YellowCorvette

Your expierence with fake lego clones products

I sure everyone at here must be know that many toy companies in chine copied Lego and sell it,right?

For a die-hard Lego fans,of course they won't allow those fale lego parts to ruining they playing expierence with their precious lego sets.

Did you have some experience with fake lego sets for China?And what did you feel with those fake lego parts?

Share it here.

Edited by ArmstrongYong

I bought a couple when I came out of my dark age, the bricks are good for maybe two or three uses then they lose clutch. The rubber bits were melted on some and have had missing pieces on others. Colours and printing were generally bad and dull. I only kept a small pirate set that I want to glue together for a display piece, the rest my son, who is two, gets to play with as I don't mind pieces going missing.

I bought some when i was young. Bad strength, bad colours, bad printing, bad everything. I eventually decided to bend them until they broke when i was mad :classic:

It depends... are you talking about full sets with bricks etc or just figures?

I think you first have to differentiate between a 'clone' brand, i.e. someone that makes a product using a brick system similar to Lego and a company that makes a bootleg or copy of an official Lego set. Isn't Lego actually based from someone else's bricks?

With regards to figures some of them are of equal quality to Lego. Some of them even have more accurate print than their Lego counterpart so as far as minifigures there are companies that produce them on par with their official counterpart.

With regards to bricks I think they're still a little way off. Depending on which company you get the bricks feel a little like some of the older Megabloks used to... very sharp edges with no give making the clutch element a little more difficult. The plastic isn't too far away with some of them and I know people who have build a 7888 Tumbler for around £9 that they say was excellent quality. Personally I totally prefer to build with official Lego... there is a difference in quality that is visible by both sight and touch but bootlegs aren't always the horror story people make out.

Morally they're completely questionable... from a standpoint of copying another try manufacturers product as well as the use of copyrighted material without the use of a license but if you do end up building something by a clone manufacturer your eyes won't bleed, your fingers won't burn and your lungs won't explode from toxins like some people would like you to think.

Isn't "fake clone" like a double negative?

Anyway, I have not bought a set that was a clone of a LEGO set, I've only ever bought things that TLG never made, and so far I've not had a problem with them. They are usually noticeably different, but not always.

I think we are talking about chinese stuff not so much the Megablocks or Tyco which aren't as bad. Moe the Enlighten type stuff. I know there is sone Hero factory type stuff where the logo even looks like the Lego logo. Looks cheap and nasty though.

Enlighten actually aren't a copy brand and do their own stuff... I think you'll mean Sheng Yuan, Decool, Lele, Bela etc as the copy brands that put out copies of Super Heroes, Chima etc.

I find it hard to distinguish bootleg and official Hero Factory etc stuff as I think it all looks a bit cheap and nasty to be honest

Enlighten did seem to have almost exact duplicates of LEGO MOT stuff, but long after MOT went away. Some of these brands also bring stuff to the table that TLG just doesn't or won't, like the Enlighten brown train tracks, the Chinese brands do copy of a lot of LEGO, which I find disappointing, but they also make figures that TLG doesn't... in both cases, both Enlighten and the Chinese "clone" brands are bringing things to the table you wouldn't be able to get otherwise, and I don't accept the "then you should just do without because it's not LEGO" argument.

Fake would be copying the LEGO logo on the bricks and packaging. Made so that the consumer think they're buying real LEGO but not.

Clones are copies and obvious that they are not real branded LEGO. Clones can also fill in themes that LEGO will not touch like military violence or don't have a license for.

Fake clones would be like copying Enlighten sets with their packaging and brand logo and fooling the buyer in thinking he is getting real Enlighten.

I saw first hand (not just online) some Chinese clone brand super hero minifigs and bigfigs including the Fantastic Four and Hulk. I have to admit, that both in their design and production, they seemed pretty good - close or equal to LEGO standard. I don't know if they are as robust as the real thing: whether they will stand up to play. But as display pieces, they appeared OK.

I have some Kre-o parts. I don't care for the design of their minifigs, but their production quality comes close to rivalling LEGO's. I have one of their bigfigs and have to confess that I like it.

I saw clone LOTR sets in Thailand. For a minute I thought about buying a lot of them to get many wargs, but then I felt it was not right. However, I would buy clones if they provide stuff that TLG does not. For example I am thinking about buying some kreo horses, because they are taller.

Fake clones would be like copying Enlighten sets with their packaging and brand logo and fooling the buyer in thinking he is getting real Enlighten.

I laughed pretty hard at this, thanks!

I bought some Kazi about 5 years ago when I first returned from my dark ages. It seemed like a good and thrifty way to add to my collection...until most of the pieces broke after trying a few alt builds with the sets I got. The week I got them.

I realized the texture, color, and clutch of them was terrible, and so I threw them out. I occasionally will still find a few kicking around here and there in my bricks.

On the other hand, I still have quite a lot of old Tyco bricks, which I find in many ways superior to Lego of the same age. They still clutch perfectly, and are noticeably less discolored (the blues and whites particularly) than my 25-year old Lego.

Bootleg/counterfeit vs clone. Two different thing. Bootleg/counterfeit is generally reserved for companies which blatantly copy Lego's look and designs.

Clones are sets which using compatible bricks and are unique. Some chinese companies have copied lego and some have copied Oxford from Korea. Oxford is a quality clone. Good designs, good quality bricks. Very good value on individual sets.

Chinese brands are generally cheap and horrible. There are a couple that aren't bad. Enlighten can be okay, and Star Diamond is reportedly very good. They seem to copy some old Oxford designs and possibly some old Lego designs.

Beyond those, I wouldn't buy anything else for bricks.

Figures

Decool and SY seem fine for figures.

For me,i have buyed some of these "S" brands minifigures when i was in secondary school.Some of the minifigures has similar design compared to TLC minifigures,but the printings are not as been high quality like most of the TLC minifigures. :sceptic:

8PCS-Lot-The-Avengers-font-b-2-b-font-Age-of-Ultron-Iron-Man-Super-Hero.jpg

Have any of you buy these minifigures before?

Edited by ArmstrongYong

There are reams of threads in Community discussing this. I am just so glad that in the years since I joined EB things have gone from instant booing to actual talk.

ArmstrongYong, maybe if you used the search function you could have found another thread instead of creating a duplicate.

There are reams of threads in Community discussing this. I am just so glad that in the years since I joined EB things have gone from instant booing to actual talk.

ArmstrongYong, maybe if you used the search function you could have found another thread instead of creating a duplicate.

I think the best place for discussing figures such as the Iron Man wave is here:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=94997

It's about as comprehensive and up-to-date as you can get with regards to custom/clone/bootleg figures and at 172 pages it's a bit of a read it you're starting from scratch! ;)

Yes,I know that topics like that exists.But this topic is about your own experience with those Lego clones from China.

And,I sorry about the confusing picture.I want to show you that the fake legos I have.

For that,I will posting a new pictures about the fake Lego minifigures I have at next week.

Sorry about the picture that confuses you!

Edited by ArmstrongYong

I've bought a few Enlighten trains. They were pretty good. All original designs, not copies of Lego. Some of the wagons I got actually matched a Lego engine I had perfectly. The bricks were good. The tyres and wheels were not, and the mini figures were no where near as good as Lego. The train wheels were okay, but a little stiff compared to modern Lego. Could be fixed with a few strokes from a file though, just not as good tolerances as Lego.

I was hoping to buy so more a year or so ago, but they'd been discontinued :(

I haven't had much experience with clone brands, short of a few Megabloks sets I got when I was younger. However, I am looking at that Enlighten Frisco Fe train, since I can't afford the $350 for a Santa Fe. However, I may just bricklink it and hope for the best.

I just bought and assembled Spinmaster's - Tenkai Knights - 2-in-1 Volt Jet / Sky Griffin 11001.

(https://www.spinmaster.com/product_detail.php?pid=p10527&bid=cat_ionix)

The overall experience is not that bad. The quality of the bricks is good but a little rough (sharp edges, more difficult to move).

I was impressed by the consistency of the bricks which is something that most Legoâ„¢ competitors fails to replicate.

I do think that this kit misses the point because it is too complicated to handle. My 8 year old kit quickly gave up on delicate manipulation of the minifig as well as the Griffin it self.

I believe that given the right content, this could be a major Legoâ„¢ competition.

Do you agree?

Have you found a commendable Legoâ„¢ opponent?

Boaz.A

post-138062-0-01344900-1436705877_thumb.jpg

I've bought a few Enlighten trains. They were pretty good. All original designs, not copies of Lego.

Really? so this:

Enlighten-633-205pcs-3d-DIY-plastic-building-block-sets-train-series-Mine-Car-eductional-children-bricks.jpg

is not a copy of this:

brickpicker_set_10017-1_4.jpg

Whilst there are quite a few original Enlighten designs, there are many more that are copies of lego. And having bought a few it has to be said that whilst not quite up to lego standards, they are reasonable.

Edited by Heppeng

^^ yes, that's what I was saying about Enlighten, but at the same time, while I don't like companies ripping off actual LEGO sets, the MOTs haven't been available for quite some time, so it never bothered me that Enlighten picked up the mantle and ran with it, including doing a lot of new, original trains.

The only reason I never got any was that, while they had a great price, the shipping was always killer. I could probably get them now from Alibaba with free shipping. I also don't like mixing LEGO with clones, and I have a number of MOT sets.

I just bought and assembled Spinmaster's - Tenkai Knights - 2-in-1 Volt Jet / Sky Griffin 11001.

(https://www.spinmast...7&bid=cat_ionix)

The overall experience is not that bad. The quality of the bricks is good but a little rough (sharp edges, more difficult to move).

I was impressed by the consistency of the bricks which is something that most Legoâ„¢ competitors fails to replicate.

I do think that this kit misses the point because it is too complicated to handle. My 8 year old kit quickly gave up on delicate manipulation of the minifig as well as the Griffin it self.

I believe that given the right content, this could be a major Legoâ„¢ competition.

Do you agree?

Have you found a commendable Legoâ„¢ opponent?

Boaz.A

The set look amazing,but the holes inside the studs detracted the look of the sets itself.

And at the same time,i also found a commendable Lego opponent.Here's a picture i found about the commendable Lego opponent i say.

2015-XSZ-Limited-Edition-Star-Wars-Robot-General-Grievous-Action-Figure-Toys-Minifigures-Building-Blocks-Compatible.jpg_350x350.jpg

This set is been produced by a chinese clone brand called XSZ.This set was based on a rejected Lego ideas/Cuusoo project that make every Lego Star Wars fans crying inside.

Here's the rejected Lego Ideas/Cuusoo project i talking about.

General-Grievous_2.jpg

Edited by ArmstrongYong

The set look amazing,but the holes inside the studs detracted the look of the sets itself.

And at the same time,i also found a commendable Lego opponent.Here's a picture i found about the commendable Lego opponent i say.

This set is been produced by a chinese clone brand called XSZ.This set was based on a rejected Lego ideas/Cuusoo project that make every Lego Star Wars fans crying inside.

Here's the rejected Lego Ideas/Cuusoo project i talking about.

*Snip*

This set has been reviewed by another member who commented on some of the elements in particular and the fact that Lego don't make them in that particular colour.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=109166&hl=%2Bgeneral+%2Bgrievous

Edited by Robianco