Sign in to follow this  
caperberry

Alien Muthaship

Had some fun last week as I bought an extra two Alien Motherships and modified them (along with Tripod Invader, Fangpyre Mech and other parts) to create this:

7063961307_de69748140.jpg7063961083_551b7e69f0.jpg

My favourite bit are these floating Clingers with tongues!

7063962481_85fafb541b.jpg

They are securely attached, thanks to upside down spiders.

Breakdown on my Flickr, along with more close-up model pics.

Really good to see a proper mothership. I have been working on a bigger one myself and will post when it is done. I always felt that the official set was not mothershipy enough as it could not connect to the others which seemed to me to be a thing that was a requirement for being called a mothership.

Anyway, yours is really nice. Have you included lots of sound and light bricks?

Really good to see a proper mothership. I have been working on a bigger one myself and will post when it is done. I always felt that the official set was not mothershipy enough as it could not connect to the others which seemed to me to be a thing that was a requirement for being called a mothership.

Anyway, yours is really nice. Have you included lots of sound and light bricks?

Thanks! Can't wait to see yours. I wanted to add some more sound bricks but left that to last (I was working by amending the original Mothership rather than starting from scratch) and after 3 days of building I felt enough was enough, it was only meant to be a bit of fun!

So your mothership will be modular with other ships? Cool idea!

To me this embodies what MOCing is all about, having great fun with your lego and filling in gaps in what Lego releases on the market. This set really adds to the playability of the AC theme!

Now that's one alien mothership 'caperberry', great work combining all those sets into that. :thumbup:

Brick On 'caperberry' while fighting off aliens. :grin:

I love it! I was just having this discussion with another AFOL. This set is on clearance in a lot of places and has some nice pieces in it including the ring. Glad to see someone else being creative with the rings. :thumbup:

Thanks! Can't wait to see yours. I wanted to add some more sound bricks but left that to last (I was working by amending the original Mothership rather than starting from scratch) and after 3 days of building I felt enough was enough, it was only meant to be a bit of fun!

So your mothership will be modular with other ships? Cool idea!

Yes, at least it has a central hub with control area, a docking ring that attaches to the bottom of the original mothership (Made from those same round bricks.) and then a corridor from eeither side of the central hub that each lead to two identical drop ships that have saucer fronts and a cabin at the rear for alien troops to deploy from. As the bits are modular I reckon I could add more corriodr sections to enable other things like a small hanger bay for the little craft, at least that is my long term plan.

To me this embodies what MOCing is all about, having great fun with your lego and filling in gaps in what Lego releases on the market. This set really adds to the playability of the AC theme!

Thanks so much hewman! I hadn't thought of gaps in the market, but indeed I was out to have some fun. My recent micro build was intense work!! Needed a 'break'. It was great to get back to a build with little clear purpose and see where the bricks took me!

Now that's one alien mothership 'caperberry', great work combining all those sets into that. :thumbup:

Brick On 'caperberry' while fighting off aliens. :grin:

Actually, I'm on their side! I just remembered it also contains some Friends City Park Cafe pieces too default_blush.gif

Great! This is so big you could have a monorail train riding on the rings.

I originally had visions of the 'ring' being even larger, by adding a semicircle at each connection point. So I ordered 3 extra sets from Play but they sent 2 and a PotC Whitecap Bay!! Seeing as that set is worth twice as much, I didn't pick them up on their error default_devg1.gif

I love it! I was just having this discussion with another AFOL. This set is on clearance in a lot of places and has some nice pieces in it including the ring. Glad to see someone else being creative with the rings. :thumbup:

Maybe a Mothership contest should be next! default_laugh_new.gifYes, I'm seeing a lot of sales on this too. Just as well - I still want one more! I love all the curved pieces and slopes and those trans light blue 1x4 tiles.

Yes, at least it has a central hub with control area, a docking ring that attaches to the bottom of the original mothership (Made from those same round bricks.) and then a corridor from eeither side of the central hub that each lead to two identical drop ships that have saucer fronts and a cabin at the rear for alien troops to deploy from. As the bits are modular I reckon I could add more corriodr sections to enable other things like a small hanger bay for the little craft, at least that is my long term plan.

This sounds freaking awesome. Really looking forward to it, please do me a favour and PM me when you post it just in case I miss it.

That is awesome! And huge! Way to take advantage of the clearance aisle. :tongue: The alien overlord looks extremely fitting in that protective dome in the center with his tiny minions below.

Awesome! Now this is what the original should've been :tongue:

BTW, how stable is this? It looks like it's about to snap any second.

The alien overlord looks extremely fitting in that protective dome in the center with his tiny minions below.

Thanks!! Did you see my closeups of him and said minions?

BTW, how stable is this? It looks like it's about to snap any second.

Wellll, I wouldn't give it to a child default_blush.gif The track & connecting plates bend a bit scarily when you lift it, but you can still spin it, as with the original. I've done this several times now. The Clingers are extremely stable, and the 'floating' ring in the centre is stable enough to move the model around fine, but I wouldn't turn it upside down.

I don't like putting strain on pieces so I will break up the track section soon - plus I need my table back.

That is one intimidating ship! :oh: Must be a pain to move around. :laugh: Nice Job! :thumbup:

At first glance I did a bit of a groan - cause it was so absurd what you did. Then I started laughing at how absurd it is.

:laugh:

The more I looked the louder I laughed... really great job.

You really did take the Alien line to the next fun-level.

and the tongue with the headsuckers - awesome.

really great moc. I thoroughly enjoyed it ! :thumbup:

COUGH - build finished. I'll show you Friday

:laugh::devil:

Must be a pain to move around. :laugh:

Actually it's quite easy; as I was working by modifying the original, I kept the whole Technic core with the handle. (sticking out the back in the first pic - I used the trans clear Technic from Podracers.) The rings sag very scarily of course, so I keep my joyous spinning moments brief!!

At first glance I did a bit of a groan - cause it was so absurd what you did. Then I started laughing at how absurd it is.

:laugh:

The more I looked the louder I laughed... really great job.

You really did take the Alien line to the next fun-level.

and the tongue with the headsuckers - awesome.

I'm so happy - that's exactly the response I hoped for! Of the non-licensed kids' themes, AC is my favourite because of its humour. That whole B-movie Mars Attacks vibe is right up my street. The Earth Defense sets have no interest for me, I'm just in love with the aliens and the clingers and their kooky UFOs.

So glad you enjoyed the tongues!

Edited by caperberry

Wow this truely is fantastic. (dont you think the clingers may fall off when travelling at lightspeed? :look: )

Nup - my attachment method can withstand lightspeed pressure default_blink.gif but I guess they might asphyxiate!