "cuttroat" would have to be kicked out, as it sound rarther unsuitable for kids.

Still, we had some fine characters - Morgan, a feriocious female pirate. Doug, the bad guy, would look definitely bad as a figure. He's never wearing a hat, and lacks a nice haircut, so bald Lego minifigure wouldn't work. On the other hand we had fantastic british characters - lon haired kpt Trotter and governor Ainslie with his wig and powdered face. It's a definite must have! Same with Snelgrave - Doug's henchman.

Also we had some fine scenes that could work as sets - like a stagecoach chase scene and a battle in the bucaneer town.

Cutthroat_2_lg._V219329202_.jpg

1732_3.jpg

and finally

Crimson Pirate.

Probably the only pirate movie that everyone here has seen and loved.

Lot's of fun ideas, although there's a bit of punkish style here - a submarine, a baloon - those are rather uncommon for a pirate movie.

Still, could work some sets out of this one.

On the other hand - I don't think that Burt would look well as a minifigure. He's ust.. to well shaved :pir-wink:

23410_crimson-pirate-1.jpg

Pirates of the Great Salt Lake

Sets could include a mixture of Pirate and Town:

• A Jolly Old St. Nick row boat
  • A modern yacht
  • Modern Library
  • Seafood Restaurant
  • Pawn Shop
  • Tandem Bike

Treasure Island! Loads of versions exists, but the best one, imho, is the 1990 adaption with Christian Bale, Oliver Reed, Charlton Heston and Julian Glover

Edited by 1974

I think that Peter Pan and Treasure Island based sets would hold the most water.

Something based on Hook (maybe when Spielberg gets a chance to redo it) or the Neverland miniseries would be my first choice for Peter Pan, but there is a lot to work with.

Treasure Island has a lot to work with as well. Black Sails is current but it is a bit too adult. Muppet Treasure Island LEGO could be interesting.

These also have tons of stuff in written form to pull from, in addition to the film and tv versions.

Oh c'mon, the obvious answer is Captain Blood with Errol Flynn.

From the duel on the rocks to the ships to the prison and plantation there are a ton of great potential sets. pirate_laugh2.gif

Though it is not really a shipboard pirate movie, The Princess Bride. The Dread Pirate Roberts could be done well with the new do-rag, but a Fezzik fig would be a big want. "Inconceivable!"

Personally I was sad that the last Tintin movie didn't get a Lego license. Partly because I love Tintin, but also there were a couple of good Pirate ships that could have been made into sets.

Though it is not really a shipboard pirate movie, The Princess Bride. The Dread Pirate Roberts could be done well with the new do-rag, but a Fezzik fig would be a big want. "Inconceivable!"

+1

It would be a good excuse for a pirate ship or two as well... I would be all over a set from that movie.

Chris

Something based on Hook (maybe when Spielberg gets a chance to redo it) or the Neverland miniseries would be my first choice for Peter Pan, but there is a lot to work with.

What's wrong with Hook?pirate_oh.gif

I absolutely love that movie! pirate_satisfied.gif

I can't understand why is it so underrated to a point where even Spielberg hates it.

I guess that the movie simply wasn't lucky, bad press, bad timing or something, can't get the reason really. If it was a succes than everyone would still love it. But seriously, it's got some of the most amazing picture-music-art design sequences in the history of cinematography. Definitely one of the best movies Spielberg has ever made. Probably the most magical one, right after ( of even before ) E.T. pirate_classic.gif

It has something to do with this global unexplainable hate that some people get and can't get rid off. Like with Cutthroat Island. And still, Cutthroat Island had some major problems, lucked few things while Hook is great great great overall... well, I've never liked Rufio to tell the truth pirate_wink.gif

On the other hand, a lot of todays classic watched over and over used to be hated and detested, banned when they came out. So why are they now praised, while some others are still cursed.

Not to mention of course that Hook was NOT A FLOP... it was a pretty huge succes in the cinemas pirate_classic.gif

I loved Hook too, but I think that the chance of LEGO sets based off of something would be much greater if the movie was in current production or theaters.

True... but this is topic and this one only is focused on dreams about the past pirate_wink.gif

Being the complete weirdo that I am, I want the Pirates of Penzance (80's movie version). Now, if we're talking about pirate movies that actually have a chance, then I second the call for Princess Bride. That would be great fun.

Theres a new Peter Pan movie coming out this year: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_(2015_film)

I guess its too late to hope for a LEGO license or we would have heard about it by now, but it seemed like a good opportunity for kid-friendly pirate sets. Im not really complaining, its better that we got an in-house theme.

Edit: Huh, somehow the 2nd parenthesis isnt recognized as part of the link. Well, it still suggests the correct link, so one should be able to get to the correct webpage.

Edited by Ardelon

And to tell the truth I believe that this on may have even been a huge inspiration for classic Lego Pirates.

Oh my god, you're right. Lego's pirate theme definitely was inspired by Polaksi's Pirates. I can't believe I never knew that.

Not REALLY a pirate movie, but... The Bounty (1984) starring Anthony Hopkins and Mel Gibson is one of my favourite maritime movies. I'd be really excited to see some sets based on that one, although the chances for this are virtually non-existent...

@Raskolnikov : Polanski ;)

@Dreamweb : I'm not sure, as you mentionned, that it can be released as a theme, due to the fact that most of the "interesting" points of the pirates line are not in this movie (skull and crossbones, eyepatch, big battles with lot of dead, etc. so you know...). But for AFOL, it would be great ;)

A much more recent film 'Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists!'

Saw this Aardman animated film in 2012, and really think that kids would love it!

To be honest, I like non-licensed pirates better. I was never a fan of PotC in the first place, only saw the first movie, didn't like it. And licensed sets, regardless of the franchise, are overpriced in general. Finally, the original Pirates were obviously non-licensed so I'm being a bit of a conservative in this regard.

I know it's not really tradition pirates and is steampunk/scifi/pirates, but I would love ships based off of Treasure Planet. It's vastly underrated as a movie, and it'd be interesting to see Pirates from a different point of view. It's one of my favorite adaptations of Treasure Island, and has lots of similar themes. I'd love to see big, graceful research vessels like the RLS Legacy built in Lego. Just imagine Imperial Flagship, but in space and with a proper cabin and crew quarters.

Oddly, (characters and look aside) I always took inspiration as a kid from Muppets Treasure island. Always thought the theme, the songs, the comedy and the story fitted in Perfectly with lego pirates. Stevenson mixed with jim Henson!

We all know Treasure Island is THE pirate story against which all others are measured (and fall short). No, it isn't a movie franchise, but it has been filmed countless times (1990 with Christian Bale and Charlton Heston was easily the best). I understand that POTC had a big fan base before Lego was involved but it really pales in comparison. For one thing, Stevenson didn't need 4 (going on 5?) tries to tell his classic tale and the story provides such a wealth of variety. There's the inn, tavern, port, ship, island, stockade and blockhouse, jungle, etc. There are lots of colorful characters - Jim Hawkins, Billy Bones, Black Dog, Blind Pew, Dr. Livesey, the Squire, Cap'n Smollet, Silver, Ben Gunn, etc. There are numerous iconic scenes that could easily be made into sets. And then there's the backstory of Flint and his glory days before burying the treasure and drinking himself to death. TLG could make an exceptional theme from it all and I'm confident it would sell well based on the book's position as an old classic.

Edited by Captain Dee

I don't know why, but I feel partial to Captain Horatio Hornblower starring Gregory Peck.

CAPTAIN_HORATIO_HORNBLOWER-15.jpg

It's not pirates, but it is swashbuckling fun on the high seas.

And then there's the backstory of Flint and his glory days before burying the treasure and drinking himself to death. TLG could make an exceptional theme from it all and I'm confident it would sell well based on the book's position as an old classic.

Have any of you seen the Starz Show Black Sails? It takes place before Treasure Island as kind of a prequel. Not the most child friendly show, but good nonetheless.