LEGO Train 12 Volts

MOC: BR84-009

Hi everyone,

during last months I have been working on a new project: the BR 84-009

br84-009-001.jpg

This new steam locomotive (8 studs wide) has a new original pistons movement and as my previous BR 94-1292 has a single long frame of 10 wheels.

br84-009-054.jpg

This locomotive under the hood has a 9 volt battery to light up the two front lights and red rear lights; the switch is in the back masked by coal.

br84-009-047.jpg

br84-009-043.jpg

br84-009-044.jpg

br84-009-064.jpg

br84-009-067.jpg

br84-009-063.jpg

The real challenge with this new BR was to create a propulsion system powered by my usual cabose locomotive that would allow a synchronized speed between both of them (BR and caboose).

br23-034.jpg

I have to thank once again Teddy :classic: for giving me the idea of regearing the transmission between the PF medium motor with large wheels and the RC standard train motor equipped with small train wheels.

Before continuing I’d like to share a little bit of theory:

You can find the rpm of each lego motor here: lego 9v compared characteristics than you have to know the perimeter of the wheels (ex: 9v train motor rpm x diameter x PI 3,14) so you can find the distance covered by your train in one minute.

Theoretically a standard train motor 9v (only the motor with four classic wheels and no other weight) cover 110 meter in one minute: 2000(rpm)x 1,76(cm. wheel diameter)x3,14(PI)=110,52m.

Now if you want to cover the same distance with a PF medium motor with the new lego large train wheels you have to regearing, because this combinantion cover 38 meter in one minute: 405(rpm of medium pf motor)x 3,00 (cm. large wheel diameter)x3,14(PI)=38,15m.

You can use, for example, a 24 tooth gear as pinion and a 8 tooth gear as crown wheel: 405(rpm of medium pf motor)x 3,00 (cm. large wheel diameter)x3,14(PI)x24(tooth gear)/8(tooth gear)=114,45m.

My original idea to avoid any difference in speed (after regearing) between the two locomotives is a clutch system.

br84-009-040.jpg

br84-009-045.jpg

br84-009-046.jpg

To respect the original aspect ratio hiding battery, motor and clutch gear I’ve used a useful SNOT technique.

br84-009-030.jpg

br84-009-071.jpg

br84-009-036.jpg

br84-009-039.jpg

br84-009-038.jpg

Thanks in advance to Toastie :classic: if he would publish my instructions on railbricks.

Enjoy the show! :wink:

br84-009-050.jpg

br84-009-055.jpg

br84-009-024.jpg

br84-009-065.jpg

br84-009-075.jpg

br84-009-077.jpg

Merry Christmas to all :laugh:

Edited by LEGO Train 12 Volts

Wow, what a nice MOC! :thumbup: It is good to see the Lego Technic Clutch Gear used so effectively in this locomotive.

I really love your piston design, I'll be trying to adapt it for my German steam trains from now on :-)

very nice, and you did it the proper way (engineering: design first, then act). b.t.w. did you put all LEDs in series? I would also put some tape or shrink tube around the anodes or cathodes to avoid shorts.

I also really like the ladder at the back!

Buon Natale for you LEGO Train 12 Volts

My compliments, this is a great model, enviable

Sincerely, Udo

Hi LEGO Train 12 Volts,

this is one beautiful locomotive!

love the fact you used the re-gearing method to get a more natural movement in the locomotive drive train (like the slipping of wheels at the start :laugh: ) while maintaining speed and pulling power. :thumbup:

Now I'm just going to enjoy the pictures and hope for an action movie to pop up on youtube. :wink:

Kind regards,

Teddy

very nice, and you did it the proper way (engineering: design first, then act). b.t.w. did you put all LEDs in series? I would also put some tape or shrink tube around the anodes or cathodes to avoid shorts.

I also really like the ladder at the back!

Yes the LEDs are all in series, this is the easiest way to make connections with a single circular circuit :classic:

Hi LEGO Train 12 Volts,

this is one beautiful locomotive!

love the fact you used the re-gearing method to get a more natural movement in the locomotive drive train (like the slipping of wheels at the start :laugh: ) while maintaining speed and pulling power. :thumbup:

Now I'm just going to enjoy the pictures and hope for an action movie to pop up on youtube. :wink:

Kind regards,

Teddy

Thanks you all for the compliments and a special thank to you Teddy for the tip on how to re-gearing!

Here you can find the complete gallery of my new BR :classic:

This is really one amazing engine and a great variety of pictures to get an idea of all the fantastic details. I did; however, remove three of your over-sized images. You're welcome to add them back within our site guidelines of 800x600 max.

Still, a splendid locomotive. :thumbup:

This is really one amazing engine and a great variety of pictures to get an idea of all the fantastic details. I did; however, remove three of your over-sized images. You're welcome to add them back within our site guidelines of 800x600 max.

Still, a splendid locomotive. :thumbup:

Oops! I've just resized the images I had missed those three pictures. :tongue:

Thanks for the compliments The Brickster! :classic:

Oops! I've just resized the images I had missed those three pictures.

Looks like you added the oversized images back - still not resized.

EDIT: You got it. Thanks for taking the time to resize - much appreciated. :thumbup:

Wow, so many many brilliant details, congratulations LT12V!

You really now have the most awesome BR collection :thumbup:

I'm totally at loss when it comes to piston design and gearing, so much to think about...

Wow, so many many brilliant details, congratulations LT12V!

You really now have the most awesome BR collection :thumbup:

I'm totally at loss when it comes to piston design and gearing, so much to think about...

Thanks for your kind words Bricks n bolts, now I'm waiting for your innovative BR 23! :wink:

Hey, you’ve done a great work there, notably the way you had planned it :thumbup: . The shape is efficaciously captured. Hope to see this multi axles model in action somewhere or in a You-Tube film clip. Now is it time for related carriages? :wink:

Edited by helos

Hey, you’ve done a great work there, notably the way you had planned it :thumbup: . The shape is efficaciously captured.

Thanks for the compliments, I remember your great work done with the E444 - The Turtle - Electric FS Locomotive! :classic:

Again a truly magnificent MOC! I am impressed by the accuracy and your planning.

You have quite a BR collection now: BR84, BR94, BR01 & BR23 and the models are getting better all the time!

What's next?

Edited by harnbak

LT12Vs: I've been meaning to provide some additional feedback on this impressive locomotive for some time. I love this train engine! :wub: This locomotive reminds me of my early experiences with HO-scale German locomotives. They were heavy and stayed on the track, unlike many of the modern trains, but that was HO.

Great job on the wheel design and pistons. That must have taken some work. Also, I like the separate battery for the lights - a nice feature.

While this wasn't exactly a Christmas Train entry, you certainly made it around Christmas and for the impressive build, I am awarding you an honorary EB Train Tech Tag to hang below your avatar.

In addition, this outstanding train has been front-paged! Congratulations on a beautiful LEGO Train Locomotive! :thumbup:

Once again I find myself ogling one of your MOCs on Brickshelf. Nicely done my friend. The proportions are spot on, and you've captured a lot of detail. I may have to try my hand at building a nice German steamer like this.

--Tony

LT12Vs: I've been meaning to provide some additional feedback on this impressive locomotive for some time. I love this train engine! :wub: This locomotive reminds me of my early experiences with HO-scale German locomotives. They were heavy and stayed on the track, unlike many of the modern trains, but that was HO.

Great job on the wheel design and pistons. That must have taken some work. Also, I like the separate battery for the lights - a nice feature.

While this wasn't exactly a Christmas Train entry, you certainly made it around Christmas and for the impressive build, I am awarding you an honorary EB Train Tech Tag to hang below your avatar.

In addition, this outstanding train has been front-paged! Congratulations on a beautiful LEGO Train Locomotive! :thumbup:

Hey TheBrickster, crazy you! :laugh:

The frontpage is the best gift I could receive for Christmas! :thumbup:

Thanks to all!

Once again I find myself ogling one of your MOCs on Brickshelf. Nicely done my friend. The proportions are spot on, and you've captured a lot of detail. I may have to try my hand at building a nice German steamer like this.

--Tony

Thanks master! :wink:

That is something i really like!

Very good job,i hope TLG take a look for something like that!:thumbup:

Beautiful engine 'LT12V', your electric's are excellent.....perfect detailing, almost as good as my friend's 520 Steam Ranger. :wink:

Congrats on making the front page......Brick On 'LT12V' ! :classic:

Beautiful engine 'LT12V', your electric's are excellent.....perfect detailing, almost as good as my friend's 520 Steam Ranger. :wink:

Congrats on making the front page......Brick On 'LT12V' ! :classic:

That is a matter of taste (and nationality?) :tongue: