robuko

Hell in Historica

7714416554_0bacae3e10_z.jpg

Shortly before his demise at his own hands, the Mad Monk Aloysius of the Holy Order recorded for posterity the scene of devastation that recently engulfed Caestra. Aloysius was in a fragile mental condition, and we cannot say for sure whether this is an accurate representation, as there are no other known survivors. The ruins of Caestra do suggest at least some of this picture represents events on the ground. The Elementals and their minions are a mighty force. We must redouble our defences.

Yours Aye,

Rasputin

:classic:

Director's note

I wanted to try something very different with this challenge. The challenge of translating a Hieronymous Bosch painting into lego very much appealed. Bosch's visions of Hell epitomise the Medieval horror of the supernatural, for me. I want to leave open the suggestion that some of this might be the imagination of a somewhat fragile Mad Monk. This picture is based on a fragment of "Christ in Limbo" from a follower of Bosch.

bosch.jpg?w=480&h=360

I know there are some religious Christians on the site, I have no intention to offend anyone with this challenge. I have kept commentary in the story to a minimum because I am not really too sure what is going on in the painting in the first place. But it ain't good if this stuff comes to Historica!

Terrible light today, apologies for the photo quality.

Edited by robuko

Jeez...I'm glad the Mad Monks weren't situated by my people after all...

Fantastic build, robuko. It matches the painting pretty well.

Edit: Sorry about the...jeez, I think it's a triple post. Chrome spazzed out.

Edited by Axis600

Wow, a great translation of that painting! You said it would be different, and you did not disappoint, this is very unique for this challenge and that is always a good thing!

You never dissapoint, both in the quality of your builds, and the "how in the world did he come up with that?" factor. Completely unique, and very well done interpretation of the painting. As always, your story is excellent. Very impressive!

You never fail to dissapoint, ...

I think perhaps you mean that he never disappoints, or never fails to impress. :laugh:

@ robuko: Very original and interesting idea! :thumbup: The way you've shown perspective with the micro figures and then trophies actually looks quite convincing! Perhaps the most unique entree so far.

I think perhaps you mean that he never disappoints, or never fails to impress. :laugh:

Boy, is my face red! Yes, Rob never disappoints.

This is very good, the use of heroica figures is brilliant, I like those eyes :thumbup:

I really like the uniqueness here, way to think outside the box!!! I am struggling a little bit with the 2d vision of a portrait that has 3 dimensions, but I have no clue how you could achieve that in a "painting" like setting as you did. Otherwise, I really like it. So clever!

In my eyes, it's actually better than the painting!!

It's something you can hang on the wall and every time visitors come, they will stop and look half an hour to that!

It's confusing, but it's really amazing!

With other words, just ART!!

So abstract ;)

Great entry ;)

The art term is 'sureal', Angeli.

This is that. Very much so.

Good job.

gedren_y

This makes me wonder what all the monks are drinking while they are painting, lol.

I really like it, it is different and unique and something I wasn't expecting at all. I think you did a wonderful job with it.

I love how as the challenges go on, people are starting to get more and more creative!

very well done! Very clever and you did a great job of representing the original!

Its a great copy of the painting! Definitely art.

not what I was expecting... what are those monks on? default_laugh_new.gif

you have captured the painting well, it does fit in well with this challenge.

the idea itself is already genius itself and the way you carried it out as well. If they had had lego in Mediavel times this is what the mocs would look like. Perfect!!

Instantly recoginzable Hieronymous Bosch. Very well executed and a genious idea to portrait elemental destruction. I myself thought of the idea to build a painting but it never would have been on this level! I really like the different levels and most of all the tiny figs on the mountain top left. It adds such a dimension to the build.

I instantly knew this was Bosch inspired! My eyes also bugged out of my head when I first saw this.

Way to do something SO different from everyone else it kind of has its own category. In a community of people trying to bring more "High Art" into what is basically an emerging medium, you are one of very few whom can successfully pull it off. Great job, and good luck!

This is a REAL piece of art! I bet you could actually auction it off if you wanted! default_laugh2.gif Totally unexpected but totally awesome!default_thumbup.gif