frebbyl

LEGO City Problems/Rant

I have a problem with LEGO City sets. There aren't many buildings, and what are cities made of?? Well this one must be made of trucks, cars, cops, and robbers. WE NEED MORE BUILDINGS! :angry: The Creator line has more than City! *oh2**huh* If you have any comments or ideas or any other problems similar to this, be sure to reply!

I have a problem with LEGO City sets. There aren't many buildings, and what are cities made of?? Well this one must be made of trucks, cars, cops, and robbers. WE NEED MORE BUILDINGS! :angry: The Creator line has more than City! *oh2**huh* If you have any comments or ideas or any other problems similar to this, be sure to reply!

Okay, you're new here and we have been saying this for years.....hence why we MOC build our shops, offices, warehouses, blocks of flats, etc.,.

Lego City designers have blinkers on and think that the fan base of city sets last only two or three years. That would explain why so many cop shops and fire stations......plus a new train station every four years.

And what keeps you from putting some creator houses in your city? They're minifig scale too.

And what keeps you from putting some creator houses in your city? They're minifig scale too.

Spot on 'alois', I have the latest bike shop and cafe set to join my layout when it comes time to display......plus the rumor of a toy & grocery shops set for next year so maybe it's the creator designers who have heard our cries for help ?

I do agree with you. But custom building is the key.

WE NEED MORE BUILDINGS!

Really? Maybe you don't refer to modular or CC buildings? When I look at those nice town layouts on a convention or the EB Town Layout Index I don't have the impression that there's a lack of buildings. Not at all. Even when only using the CC or modular buildings and some road plates you may build a small but good-looking town layout. Add some (maybe slightly modded and enlarged) Creator buildings, and everything's fine.

My impression is that there isn't a lack of buildings but a lack of vehicles that go well with the buildings. When you take a closer look to some of those cities you'll see lots of trucks (which look okay in city scale) but only a few passenger cars (which often don't look very realistic).

Really? Maybe you don't refer to modular or CC buildings? When I look at those nice town layouts on a convention or the EB Town Layout Index I don't have the impression that there's a lack of buildings. Not at all. Even when only using the CC or modular buildings and some road plates you may build a small but good-looking town layout. Add some (maybe slightly modded and enlarged) Creator buildings, and everything's fine.

My impression is that there isn't a lack of buildings but a lack of vehicles that go well with the buildings. When you take a closer look to some of those cities you'll see lots of trucks (which look okay in city scale) but only a few passenger cars (which often don't look very realistic).

Well when put that way, I feel untouched. I can't afford the modular buildings!

Exactly. I think that was the original idea for the great vehicle line, but it turned into the same vehicles over and over, except a few sets, like the snowplow coming out in the winter, and, that's actually all I could think of from what I remember.

There are still Creator and Friends that have the houses and shops that fits into the sitytheme.

It depends on which kind of buildings you want in your town/city. Most AFOLs go for the modular buildings, of which a new building is launched every year. The creator houses come in a rate of one to three per year. But the classic, open-back town/city house (when not counting the fire and police stations), they are not seen often. But there are still some buildings, though some of them might require a bit of MOD'ing, or they can deliver some useful bricks for MOC'ing:

60048 Police Dog Unit

60050 Train Station contains a snack bar and a LEGO store :classic:

60003 Fire Emergency can be turned into a small shop

60008 Museum Break-In

60009 Helicopter Arrest this could easily be MOD'ed into a garage

60026 Town Square a must have, if you want an open-back town

60031 City Corner also a must have (limited re-release of 7641

And those are just the set released in 2013 and 2014. - I am actually quite surprised about the number of buildings. And I have never thought about turning the 60009 into a garage. Now I have to put it on my wishlist :sweet:

As Lightningtiger says, you can also buy the 31026 Bike Shop & Cafe. It can easily be MOD'ed into open-back buildings. I guess you can even get three buildings out of it.

Why is it wrong to ask fo "City" buildings? Everyone has the "build your own" answer to the question. Why should kids be made tobuild their own? Then why sell kits? Why not just sell buckets of pieces and be like "here, build your own city"? To me, the Creator and Modules are not scaled right compared to "City" buildings. Plus you have all these vehicles with nowhere to go. Do vehicles just drive around all of the time? Why sell a race car when there is no track or other like cars to race?

Why is it wrong to ask fo "City" buildings? Everyone has the "build your own" answer to the question.

+1

snobbery i guess

Why is it wrong to ask fo "City" buildings? Everyone has the "build your own" answer to the question. Why should kids be made tobuild their own? Then why sell kits? Why not just sell buckets of pieces and be like "here, build your own city"? To me, the Creator and Modules are not scaled right compared to "City" buildings. Plus you have all these vehicles with nowhere to go. Do vehicles just drive around all of the time? Why sell a race car when there is no track or other like cars to race?

To make Lego scale to each of it's sets you have to mod them, sure it sucks if you don't have the bricks or hate modding, but it's fun once you get into it. Go get a good pick a brick tub or two for some good bricks and get modding if you want the smaller city sets to mix with the modulers or just match each other. If you want city sets that match, look into the different themes. Friends sets are amazing for Lego City. I love the two sets I got recently, the Cake and Juice shops. One is now modded, the other isn't far behind. I own no modulars, but I have built my own so I want them to be larger to mix with them.

The thing is though, Lego isn't designed for adults. We have our lines, the city, friends etc are designed for kids. Kids don't need everything to match or to have cars with somewhere to go. I didn't as a little kid. I had a big bucket of cars as a kid and played with them for hours, the bigger cars that dwarfed everything else were my favourites even though they didn't match. I had Polly Pockets, I had the cased ones and the house ones and it didn't bother me that they were designed differently, they still played the same. Then there where the random Power Rangers and Mighty Max micro playsets that joined them, one set that didn't go with them. I made it work because kids have a good imagination.

Modular buildings seem to be expensive. In fact, they aren't. The price per piece ratio of the modular sets is among the best you can get, even at a regular price. And you get lots of great parts to build smaller buildings if that's what you're aiming at.

Why should kids be made tobuild their own? Then why sell kits? Why not just sell buckets of pieces and be like "here, build your own city"? To me, the Creator and Modules are not scaled right compared to "City" buildings. Plus you have all these vehicles with nowhere to go. Do vehicles just drive around all of the time? Why sell a race car when there is no track or other like cars to race?

As Zanki said, the regular City sets are made for children, the modulars are rather made for AFOLs. That's why they are discussed extensively here. Regarding the scale there is no "right" or "wrong" - we may choose the scale that fits our needs.

Kids don't need everything to match or to have cars with somewhere to go. I didn't as a little kid. I had a big bucket of cars as a kid and played with them for hours, the bigger cars that dwarfed everything else were my favourites even though they didn't match. I had Polly Pockets, I had the cased ones and the house ones and it didn't bother me that they were designed differently, they still played the same. Then there where the random Power Rangers and Mighty Max micro playsets that joined them, one set that didn't go with them. I made it work because kids have a good imagination.

I agree with everything, but regarding the cars I have the impression it's rather the opposite: The kids have vehicles that go well with their Town stuff - but we as AFOLs don't get cars that go well with the modulars - which is not only a question of scale but of style, of complexity and last not least of "building experience". Being a car builder myself I have no problem with that but I'm often struck when I see the finest self-designed modular buildings combined with regular Town vehicles.

To those who want "more buildings" - I'd love to hear some suggestions of what type of buildings, specifically, you'd like to see. Below are a couple sub-themes I'd really enjoy seeing Lego produce something for every year or two:

1. "Industrial". A factory / manufacturing plant / etc of some time. Good ole blue collar jobs for all our minifigs.

2. "Public Works". Lego does some "light" public utility types (a repair truck, etc), but something like a power plant, water treatment, etc would be great.

3. "Shops". Bike shops and restaurants seem abundant - but a hardware store is a common MOC that Lego just hasn't picked up yet. Similarly, the Green Grocer seems the only food market. And the Grand Emporium the only "general clothing". Would love to see a few more, somewhat routinely, along these lines.

4. "Wildnessness". Every City has plenty of green spaces, and landscaping is a marvelously enjoyable MOC. But it'd be great to see a Lego "landscaping bucket of bricks" or even a set ('camping' perhaps?).

Overall, I'm inclined towards the "build your own" camp. MOC's are the pinnacle of AFOL hobbyists, in my humble opinion. But I can respect the criticism of Lego's limited types of buildings offered - and would enjoying hearing more specifics on the types of buildings desired.

It would be nice if City had more of a variety buildings wise, but they don't. You could build your own, but if you don't want to Creator has many houses that aren't that expensive. This year they even made a set of shops, and it is rumored that they will have more shops next year. If you have a larger Lego budget you could get the Modular Buildings, they are a good deal but still expensive.

I'm kind of tired of the "made for kids" excuse. Does anyone know how many adults buy Lego? Like what % of market they make up? To me LEGO is getting stale and boring. Especially with so many themes aimed at children. Sure, LEGO probably is for kids, but a kid probably buys 1 or 2 cheap sets where as an adult buys 3-5 moderately priced to expensive sets. I just think LEGO needs to take a better look at their market. They're LEGO for crying out loud. I find it hard to believe that all they can come up with is the same old boring cops/robbers theme. More buildings is most def what we need. How about micro apartments? Small but fully sized houses? Some Hot Rods? Old fashioned gas stations? Motorcycle shop? (a cool one a la 70s biker). How about a small radio station out in the desert? That would be an awesome/fun little build. Maybe LEGO just isn't for me. Maybe I should find another more adult friendly hobby. Sigh.

For what its worth though I believe the new small cottage/hut theme in the Creator line is a step in the right direction. Also loving the dual shop theme. Def excited to see 2015s hut and dual shops.

By the way I'm also not saying LEGO is a childlike hobby, I'm 23 and love LEGO. Just wish could see more adult oriented themes/sub themes.

Funny that this wasn't added to this list ?

10184-1.jpg

No city collection is compete with out this one !

Perhaps we should start a petition to push Lego for more civilian buildings, it's been 6/7 years since the last gas station (not including 2012 parking garage), almost thirty years since a post office (minus the winter one), two banks in 30 years.....wow, no shops really at all in the same time bar about four in the same time period.

Time the fire fighters and cops had something to protect right ?

There are a lot of AFOLs but there interests are fragmented. Some only do Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. Others like myself cross themes but I am completely satisfied with modular and MOCing in the modular style.

To me, MOCing is the most fulfilling part of this hobby even if it goes slower than I like. If none of the sets satisfy and you don't want to MOC, them another hobby might suit you more. I thought about model trains but I would tire of the scenery too quick. With LEGO I can repurpose the brick quickly.

I'm kind of tired of the "made for kids" excuse. Does anyone know how many adults buy Lego? Like what % of market they make up? To me LEGO is getting stale and boring. Especially with so many themes aimed at children. Sure, LEGO probably is for kids, but a kid probably buys 1 or 2 cheap sets where as an adult buys 3-5 moderately priced to expensive sets. I just think LEGO needs to take a better look at their market.

I do agree with you that Lego needs to re-analyze their target audience. The real reason I believe they are seeing a huge rise in profits is from the fact that adults are the ones buying Lego sets. I buy lots of Lego for myself. Kids are their primary audience but they are expanding the types of sets produced such as more UCS sets, etc. I think Lego would benefit from a content change in Lego City sets. I've read some pretty cool ideas that I would like to see.

I know it's hard to predict what will sell well and what won't but variety is good. I loved the miners sub theme and the forest police. I think most of us, including MOCers, would like to see a building or two as official sets, preferably without a missing a half. Just wish more of the ideas I read about would be on lego ideas instead of licensed products that I don't care for.

There are a lot of AFOLs but there interests are fragmented. Some only do Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. Others like myself cross themes but I am completely satisfied with modular and MOCing in the modular style.

To me, MOCing is the most fulfilling part of this hobby even if it goes slower than I like. If none of the sets satisfy and you don't want to MOC, them another hobby might suit you more. I thought about model trains but I would tire of the scenery too quick. With LEGO I can repurpose the brick quickly.

Thank you for the feedback. I do enjoy miniatures however LEGO always pulls me back in. Something about them that I just love. Maybe it's the kid in me.

I do agree with you that Lego needs to re-analyze their target audience. The real reason I believe they are seeing a huge rise in profits is from the fact that adults are the ones buying Lego sets. I buy lots of Lego for myself. Kids are their primary audience but they are expanding the types of sets produced such as more UCS sets, etc. I think Lego would benefit from a content change in Lego City sets. I've read some pretty cool ideas that I would like to see.

I know it's hard to predict what will sell well and what won't but variety is good. I loved the miners sub theme and the forest police. I think most of us, including MOCers, would like to see a building or two as official sets, preferably without a missing a half. Just wish more of the ideas I read about would be on lego ideas instead of licensed products that I don't care for.

I would love to see a 1930s theme/line or even a prospector/gold rush theme. Would be really exciting. I agree with everything you have said.