Sign in to follow this  
Lego Fanaat

Tips for making Lego videos

Recently I decided that I want to dig up my old Lego sets and make stop motion videos of building the sets and of the sets in action.

As a special twist to these videos I decided that it might be interesting to film it from different angles simultaneously.

I made a test vid with a set I had laying around (TMNT Kraang lab Escape):

Any ideas, tips or other kind of comments are very welcome, before I start working on my old castle and robin hood themed sets (since these are significantly larger)

Hi

two things: Background and lightning. Keep you backgroundS as clean as possilbe, white, grey or black. Second: Whitebalance your images.

Dino

I agree with Darth Dino, I would also look at adding some music to liven it up a bit also (look for creative commons music to avoid copyright strikes on your channel though)

Ditch any camera that don't have manual white balance and ISO setting. Otherwise your video would have varying white and brightness level. Like the old film from hand cranked camera a century ago.

Fixed ISO, fixed white balance, and fixed focus to keep each frame consistent.

Use a tripod. Nothing worse than getting sea sick watching a youtube video with a constantly moving camera.

Thanks for the fast reply with great tips!

I also figured I need to use a ground plate in order to keep the current build in its place.

I am especially happy to find out that you can use music for videos without fearing copyright infringement.

Now to find time to build all my childhood sets :classic: