Sign in to follow this  
The Middleman

PHOTO REVIEWS: Dino Attack (7475/7477)

UPDATE: I WILL BE MERGING REVIEWS AS THEY GO IDLE, THIS IS NOW THE DINO ATTACK REVIEW THREAD

"What, Jay's not doing Viking reviews!?"

Nope, I think Christopher110 took care of those just fine. Instead, I have brought you what is most possibly the HIGHEST-ANTICIPATED set of the year (;) :D) - the T1 Typhoon. And I gotta say - Dinos apart, it's actually really cool.

102_0205.jpg

The Dinos

Let's get the worst over with.

102_0206.jpg

102_0207.jpg

Yes. Those are ALL the parts in that 'dino'.

102_0213.jpg

102_0214.jpg

102_0215.jpg

The Figs

They're possibly the best part of the entire set, all in all.

102_0208.jpg

Nice new head, although the glasses limit its usability.

102_0209.jpg

I am in LOVE with the head on that fig. It's perfect for any number of figures - a good 'scarred hero' face has always been on my want list. I'm turning him into my Viking warlord after I post this review.

102_0210.jpg

Again, a new head. Great stubbly beard thing going on.

102_0211.jpg

My second-favorite head of the lot. Great for warriors, especially with helms.

The torsos are fantastic for special forces figures, if anyone's planning to do something like that. Not TOO fond of the lime green on there, but it's still extremely usable.

102_0212.jpg

This is actually a really cool machine gun. I like it. I think this would be a good point to note that ALL designs you see - outside the figures and dinos - are stickers. That means a crapload of stickers. If you can't stand stickers at all in a set, don't buy this.

The Copter

102_0216.jpg

This is one BIGASS copter. The photos really don't do the size justice.

102_0217.jpg

Lower cockpit with cool computer. Too bad it's a sticker, although I'll definitely leave this one on.

102_0218.jpg

Upper cockpit with cool computer. See above.

102_0219.jpg

Awesome gatling gun. Yes, even the TECHNIC BEAMS have stickers.

102_0220.jpg

I'm actually really fond of that little canister thing. I can see using it elsewhere.

102_0221.jpg

Yes - that's a sticker.

102_0222.jpg

The rope and hook. I forgot to mention it before, this set comes with two accessories besides the machine gun - binocs and one of those little things to slide down the rope. Also, the thing that 'extends' the rope turns.

102_0223.jpg

The other side, because they're slightly asymmetrical.

102_0224.jpg

One of my favorite stickers. The door says 'SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT'. It's on both sides. Definitely a keeper.

102_0225.jpg

The base of the propeller. It wobbles a bit, but doesn't fall off. Very sturdy.

102_0226.jpg

Right side of the rear propeller.

102_0228.jpg

And the left (and better) side.

102_0227.jpg

The tail. It uses construction similar to the X-wing's nose, but on a larger scale. Definitely cool.

102_0229.jpg

A very neat part of the copter. The guns are constructed so that...

102_0230.jpg

... they turn without turning the cockpit.

102_0231.jpg

The interior is rather blase, though.

102_0232_r1.jpg

Another of my favorite parts - landing gear. This is the front section.

102_0236_r1.jpg

... and it retracts! Unlike most ships with landing gear, this does NOT retract without effort (coughXWINGcough). Very sleek.

102_0238_r1.jpg

The back landing gear.

102_0239.jpg

... and again, smooth retraction. Gotta love it.

FINAL SCORE: 8.4/10

Parts: 8/10

Figs: 10/10

Dinos: 2/10

Copter: 9/10

Value: 7/10

Don't Buy If:

- you can wait for Vikings

- you don't like any set with stickers

- you're not a space fan

Buy If:

- you're a space fan

- you don't mind stickers/don't apply them

- you're like to create cool figures

Overall, I think it was worth the price, even at 605 pieces. However, I'd suggest buying Vikings even considering this.

Well, hope this review (unexpected as it was ;-)) helped someone out there.

Until next time,

Bloody Jay

As unexpected as it was, this was very helpful! ;) Three questions, though:

1. Is the front green rubber missle a traditional launchable missle, or does it have another firing mechanism?

2. Concerning the guns on the side, are they fixed in one postition, or does it have any functions?

3. Why did you decide to buy this set? (Just curious!)

As unexpected as it was, this was very helpful! ;) Two questions, though:

1. Is the front green rubber missle a traditional launchable missle, or does it have another firing mechanism?

2. Concerning the guns on the side, are they fixed in one postition, or does it have any functions?

3. Why did you decide to buy this set? (Just curious!)

1. Oh, I overlooked that, didn't I! In response, it's an upside-down launcher, so the switch is on the underside. So no, no special mechanism.

2. The gatling guns can be raised, but not turned.

3. I found it in Toys R Us, and was after a few of the figs, but after seeing the box up close and personal, decided 'what the heck! It's a good break from Vikings!' :-D

Great Review Jay !!!!! Tks a lot ;)

I am not that of the big fan of the copter due to its proportions - but I admit its really asome looking, better as I expected :oD

The best are those MFs !!!!!! They are truly awsome !!!!!!! I wiil but some of the smaller sets just for the figs hehe (too bad that my favorite - your second best - don't come in the smallers sets :'( ).

Are you going to review the other sets as well ??? That could be cool !!!!!

Thanks, Bloody_Jay. Another brilliant review.

I really like the helicopter. Though I hate the stickers (it seem like there are a lot of it), it won't stop me from buying it.

Too bad that when will the Dino line arrive in Singapore. . . :'( Guess I've have to wait for the meanwhile.

That looks like a really great set, although I don't think I'd have anywhere to put it. I don't think I'll ever be able to get the set anyway, since it doesn't come out over here.

That looks like a really great set, although I don't think I'd have anywhere to put it. I don't think I'll ever be able to get the set anyway, since it doesn't come out over here.

sam, missing your point. The set _should_ come to Europe, as 7298, but without guns (large crate instead).

Hmmmm . . . . interesting. It's a shame though, because I really like the guns. Any idea when it should come to Europe?

EDIT: I've just scene the Official DINO Attack site, which says they're coming to Europe in October.

Wow, great review, for a great set. Thanks Jay. I really like it, although to big for my city. :(

I too really like the MFs. Because of your review, I am definitely considering it.

Thanks again,

LegoBmw.

That's interesting news about the European release. I'd definitely be interested to see how they modify the set - chains, ropes, and crates are definitely useful pieces. Can't wait for pictures.

To everyone looking for just the figures - don't skip out and get the smaller set and the tank. Spend the extra $20 and get the T1. It's well worth it.

I might pick up the Steel Sprinter and the Fire Hammer myself, still trying to decide. If I do, I'll review them.

I guess we'll have to wait for the photos! Officially announced by LEGO, the Dino Attack line is going to be made available in Europe in October 2005...

EDIT: Check out the official Dino Attack site here!

102_0242.jpg

Yeah, I picked up another one. I really liked the chopper!

Let's cut straight to the chase.

Dinos:

First the worst, of course.

102_0250.jpg

These things are so horrible, they don't deserve more than one photo. They're rubbery, one piece, and the only things that remotely indicate that they're made by LEGO are the holes on the bottom of their feet. They're unrealistic to an extreme unmatched by even the previously reviewed Dinos, in that they are waaaaaaaay too thin, one is pink, and they're all grinning.

Fig:

102_0254.jpg

One interesting thing to note is that this one has the same torso as the iron-masked dude in the chopper, not his own bare-arms torso.

102_0257.jpg

Pic for the sake of comparison. Now, I don't consider this fig as good as the others because the other heads are useful for Vikings and assorted castle-type people, but this has sunglasses. All in all, you'll probably find it useful, but I don't. Still, great torso for special ops stuff.

Hummer:

102_0246.jpg

Those headlights - while stickers (yes, all prints are again stickers, although there are much less than the chopper) - are great pieces. I can see using them as furnace covers or stove burners.

102_0245.jpg

The windshield/hood area. Not much to say about this one.

102_0249.jpg

Driver's side. My question? When this is brought to Europe, will the steering wheel switch sides? ;) Seriously though, I love that little steering wheel piece more than I love taffy. And I'm a man who enjoys his taffy.

102_0251.jpg

Left side in its entirety.

102_0247.jpg

... and the right side.

102_0248.jpg

View through the right side - no seat here. Could've done with another fig to fill the nonexistant seat, as well.

102_0252.jpg

The... weapon. Whatever it's called. This uses the same mechanism as the longboat (for those that don't have either, you snap the little sports stand thing, which hits the 'missile', which fires, and since there's nothing holding the technic beam up to that height any more, it drops down so that the next missile drops into place. Pretty cool, if unrealistic.). The two on the side do NOT fire, I think they're mainly there for 'extra ammo'.

102_0253_r1.jpg

My biggest problem with this set. Open bed. This could have easily been remedied with a few plates.

102_0255_r1.jpg

Interior opened.

102_0256.jpg

The Fire Hammer next to the T1. They look very cool together, don't they? You can also see my curio shelf.

FINAL SCORE: 7.4/10

Dinos: 1/10

Fig: 8/10 (but that's just me)

Hummer: 8.5/10

Parts: 9/10

I'm a harsh reviewer. I still think that if space/vehicles are your thing, you should buy this. However, if you're a bigger castle fan, or just like to get all sorts of LEGO, I would still suggest buying the Viking Catapult before this. However, I do think that these are some of the coolest sets of 2005. This is something you will eventually want to get.

Until next time,

Bloody Jay

Thanks Bloody Jay! Any chance you could be reviewing the other Dino Attack sets?

Possibly the Steel Sprinter and Urban Avenger, but I can say with finality that I will NOT buy the tank until I find it available for $30 or less. On that note, if anybody DOES find it for $30 or less, shoot me a PM. ;)

Sorry for the double post, but I just had another question in mind:

How long/high/wide is this "badass" copter? (including rotors). I have heard of as long as 25 inches for the length, but is this true or is it just an exaggeration?

Sorry for the double post, but I just had another question in mind:

How long/high/wide is this "badass" copter? (including rotors). Have have heard of as long as 25 inches for the length, but is this true or is it just an exaggeration?

25" long, and the rotors are 10" long each (making it 20" wide). Hope that helps!