Hi guys,

Could somebody please tell me which 3d software i can use to create my own custom base plates and then export it as an LXF or LDR file, which can then be imported into the LDD for me to use.

Could somebody please tell me which 3d software i can use to create my own custom base plates and then export it as an LXF or LDR file, which can then be imported into the LDD for me to use.

LDD software related questions belong in this forum, Digital Designer.

Hi guys,

This is a great idea, but unfortunately, it's not that simple. All bricks in LDD are made up of two components, the XML that determines it's mesh, connectivity and bounding box and the .g, or gCode, that stores the 3D data. The only individuals with the capability to create the .g files are the good folks on the LDD team. There are plenty of CAD programs used to create .g files for 3D printers, but none of them are compatible with LDD.

More importantly though, to even gain access to those files, you'll have to hack the main .lif file for LDD, which breaks the End User License Agreement, which is illegal.

Hope this answers your question.

Edited by kangmingjie

Hi guys,

Sorry, that is not possible - THERE IS NO KNOWN WAY HOW TO IMPORT ANYTHING THAT IS NOT ALREADY IN LDD INVENTORY INTO LDD, so all other explanations above that says it can be done are simply not true, period.

The only possible way is only during rendering in external program...

Edited by bublible

Depending on what kind of baseplate you need creating one for LDraw might be very easy as the format works with subparts and primitives. If you want some odd shaped thing you might need to use something like blender first and convert it to LDraw as a subpart and then combine it with the more normal LEGO shapes into a new part later. Or you might try the specific LDraw part editor (findable here: http://forums.ldraw.org/list.php?24) but it isn't beginners stuff though :)

MLCad from the LDraw family has a Baseplate Generator: Extras -> Generators -> Baseplates

Generates 2D Baseplate with the dimensions you want and of course studs,

See LDraw.org for the SW.

Re LDD I can't help

Depending on what kind of baseplate you need creating one for LDraw might be very easy as the format works with subparts and primitives. If you want some odd shaped thing you might need to use something like blender first and convert it to LDraw as a subpart and then combine it with the more normal LEGO shapes into a new part later. Or you might try the specific LDraw part editor (findable here: http://forums.ldraw.org/list.php?24) but it isn't beginners stuff though :)

MLCad from the LDraw family has a Baseplate Generator: Extras -> Generators -> Baseplates

Generates 2D Baseplate with the dimensions you want and of course studs,

See LDraw.org for the SW.

Re LDD I can't help

Guys read what he really wants, both your suggestions are not that: he wants to use it IN LDD, which is not possible...

Edited by bublible

Guys read what he really wants, both your suggestions are not that: he wants to use it IN LDD, which is not possible...

Well, that's what I actually did. deeps831 wants:

a) a custom part (as he puts it a "base plate")

b) use this part in LDD

regarding a) there were some answers how to do that in a non-native format of LDD

regarding b) I may quote myself:

Re LDD I can't help

and kangminjie answered the LDD part pretty extensively

Well, that's what I actually did. deeps831 wants:

a) a custom part (as he puts it a "base plate")

b) use this part in LDD

regarding a) there were some answers how to do that in a non-native format of LDD

regarding b) I may quote myself:

and kangminjie answered the LDD part pretty extensively

I just do not understand how it is of any help for him when in the end there is no option to use it inside LDD (as he wants that in the first place)???

Edited by bublible