dunamis

Best way to ship overseas (from USA)?

Hi. I was looking for advice on the best and most economical way to ship LEGO from the United States overseas (specifically Australia, U.K., Canada, Western Europe). Does anyone have any advice on which carriers to use?

Thanks for the help.

Hi. I was looking for advice on the best and most economical way to ship LEGO from the United States overseas (specifically Australia, U.K., Canada, Western Europe). Does anyone have any advice on which carriers to use?

Thanks for the help.

I always ask for sending per USPS as that has always worked for me. Since they have changed things as of May 14th I do not know if this is still the best and cheapest way to send parcels overseas. I tend to think that courier services like UPS, Fed-Ex and DHL are still much more expensive because of their fast + reliable service. Things might depend on the size and weight of the parcel you need to send. It could not hurt to ask for quotes at several carriers or check the internet for online shipping prices.

For small packages and letter post, USPS is an excellent choice. For large boxes you will need to do some more investigating.

Thanks for the advice. I have used USPS about half a dozen times and it has been fine. It does seem a bit on the expensive side though. I'll look into fedex and DHL to see what they offer.

What about customs?

At some point I have to take all my stuff with me when I leave the US to return to Europe, and then I don't want to have to explain to the customs people that they are my personal bricks and not intended for sale....

Hi Dunamis.

I am in Canada, and have received hundreds of things from the US by mail (Lego, knives, toys,DVDs, books, furniture), from envelopes to boxes weighing 20 pounds.

Avoid UPS like the plague. Horrible service on the receiving end, and customs charges are incredible from them. My policy as a buyer is to not do business with anyone who uses UPS as their only shipping option.

FEDEX is better.

Frankly, at least from the US to Canada, US postal service is best. Reliable, least expensive, least hassle.

Are you getting into the Lego selling game, having filled up all you house with Lego?

For bigger bulk shipments weight more then 45kgs or so, you can try to use freight forwarding services.

One of my comments moments ago, I had introduced about my profession as international freight forwarding.

My current office located in Singapore has 1 office in USA and 1 few agents too.

I can link you up with them or you may want to me to provide a one stop service for you.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any doubts.

Thanks & B.Rgds

Eugene Tan

Hi Dunamis.

I am in Canada, and have received hundreds of things from the US by mail (Lego, knives, toys,DVDs, books, furniture), from envelopes to boxes weighing 20 pounds.

Avoid UPS like the plague. Horrible service on the receiving end, and customs charges are incredible from them. My policy as a buyer is to not do business with anyone who uses UPS as their only shipping option.

FEDEX is better.

Frankly, at least from the US to Canada, US postal service is best. Reliable, least expensive, least hassle.

Are you getting into the Lego selling game, having filled up all you house with Lego?

I have to agree with Glyman. Although i haven't had as bad experiance with ups as he has, they have given me more problems than anyother worlwide shipper. I us the U.S. postal service for all my overseas shipping. Never let me down . Ive shipped to Norway, Aulstrlia, England and recieved for all those countries as well, all from U.S. postal service without one hick-up.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have used USPS a handful of times to ship overseas (mainly to the UK) without any issues. It was pretty quick actually (about a week from California.) I have used UPS once or twice and they seemed to want more paperwork (even when shipping just to Canada.)

Yes, I have taken a look at my collection and the amount of space it takes up and started to trade and sell some of my extras or items I no longer want. I went through a period when I would buy sets because they were a good deal or on clearance somewhere and have found that I have no interest in them later.

I'm pretty much sticking with Star Wars, Technic, Pirate, Castle themes plus some of the other sets like Corner Cafe, etc.

Anyway, sorry for the dissertation and thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have used USPS a handful of times to ship overseas (mainly to the UK) without any issues. It was pretty quick actually (about a week from California.) I have used UPS once or twice and they seemed to want more paperwork (even when shipping just to Canada.)

Yes, I have taken a look at my collection and the amount of space it takes up and started to trade and sell some of my extras or items I no longer want. I went through a period when I would buy sets because they were a good deal or on clearance somewhere and have found that I have no interest in them later.

I'm pretty much sticking with Star Wars, Technic, Pirate, Castle themes plus some of the other sets like Corner Cafe, etc.

Anyway, sorry for the dissertation and thanks for the advice.

I know how that goes. I have exactly the same issue. I have lots of sets, and miscellaneous parts, that I bought because the price was good on 75% off sales etc, and figured I would use them for parts in some MOC in the future, but somehow never did. It's too easy to just click and buy something, and too hard to find the time and state of mind to be able to build somethinh worthwhile.

I look at them now and wonder whether I should sell them, especially my Mindstorms stuff. But so far I have not been able to bring myself to do so. I guess I have to reach more of a crisis point with storage.