Sign in to follow this  
mcfarlandman

The Hanging Tower

Sometimes its not what goes over a bridge that is troublesome - its what comes from under it. In the more remote reaches of Mitgardia bridge trolls can be more than just a nuisance - they can block entire trade routes or even collapse the bridge itself. This led to the construction of the Hanging Towers along the underside of strategic bridges. Manned by just a few men, these towers are quite effective in preventing the nesting of bridge trolls if only due to the angle of their watch.

It was my hope to convey a small section of a larger bridge, while I feel I failed somewhat in that respect (the MOC seems fairly self contained) - I'm still happy with the overall look.

For Mitgardia!

dsc01234.jpg

dsc01223.jpg

dsc01232.jpg

Hah, what a neat idea, does that slider on the right raise the troll up the wall? (if it is a slider and not a really long window lol)

It's a solid display as is, but if it ever bothers you enough I think simply extending the bridge a little more would get the point across better that it's a bridge not a stone treehouse.

Edited by DrNightmare

A great idea and well done to bring it to bricks! :classic:

does the hanging tower have any trans clear pillars that I canĀ“t see or is it really hanging?! *oh2*

I love the hanging piece - does that part weigh a lot? Structurally, I'm curious how much stress is on that main joint location! Very cool creation!

Wonderful creation! This may be the most original idea I've seen in the contest so far! :wub: The design itself is really great, and the architectural detailing on the top parts of the tower has a very good fantasy feeling to it. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I too am curious what kind of counterweight you used to keep this beauty from falling over.

Neat idea, well made, good details, very nice. It is indeed original and has some very unique features.

I agree with your concern that it is may be a little too self contained as I am not sure without the back story I would have known this was a section of mountain bridge. I may have understood that better had at least one side been mountain or something. I think this is more an issue with the 32 x 32 restriction than with your building skills though. I also think it is too narrow to be a major trade bridge. I suppose in the mountains everyone is on foot so it might not need to be large enough for a cart or something, but I would hate to squeeze through this bridge with a large pack or a pack animal of some sort... especially with all the trolls and dwarves about!

I do love the shapes and details though, it is just so unique. I think you are right that the look is so eye-catching the other stuff is far less important. Great MOC overall and sure to be a challenge contender!

Thanks everyone!

The tower is actually hanging - no trans-clear or other trickery. I built this piece into the tower on the right http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=73090b and made it as solid as possible. The hanging tower is as hollow as possible, with only a single technic axle inside the round section. The actual bridge between the two sections is full of long overlapping plates. Even still the right side of the baseplate rises about a millimeter off the table from the weight of the tower.

Very original and impressive! This instantly jumps out, thanks to the interesting design, something I have often thought about trying myself. There must be a lot of stress on the tower that's holding it up? Great work

Love the idea of a hanging tower, it looks so striking and original. :thumbup: Although i feel for the poor troll though, all he wanted to do was practise his bouldering skills! :laugh: Great work, i really want to see a complete bridge version now!

This is a great idea. I really like the circular barrel, and the spiked pendulum at the bottom. Great concept though, way to think outside the bridge!

This is a really impressive build, it's not only a really neat original idea, but it has nice techniques too. Great spikes. Well done!

:classic:

That's a fantastic tower, great idea too. The RR Rock monster looks good against the grey stone tower, all I want though is some foliage, just a little bit here and there. I like the round bit on the tower, will have to give that a go :thumbup:

That is a unconventional concept.

Great Work! I don't know this Tower before.

Thanky to Legonardo Davidy for this Idex thread

Edited by Hersbrucker

Same with me, I had not seen this until today in the index. I love this tower, it is really original!