Siegfried

Technic 8270 Rough Terrain Crane Review

The new small Technic sets have incredible functionality for their size, and this one is no exception. With only 106 parts this crane can roll, extend, rotate, lift (and hold in any position) and has working stabilisers!

dsc01033e.jpg

The boom extends the same as the other sets with this boom; simply pull it. It works surprisingly well and due to circular ridges inside the boom the extension (which is just a standard beam) will hold in place.

dsc01034e.jpg

The gear at the back controls the height of the boom.

dsc01035e.jpg

As you can see the boom is only half extended.

dsc01036e.jpg

Boom fully extended, half down.

dsc01039e.jpg

The cable is kept in place via two gears and a blue pin, same as the 7905 crane. Even under decent weights this works well.

dsc01041e.jpg

The stabilisers however cannot handle much weight once the load is moved off axis.

dsc01042e.jpg

The stablilsers are a very simple but effective design.

dsc01046e.jpg

Another shot of the stablilsers. This also shows how far the boom will decend.

dsc01044e.jpg

The boom height mechanism works well also. I love the cab design.

Overall this is a remarkable achievement for the low price. I bought it for the boom piece as I want to improve the crane that came with 7998 7898 ( :-$ ). I highly recommend it.

Very nice review Sinner! *y* *wub*

So we are getting more and more reviews with figs in it, that

Really awesome review! I didn't think this set could be that great, but it looks very nice and seems quite cheap. *wub*

A very nice review of a very good little set, thanks Sinner! *y*

Cute.

Do mine eyes deceive me, or is it actually Minifig scale?

Oh no! Look at the small yellow "cabin" - no minifig would ever fit in that! :-)

Other scale ON!

Oh no! Look at the small yellow "cabin" - no minifig would ever fit in that! :-)

Other scale ON!

My bad. I must have been drinking cough syrup. I thought this was some kind of Mini-crane they might use to lift very small bits of steel.

*smack of the head against wall*

Overall this is a remarkable achievement for the low price. I bought it for the boom piece as I want to improve the crane that came with 7998. I highly recommend it.

Great review Sinner! I'll be picking up this set for sure. Probbly a few just for the parts. But one question.

What Crane are you refering to that came with 7998? That is the new heavy loader, and it didn't come with an any crane> 8-

But one question. What Crane are you refering to that came with 7998? That is the new heavy loader, and it didn't come with an any crane> 8-

Recently boght it used with some other sets for parts. Turned out, that it is one of the mostly liked sets for my son. He really likes to play with it. Allready some third day.

On 2/2/2018 at 7:30 AM, Jurss said:

Recently boght it used with some other sets for parts. Turned out, that it is one of the mostly liked sets for my son. He really likes to play with it. Allready some third day.

Jurss, i am sure you know the rulesĀ about how and when reviving old topics is okay, especially for 10+ years topics like this one.
Will lock this.