cruiser_elston

Tips on building ship's bow?

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any tips on building the front of the ship's hull? I am planning on building a 6 stud wide hull and was wondering how do I get the curved effect like a real ship's hull. Please help! Thanks! :classic:

Edited by cruiser_elston

I don't know if you are wanting a completely brick-built solution, or if you are willing to use hull pieces. If the latter, this piece could easily give you a nice six-wide bow.

I don't know if you are wanting a completely brick-built solution, or if you are willing to use hull pieces. If the latter, this piece could easily give you a nice six-wide bow.

Thanks for the reply. What's the completely brick-built solution?

What type of ship is it? An 18th century ship or a more modern one? For the latter I would take a look at the Maersk ship.

I like that you are looking for input and ideas from the EB community, but I'm going to put this into the pirate forums where it belongs. Thanks.

Ill move this out of the Shipyard :pir_laugh2:

Edited by Ratshot

I have build an 8 wide ship a while ago, maybe the design can be of use

dsc02937.jpg

(the picture is a link to a mocpage where you can download LDD instructions, below, just above the comment section)

EDIT :

Ah I see Skipper already linked to my ship :pir-sweet:

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

Hate to sound negative, but your entire premise seems flawed. As many have pointed out already you need to know ahead of time all the details of your end goal. Not only does era of origin matter, but the type of vessel, is equally so. There is no “one hull type” that can be considered standard in any way. Every type of vessel from any era or nationality has important and particular aspects. If you’re looking at making a 19th century schooner, you’ll be looking to achieve a very different shape than if you were modeling a 14th or 15th carrack, while both vessels are likely of similar size. Some of the methods offered as examples are quite novel and interesting, in particular cb4’s, but they can be quite complicated and involve many special bricks. If you’re looking for something more straight forward and conventional, I suggest looking at my work, linked in my signature. As for making the piece look more round you will find, as with all modeling, a series of compromises will be necessary. If you go my rout you’ll have to settle for simply simulating curvature with digital steps by staggering bricks. A good way to plot this out ahead of time is to use a bitmap editor, like MS Paint. Draw the curve in profile and consider each bit a brick of 1X1 studs, then copy the pattern in bricks, plastic or digital. Part of the CGH method, originally intended for pre-fab hulls, involves using articulated pieces, bent and staged to look very much rounder. I do believe Greenhair’s “Build a Frigate” tutorial has been indexed, so it can still be referenced. You may also like something like what’s used on the new imperial flagship. All in all a 6 stud wide hull is downright tiny. Anytime to refine your scale so small you handicap your ability to work in high detail. If I have one outright suggestion, it would be to increase the size of your scale as much as you can.

I am looking at cruise ship hulls. Any more suggestions?

I don't follow that at all. Were you making a sail driven vessel, like a man-of-war or pirate ship? If this is case, then a modern cruise ship isn't even close. If you're making something more contemporary, you may just be in the wrong forum. Ancient wooden sailing vessels tended to have very round bows, while modern steel hulls, like a cruise ship, reduce forward resistance with far more angular prows.

Thank you for all your replies. I can now build an ancient sail boat and a modern cruise ship now. Thanks! :pir-sweet:

(P.S, I changed my account.)

Edited by elston974

Any methods that I can use for a cruise hip hull (6 stud wide)? Thanks again! :wink:

Cruise ships have a very pointy sleek bow, with a significant over hang.

but on a scale which leaves you with a six studs wide beam I think its best to use the prefab lego hulls.

You can also use one of the above techniques, but then I think you should go for the snot angled bricks.

Bart

Cruise ships have a very pointy sleek bow, with a significant over hang.

but on a scale which leaves you with a six studs wide beam I think its best to use the prefab lego hulls.

You can also use one of the above techniques, but then I think you should go for the snot angled bricks.

Bart

Thank you for your suggestion Bart :)