Sign in to follow this  
lone_buffalo

Give Bionicle a Break

I know Bionicle has had a rather bad start with 2007 and the Free the Band promo was pretty tacky, but I think you should give them a break. They are making them as detailed and articlulated as possible so please stop banging at them.

I know Bionicle has had a rather bad start with 2007 and the Free the Band promo was pretty tacky, but I think you should give them a break. They are making them as detailed and articlulated as possible so please stop banging at them.

Wow you are the first person who agrees with me.

They are making them as detailed and articlulated as possible

Detailed and articulated =/= good sets.

They can be detailed and articulated, and still have unacceptable gaps in the build, poor set design, and an overall unpleasing aesthetic.

Also, I gave Bionicle a break. I started with them back in the day, and faithfully followed until it just wasn't any good anymore.

<<DV>>

I agree with you completly. You may notice that I never post in the topics discussing new Bionicle sets because all the people do is say "Oh, the Mahri make the villains look like heroes!" or " GregF has killed, murdered, and completly destroyed Bionicle" It's really annoying the heck out of me.

It's not even the horrible construction that people hate...it's the wretched pathetic story 8-| Sorry if that was a bit harsh, but it's the story that's the real problem. We started on a mythical island with swords and claws. Now we're underwater with machine guns? It seems like they had a good idea and just stopped trying...

It's not even the horrible construction that people hate...it's the wretched pathetic story 8-| Sorry if that was a bit harsh, but it's the story that's the real problem. We started on a mythical island with swords and claws. Now we're underwater with machine guns? It seems like they had a good idea and just stopped trying...

Agreed entirely. The story is the massive glaring problem this year, from the way I see it. They had a good thing (kinda iffy to me at first, but I warmed up) going and they dragged it through the dark side of the moon.

I also agree with Darth Vader about articulation. So what if a model has a gazillion points of articulation? To me, it's ALWAYS about useful articulation and honestly, articulation will NOT save a storyline. For all those fans of articulation, I suggest the Marvel Legends line. It's got more articulation and grit than Bionicle will *ever* have. And why not try this:

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/356/200...chmovie2tu2.jpg

67 points of articulation, not bad, huh? And it's got an awesome story too! Afterall, Spider-Man has got a stellar run of stories, ranging from the movies to the new comic books. (No sarcasm here, by the way)

As for "don't bang it", well, these are message boards. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how weak or strong. Regardless of whether it's baseless critisism or a critical analysis, anything goes as long as it's within the confines of the rules and regulations. To be quite frank, I'm quite sick and tired of how some fawn over some of the Mahiri like starving, improvished children (refering to the official LEGO boards). But I don't attack them based on their irrational love. I present my view from my perspective, from the way I see it. I'm sorry if I sometimes come over as blunt, but I always try to show reason behind my choices. Besides, there's always the real Bionicle fanboard of a plus 50,000 population just left of here. They always welcome praise!

Well, I think. They usually love all the sets and storylines. (Nothing wrong with that, by the way. Everyone has different tastes)

At first glace I thought you meant take a break from bionicle. :-D

I really can't relate directly. I could care less what the backsory is. Even if I was strongly into bionicle, I would create my own storyline from the start. And for the weapons, is it that hard to replace them with something else. Actually I suppose it is a bad move for lego to have backstories, movies, comics, and videogames at all.

As for the astetical value, I like these newest sets the best, at least for parts. Never really cared for humanoid biomechaniods, robots, or mechs of any theme lego or otherwise.

Yeah, we're harsh on Bionicle.

But Bionicle is harsh on us lately.

But, unlike the reason it's harsh on us, that reason being the designers / writers / executives are out of their freaking minds, WE are harsh on it out of love.

We know what it's capable of and are SOMEHOW smart enough to see what will happen to the line in the next few years, which could be very bad.

At the same time, I'm not AS bad as the majority of Bionicle-bashers this year (which is suprising, I'm usually the loudest).

Despite all the problems, Bionicle has at least created what I'd wanted the first Toa to be... honest to god action figures.

They are. Stand-alone action figures that can now hold their own in the boy's toy aisle against other action figure lines.

Second, for the moment anyway, their sales have been good.

Sure, HOW the sales were achieved will hurt them later on unless some intelligent choices / changes are made... but for the moment, it's a positive thing.

They can't keep going as they're doing things now.

If we truly love Bionicle, we'd be IRRESPONSIBLE to not beat the drums of war.

People are allowed to have their own opinions, buffalo. I sorta see where you're coming from, but people don't have to like EVERY single theme.

-l2k-

I agree with you completly. You may notice that I never post in the topics discussing new Bionicle sets because all the people do is say "Oh, the Mahri make the villains look like heroes!"

Hurrah, I have a memorable quote.

And I will give Bionicle a break. When Hewkii puts his AK-47 down, takes off his hideous mask, climbs out of the accursed water, and decides he will stop this and go back six years and play Koli.

Hurrah, I have a memorable quote.

And I will give Bionicle a break. When Hewkii puts his AK-47 down, takes off his hideous mask, climbs out of the accursed water, and decides he will stop this and go back six years and play Koli.

Sorry, I have not seen one AK-47 in Bionicle thusfar, and Koli seems to have died, with Kohlii taking its place.

You can't change the past, but you can try to write a better future. That Hewkii Mahri doesn't have to be Hewkii Mahri if you don't want him to be.

EDIT: Also, I'm not trying to hate on the haters... I'm as avid a debater and axis towards Bionicle's writers as you are.

Meh, hell with the storyline, but I am sure that GregF had something to do with the Mahri's pathetic designs...From awesomeness to tackyness?

This cannot be.

*vader*

Guys look on the bright side of life and have faith.

Man, that -is- looking on the bright side of the current set/story lineup.

<<DV>>

They can be detailed and articulated, and still have unacceptable gaps in the build, poor set design, and an overall unpleasing aesthetic. Also, I gave Bionicle a break. I started with them back in the day, and faithfully followed until it just wasn't any good anymore.

This is how Classic Castle fans feel about Castle sets released from 1996 onwards! X-D

Guys where darkness shrouds the worlds in mysteries, the light unravels them, which means:if you don't like this years Bionicle sets they'll get better just have faith.

I build system stuff and would use bionicle parts but most are made of a soft plastic and have colors and connection points that simply are awful.

Who cares about the story. I have been making up stories for my LEGO for 20 years. Before most bionicle collectors were even born.

How about instead of giving bionicle a break we give everything a break and focus on building something we like instead of just complaining about what we don't.

MOC on!