Sign in to follow this  
pedro

[MOC] Star Wars Impulse Sets

indexed.gif

Hey,

I've been working on a couple of smaller Star Wars MOCs recently (and have been musing with the idea of re-creating the Whimsical Fate) but have been having some trouble with my camera/set-up as of late - it's not helped my RA course either! So, until I get it all sorted I thought I'd show a couple of impulse sets I created last year for a contest on Brick Horizon. The 'sets' were only allowed 1 minifig with accessories and a model of 15 parts.

Excuse the grainy photos, took 'em some time ago and didn't really apply my P'shop know-how. Pictures are link to respective Bricklink folders with extra shots including parts.

Clone Commander & Crab Droid

I thought that this could work well not only as an impulse set but an army builder, giving the opportunity to add clones with upgrade options to a Grand Army and flesh out CIS armies with Crab Droids.

clone_and_crab.jpg

I've built a larger more accurate version of the Crab Droid in the past (currently have an MOC built using CIS dark blue), so it was a challenge recreating the droid using very limited parts.

crab_droid.jpg

Imperial Officer & mini Imperial Star Destroyer

Since Imperial Officers are somewhat rarer than they used to be (in tones of dark bley, flesh) this served as inspiration for another impulse.

imperial_officer_and_isd.jpg

As a accompanying model I suppose I could've created a maintenance craft but felt a mini ISD was far more interesting. Whether as an individual collectible or part of some kind of Imperial museum MOC, I felt this sat well within the set.

isd.jpg

As I was only allowed 1 final entry I went with the Clone and Crab, just felt like a more well-rounded impulse set.

Hope you like 'em, t.t.f.n.!

The clone impulse set makes perfect sense and is an awesome idea.

I'm not crazt about the mini death star becasue it isn't consistent with other impulse sets. Normally the small part that goes with the fig is something the fig can use or directly able to interact with the minifig. The mini destroyer doesn't really fit that bill. So with that said, I don't like the Imperial officer and mini star destroyer, but the crab droid is brilliant.

The crab droid is a lifesize enemy of the clone so it interacts nicely, and I love the design.

So I guess good and bad from me, either way, you are creative and I like the pictures.

Those are great impulses pedro, certainly something I would buy if they were actual sets! I love the crab droid set the most as well, really well done. The one minor complaint I have with the droid are the pincers. They look somewhat "bulky" to me; I personally would have gone with something a bit more slim, like this:

61678.1205218618.jpg

(the only problem being it doesn't come in red-brown :tongue: )

Great job though, it's remarkable the amount of detail you were able to put in the mini ISD.

Thanks for your comments chaps, positive and negative!

I'm not crazt about the mini death star becasue it isn't consistent with other impulse sets.

I understand completely - it's one of the reasons I submitted the Clone and Crab instead as it suited the idea of impulse sets far better. Saying that I was happy with the little ISD build in and of itself :wink:

The one minor complaint I have with the droid are the pincers. They look somewhat "bulky" to me...

Curved parts do work better, but as you mentioned don't come in reddish brown! My original Crab Droid - off of which this is based - uses curved pieces and does look better. I think if I was to re-design the set I'd alter the brown colour scheme to dark red, replacing the slopes with curved slopes.

Thanks for your comments chaps, positive and negative!

I understand completely - it's one of the reasons I submitted the Clone and Crab instead as it suited the idea of impulse sets far better. Saying that I was happy with the little ISD build in and of itself :wink:

Glad you understand! :thumbup:

With that said, the mini star destroter alone is great, looks really to scale to be honest. So as a stand alone mini, I'd buy it. :classic:

Great ideas for impulse set. Consistent with impulse sets or not, I really like the mini ISD. We can always say the ISD is actually a large model that the officer is studying at the Imperial Academy for his final exam before he gets his ISD Pilot License.

I really like the crab droid. I like his legs it's a good use of that piece. The imperial impulse is good but I don't really get how he would drive it? It's a great mini but doesn't really go together like the crab droid and clone

Great work

I really like these Pedro :thumbup:

the Crab droid is really cute and so is the star destroyer. :thumbup::wub:

I'd buy these if they where sets.

CommanderFox

Edited by CommanderFox

On a general note I like this concept, and Í'd be behind LEGO Group if they chose to release these as an impluse set.

Being more specific, these builds are nice little MOCs. Congrats to you.

But I'm a little confused about the reference to the "mini death star" by Big Cam.

Edited by LEGOscum