Superkalle

[2016 Digital Design Contest] - Rules, prizes and questions

ContestGraphic2.png

Digital Design building contest - build your own theme

After a long hiatus, we're happy to finally present a new digital-building contest open for all digital design tools (LDD, Ldraw, Mecabricks etc)! Before we used to have a class that you should also build the model with physcial bricks to encourage and promote the use of digital design tools as part of the creative process. But this time we skipped that, and have only once class that's an all digital contest.

This time, the contest challenge is to create your own theme. You are free to create whatever you want: a new castle theme, microscale cities, household items, unicorn-ninjas, cars, Technic models or whatever. Basically anything as long as it is a coherent ‘theme". For this reason you need to create at least three models so that the theme topic can be seen.

NOTE: This is a digital building contest, so you have to build on your PC/Mac, although you may off course build it with real bricks afterwards and showcase that too.

Your entry should consist of at least 3 models and a maximum of 10 (Update April 23: you can interpret 10 models as 10 sets). The size of each model is up to you, so if you want to make for example 5 micro-scale models or 3 larger models, or any combination, is up to you. The only limitation is that you use max 5000 bricks total for all models and that all models should be part of one coherent theme.

Prizes

Of course a contest isn’t a contest without some prizes. And we decided to go all in on this one with a huge first prize and seasoned it with some smaller ones for the runners up:

1st - 75827 Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters

Ghost.jpg

2nd - 21027 Berlin

Berlin.jpg

3rd - 21026 Venice

Venice.jpg

Prizes have kindly been donated by TLG. Shipping to winners is courtesy of Eurobricks.

Submitting your entry

When you’re satisfied with your entry, post it in the designated Entry topic here in the Digital Design forum on Eurobricks along with a name for your theme.

You can add up to 5 images. The ‘main-image’ of your post should be an overview of your theme, and the other ones could be details etc. Max resolution of images is 1024x768 or equivalent

NOTE: Only post contest entries in this contest topic - one post per entry. If you want to add/get comments for entries, you can do so in the dedicated Comment topic. You may off course add a backstory or description of the theme. Renders are allowed but photoshoping in other parts, backdrop, box-art etc into your images is not allowed.

Entry Deadline

The deadline of the contest is April 30th noon CET.

Entries submitted after the deadline will be disqualified.

Voting

When the contest is closed, there will be the standard community vote. The voting will be done by each voters casting two votes:

• One vote for best Model design, theme etc. We will encourage voters to look mostly at the model designs, so to avoid that themes stands against theme. Naturally voters will judge also originality of the theme, color coordination, "coolness", and also perhaps use of the unique possibilities with designing with digital tools, but the main focus should be the quality of the models showcased.
  • One vote for (since its a digital contest) "best presentation/render".

The final voting will be tallied so that 70% of weight will be for best model and 30% for best presentation. More details will be presented at a later date when the voting is opened.

The voting will be open only to members registered on EB the day before the contest was announced.

Summary and additional Rules

General:

• You may build your model using LDD, MecaBricks or an LDraw based program, such as MLcad, LDCad, BrickSmith and more.
  • The contest is open to all Eurobricks members (also new members). EB Staff is not allowed to participate.
  • Your models should be new and not posted before on the internet.
  • It is allowed to make a theme as a spin off on a licensed theme or other LEGO theme (in case you have an idea for that).
  • Use of custom (i.e. non-LEGO) parts is not allowed.
  • Use of custom decals is allowed.
  • Although it's possible to use all brick/color combinations when building digital, to keep it fair, use only released color/part combinations, i.e. what can be find on BrickLink. Update March 29: In addition to this, you are allowed to use max 5 new/own combos in total for your proposed theme. List any new combos you use in your entry post so it's clear which they are.
  • You may not add photoshop backdrops or other "non"-LEGO items into the images - the themes should be possible to judge based on their design quality and theme originality by themselves.
  • Don't use the LEGO-logo in the image
  • Don't create box-art or similar to present the theme - just the models themselves
  • The models have to be physically buildable, so no floating bricks and such.
  • Only 1 entry/theme) per person.
  • We (Superkalle & Legolijntje) reserve the right to disqualify any entry that does not follow these rules.

Entry rules:

• Entries are to be placed in the dedicated Entry topic in this forum - one post per entry.
  • If you want comments, or want to discuss a certain entry, please use the dedicated Comment topic for entries, preferably with adding a link to the entry in the Contest topic.
  • Name your theme, and your models with suitable names
  • The entry post may be edited at any time up to the end of the contest, so feel free to make improvements if you wish.
  • You are encouraged (but not forced to) to share your digital files. This is both to allow other people do judge your techniques when voting, but also to share in the spirit of the community.

Questions?

Post them in this topic

YES!!!

Only allowed 5 photos, eh? So if I make... 6 sets, I'll have to post external photos somewhere else?

Edited by CM4Sci

YES!!!

Only allowed 5 photos, eh? So if I make... 6 sets, I'll have to post external photos somewhere else?

Just add a few more models into one of the images

Just add a few more models into one of the images

Alright!

Wow, I'm so excited! All the new pieces, Bluerender, I am ready for this! I just need to remember how to add custom decals because last time I tried after a while it wouldn't let me... something about python..

WOOHOOO!

Would I be correct in assuming that no photoshopped backgrounds means they can't be part of the render directly either?

WOOHOOO!

Would I be correct in assuming that no photoshopped backgrounds means they can't be part of the render directly either?

The contest has been live for a couple of minutes and already questions come in we haven't thought about :tongue:. Let me discuss your question with legolijntes, but for the time being: Yes - don't add backdrops in the render itself. And don't add bricks etc behind the model unless they are part of the model itself. It's just to avoid that people either Photoshop in these yaw-dropping images of the universe etc, or creative massive LEGO worlds behind the models, and then you get distracted from the models themselves. The idea is that it is a "MOC design contest" and the focus is on the models and theme design. Naturally you can add a solid background color backdrop, or a background that transitionins from a foreground to a background color) or something neutral and toned down like that. Also you can add that the models reflect on a the floor as part of the rendering (i.e. like a glossy floor). And you can off course use HDR images for lighting to get the right reflection in chrome pieces etc, but only then as a lighting source.

Wow, great idea for a contest! I can't wait to see all of the original ideas and builds here, and have no doubt it will be many, considering that dazzling prize! Too bad I'm staff now that there's a contest I can participate in... I'm still wondering thoug: it's allowed to use custom decals, but how about parts that aren't technically customizable with decals in real life. I imagine some parts with complex shapes are hard to customize in real life, but here any part can be redecorated, right?

(Rules say is can be a spin-off) Can it also be a new license theme?

Does it has to be a new idea?

Not sure what you mean by new idea.

It can be a spin-off on a Licensed theme or an existing LEGO theme, for example a new sub-theme to CITY or something like that. Or like when LEGO themselves made the micro-models of Star Wars ships. It can also be a theme that perhaps didn't exist yet as LEGO sets, but is available in some other format, like "2016 Formula 1 GP Series cars".

The key idea is to create a set of models that belong to a common theme, and TLG doesn't already have. That said, it could also be a "fresh-up" of an old theme, like a 2016 take on Fabuland. The sky is the limit.

I think the most important is that you think it's a cool idea. And make use of what Digital Tools has to offer, like the ease of making color coordination between models.

We are aware it can be kind of daunting to create a new theme, but hey, it's a challenge, right? :classic:

Hope that answered your question.

(Rules say is can be a spin-off) Can it also be a new license theme?

Yes, no problem.

Wow, great idea for a contest! I can't wait to see all of the original ideas and builds here, and have no doubt it will be many, considering that dazzling prize! Too bad I'm staff now that there's a contest I can participate in... I'm still wondering thoug: it's allowed to use custom decals, but how about parts that aren't technically customizable with decals in real life. I imagine some parts with complex shapes are hard to customize in real life, but here any part can be redecorated, right?

Let me confer with legolijtnjes, but for the time being, let's say like this: As long as the part can be either printed by TLG themselves or that a stricker can be put on the part, then it's OK. If it's not technically feasible to print on the part in real life, then it doesn't make sense to have it in the digital world either. So, rule of thumb: have a look at the TLG prints and stickers put on various parts - if they have done it on some part...then it's OK.

Well, I think it's best to keep it to parts that are printable (or stickerable) in real life too. When using (for example) LDD2POV-ray, you can't even apply custom decals on non-printed pieces, because you have to swap a print in the model for a custom image :tongue: (I believe, not 100% sure though).

So this means that as long as the base part exists in a particular color, any print, TLG provided or otherwise, can be added to the part in program. This should also mean that any part that is dual/multi-colored by way of printing can have a different print color than originally created by TLG, but the base part has to be available in that color. Dual/multi-colored parts by way of molding should only be in colors available from TLG.

I posit this because many of the headgear that include ears have those ears printed, and am hoping to re-color elf, orc and goblin ears for more creatures.

Oh, not again, I really hope we're not doing the 'piece can only be used in existing colors' rule. That was such a killer last time.

Can we also include a made-up logo in the first image or something?

I meant can I use my old idea I already posted years ago, or do I have to come up with a different one?

Sounds like a great contest, I can't wait to enter! However, I think I need some lessons in rendering because I've never done it before. Can someone direct me to a tutorial please?

Edited by Sir Brickalot

I am sorry, can I create a "theme" based on some of the movies or TV-series, which hasn't been released yet. For example, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad etc.

And the second question - what do you call spin off? Can it be like the continuation for already discontinued theme, with the same characters. For example, Insectoids, Adventurers. Or is it to be complete spin off, I mean, in the same universe, but with new characters?

:wub_drool: Finally my chance to own 75827! Not that I'll win, I rarely use LDD and I;'m sure someone else will build some much cooler things. :tongue: Time to get to work! :devil:

Oh, not again, I really hope we're not doing the 'piece can only be used in existing colors' rule. That was such a killer last time.

Can we also include a made-up logo in the first image or something?

Well, we should keep it a little bit realistic, hmm?

You never know, maybe someone likes your MOC so much that he/she would like to build it with real bricks :wink:

What do you mean with a made-up logo?

I meant can I use my old idea I already posted years ago, or do I have to come up with a different one?

Well, was it only an 'idea' or did you already made whole models or something. The rule is that you shouldn't have posted the models before. An idea is something different.

Sounds like a great contest, I can't wait to enter! However, I think I need some lessons in rendering because I've never done it before. Can someone direct me to a tutorial please?

The forum index contains some links to topics with guides for rendering both LDD and LDraw and I believe also for Mecabricks.

I am sorry, can I create a "theme" based on some of the movies or TV-series, which hasn't been released yet. For example, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad etc.

And the second question - what do you call spin off? Can it be like the continuation for already discontinued theme, with the same characters. For example, Insectoids, Adventurers. Or is it to be complete spin off, I mean, in the same universe, but with new characters?

No problem with a theme based on movies or series.

Regarding the spin off: good question. I guess your second option is at least highly preferred. There should be at least some creativity :laugh::wink:

Well, we should keep it a little bit realistic, hmm?

You never know, maybe someone likes your MOC so much that he/she would like to build it with real bricks :wink:

What do you mean with a made-up logo?

I still think it's unfair, I need a lot of pieces in orange and light blue :laugh:

By logo I mean a logo for my theme. Just one I'd make in Photoshop or something

I'm probably not going to enter, but I'll still ask this:

Are we supposed to make real "sets", to make things TLG could release?

So keeping part count low,...

I'm probably not going to enter, but I'll still ask this:

Are we supposed to make real "sets", to make things TLG could release?

So keeping part count low,...

Well, it's not a requirement in the contest, but I have to say I personally like the added twist, i.e. to design the models with the same limitations that TLG designers are obeyed by: trying to design cool models for each price point (limited budget etc) and trying to use the same ItemID in many places to keep the number of ItemID's low. But in the end it will be up to the voters of the contest to decide how they want to judge that extra effort that may have gone into something like that :classic:

By logo I mean a logo for my theme. Just one I'd make in Photoshop or something

I think a little logo on your images is not a problem. :classic:

If I saw this 10 days ago, maybe I would not post my "Mini Historical Vehicles" theme on Lego Ideas...

Edited by marco9999

We will encourage voters to look mostly at the model designs, so to avoid that themes stands against theme.
I'm probably stupid, but I can't figure out what the latter half of that sentence means.

Regardless, cool contest. Gonna be fun seeing all the entries.