I just started up LDD, and it looks like LDD4 is out early. It's downloading right now for me - 120.15 MB too. I didn't see a dedicated discussion thread so I figured I'd make one, I'll probably fill out this post more later after it's finished downloading and I've got a chance to play with it. :cry_happy: Kinda excited to see all the new stuff.

Ok, I've installed and played with it a wee bit. There's a lot of happy news here. Firstly, the interface is greatly improved. When you choose a tool, all the sub-options become click choices underneath on a mini bar (No more having to open a click menu or scroll thought with Shift+V, for instance).

You can now input a precise numerical angle into the hinge tool, which i'm sure we're all excited about.

The Flex Tool is sort of weird to get used to at first, but then I realized I was trying too hard. It is deceptively simple to use and the little I played with it was pretty awesome.

The Colour Pallete in Universe Mode lists the actual name and number of the colour when you scroll over it (for all of them it seems), which is again pretty great. It also seems that Universe Mode now has every colour, including the old greys, in the pallete itself.

There doesn't seem to be any tread support, but all these new features and a bunch of new bricks are entirely amazing. So far this seems to be more than I was hoping for. I'm not going to spoil anything more in this post (Unless you ask me to, that is), because like all things LEGO... You just gotta build with it!

I've only played with it a tiny bit so far, so I'm sure we're going to find even more really cool new functions and features.

EDIT by ADMIN: changed the topic title

Great discovery, the page shows the availability of LDD 3.1 still.

I tried to launch the installer... no chance to have a portable version as I hoped! :sad:

Later I'll test it!

I just started up LDD, and it looks like LDD4 is out early. It's downloading right now for me - 120.15 MB too. I didn't see a dedicated discussion thread so I figured I'd make one, I'll probably fill out this post more later after it's finished downloading and I've got a chance to play with it. :cry_happy: Kinda excited to see all the new stuff.

The first problem I found with it is a relatively simple but odd one:

There is a 'flex' tool, but I can't find one buyable brick in the DesignByMe palette to test it with! *huh*

Hopefully this oversight is easily fixed! I would love flexible, buyable, hoses in the DesignByMe palette! :grin:

Sounds like a dream come true. My LDD is updating right now, so we'll see how much it stands to impress.

I do want to note again though, the flex tool is a bit odd to get used to. If you hold it near a stud and wait a second it will actually align on it's own, and even rotate the piece slowly and find the optimal rotation for it. I've even been able to get a tube to wrap around another piece, snake-like. I am really loving it though, it's turned out a lot better than I had been hoping for.

Also: Bottom left of the window has a piece count. :D

Okay... I've got it installed, and the first thing that comes up when I open it is something about "Graphics Driver Failure". It says I can click OK to run it in compatibility mode, but when I click OK the program stops responding. I am disappoint.

Same here!

LU mode works!

It certainly does! That flex tool is wonderful! :laugh: Now if only I could order some in DesignByMe mode, cause I would like some of the flex elements that can be expensive or hard to find in quantity on BrickLink sometimes! :wink:

One thing I would like to know about LDD though: Why does it ask me to "save" a totally blank scene to the model file I was just using? I don't want to accidentally erase anything so of course I click 'no'. :thumbdown:

After a little testing, my opinion is... conflicting!

I like new features, but at the same time I've the sensation that something has been lost.

But perhaps

Some notes:

- search function: finally it is! Something to improve, however: for example if I write brick 1x1 the filter let bricks 1x10 appears. So I tried to add a space after x1, but I didn't obtain what I wanted.

- names for colours: that's great! Now I only have to learn new names... I'm accustomed to peeron's colour names.

- flex tool: It seems to work fine, but I can't apply it to all flexible elements (such as flexible axles). As these pieces are flexible but need to be "hooked" to maintain the form, I tried to use hinge connection tool but with no success. Great idea to point out in the palette flexible elements.

- Brick categories in Universe Mode: many brickas are not placed in their category, but in a "?" one.

- Some decorations in Universe mode: has not been corrected. For example road signs are wrong still.

- Groups: I hoped in some groups new function, but I don't see that. Need further investigation.

- Selections Tools: Selection tool is a bit... lacking! I hoped in a combination of present types and some new type.

- Portable version: no portable version... what a pity!

When searching all fields open and stay open, which is annyoing, since there is no close all fields button.

Some fun:

knot.png

After a little testing, my opinion is... conflicting!

I like new features, but at the same time I've the sensation that something has been lost.

But perhaps

Some notes:

- search function: finally it is! Something to improve, however: for example if I write brick 1x1 the filter let bricks 1x10 appears. So I tried to add a space after x1, but I didn't obtain what I wanted.

- names for colours: that's great! Now I only have to learn new names... I'm accustomed to peeron's colour names.

- flex tool: It seems to work fine, but I can't apply it to all flexible elements (such as flexible axles). As these pieces are flexible but need to be "hooked" to maintain the form, I tried to use hinge connection tool but with no success. Great idea to point out in the palette flexible elements.

- Brick categories in Universe Mode: many brickas are not placed in their category, but in a "?" one.

- Some decorations in Universe mode: has not been corrected. For example road signs are wrong still.

- Groups: I hoped in some groups new function, but I don't see that. Need further investigation.

- Selections Tools: Selection tool is a bit... lacking! I hoped in a combination of present types and some new type.

- Portable version: no portable version... what a pity!

Well, it's a good thing you use Peeron names, since Peeron is one of the site's that's gracious enough to cross-reference their color list with the official LEGO color list.

I've e-mailed Customer Service about my problem loading LDD, and hopefully will get a response soon. In the meantime, I'm majorly bummed because I can't use LDD at all (I happen to have LDD 1.4 on disk, but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't even load most of my models, and it certainly predated LEGO Universe mode). Glad to hear all the great things that will be awaiting me once I get the program to work (even if that requires buying a new graphics card for my laptop or something).

Anyone with powerfull enough GPU, select draw lines on bricks and put advanced shading to max....Models look awesome this way!

Every time I try to check a price I get the following message.

CaptureLDD.jpg

I've tried restarting the application and the same thing happens. Is it just me?

Every time I try to check a price I get the following message.

CaptureLDD.jpg

I've tried restarting the application and the same thing happens. Is it just me?

What mode are you in? You can't check price on anything not built with parts from the DesignByMe palette. Other than that, no idea-- maybe there's some part of the new version that the DesignByMe website has to support and doesn't yet.

It doesn't open on my pc.

I'm having the same problem. I've contacted Customer Service. If they tell me a solution, I'll be sure to share it here (although it might vary by operating system and computer hardware).

I'm running it on a Mac and not having any problems at all. The flex tool is amazing! Also love the option to see the brick outlines, although it is a little more pronounced than I thought it would be.

Argh I can't use "draw lines on bricks" and "put advanced shading to max" on my notebook!

Why to lock that function? It would be useful for screenshots even if too much heavy for the machine while working!

Just found some new pieces of interest.

lddscreenshot32.png

Looks like some Star Wars fans are going to be very happy. :laugh: Guess that Storm Trooper helmet before wasn't just an accident then.

Edit: Actually, I'm finding a lot more SW parts. Grievous Arm, Clone Pilot Helmet, and the Super Battle Droid rocket arm just to name a couple. Most interesting so far is the "Nute Gunray Hat". We haven't had a fig of him yet have we? maybe this is a sign about a future set...?

Edit2: Last edit I swear, just updated the picture with all the SW mini fig parts I've found. Really curious what else there is in there now! :laugh:

Edited by Daedalus304

Just found some new pieces of interest.

lddscreenshot32.png

Looks like some Star Wars fans are going to be very happy. :laugh: Guess that Storm Trooper helmet before wasn't just an accident then.

Edit: Actually, I'm finding a lot more SW parts. Grievous Arm, Clone Pilot Helmet, and the Super Battle Droid rocket arm just to name a couple. Most interesting so far is the "Nute Gunray Hat". We haven't had a fig of him yet have we? maybe this is a sign about a future set...?

Edit2: Last edit I swear, just updated the picture with all the SW mini fig parts I've found. Really curious what else there is in there now! :laugh:

Actually, we did have a set with Nute Gunray-- 8036 Separatists Shuttle

I'm pleased with this because it means I can goof around with Star Wars parts from sets I don't own. I haven't collected LEGO Star Wars sets in a long time, but I keep up with them and always end up coming up with "theories" about cool part uses which I'm unable to test for myself.

also the new graphics are gorgeous.

5123569726_007fb53dc8.jpg

and I am going to commandeer my brother's new computer to see them :tongue:

in seriousness, I love that we have so many metallic tones now - and the flex tool is absolutely astounding for the 4 pieces it works on.

and I like that we've got nearly all prince of persia parts, though dastan hair is a glaring omission and the ostrich isn't quite satisfactory between lack of seperate head and coloring options.

The wrist blade is actually labeled "wolverine" :grin:

"invert selection" is cool - you can select everything but

oh my gosh - degrees in the hinge tool :cry_happy:

haha sorry. looks like I'm repeating some of you guys

we got a lot of the parts we asked for. cowboy hat's finally here...

Edited by SpiderSpaceman

To SpiderSpaceman: Not to worry you or anything, but that screen you got...well, I got it too and soon after my graphics card fried. The polygons grew out from a "move" in LDD and eventually froze the program and computer. After that happened maybe 3-4 times, the card died and I never got to see me screen with it again.

Just a warning, but I really hope that doesn't happen for you.

As for LDD 4.0.... WOOOOOOHHOOOO!!!!! super excited. I'm making a back-up of LDD 3 just in case, but this is awesome!