Captain Hannibal Joost

Island project: how to create water and reefs

Hi everyone,

I plan to make a big island, as realistic as possible, starting with a "volumetric" ocean (ie, higher than one plate).

I've tried and look at different technics, but I can't find something beautiful.

My idea was to have part of coral reefs with transparent tiles or plates or rounds above, but the result doesn't work.

Any ideas or example?

Thanks in advance!

I've seen some builds where the "water" was empty space and the sides were clear to see in. Unfortunately I can't remember any of the names but this way will give you a above and below view.

The problem with empty space is that it's hard to make waves on the beach with a transition to wet sand... pirate_sceptic.gif

Sure it is.

To deal a shore and to see what is beneath the water I think Phred showed us a good example on this build. Perhaps a good idea to start.

I made myself a ship wreckage on a reef for Brethren of the Brick Seas, but didn't made the water : The end of the Appleseed.

Hoping that will help.

"Cheat"!

Put the under-water part beneeth glass (plexiglass or lexan would work too) and build the ocean's surface on top.

You could try to brick-build it like Phred did but it will limit your span. With that method you'd have to find clever ways to add supports which go from the floor to the surface.

If you want a more engineering based opinion on how to span great distances as such, you should hit up the Technic forum, some of those guys really know their stuff!

"Cheat"!

Put the under-water part beneeth glass (plexiglass or lexan would work too) and build the ocean's surface on top.

Agreed. This would be the best/easiest way.

I've seen multiple pirate displays with Plexiglas seas, and they look pretty good.

You could try to brick-build it like Phred did but it will limit your span.

It's my topic, but I didn't build it. That was a flickr find. :thumbup:

I haven't done it yet, but my plan for LEGO ocean is glass. I've seen a few different types (frosted, frosted/wavy, clear/wavy) I think it will look pretty good (better than the no longer made blue baseplates) and sorta cost effective.

For the final render, you're probably right. A plexi or glass will do the job. But... it's not Lego pirate_laugh2.gif

I have to say I probably plan this as a "modular" building (multiple 32x32 base plate) to transport it easily. So plexi or glass plate will be hard to use.