Kai NRG

[Ch. IV, Cat. A] Ruined!

19213111652_aa46830eff_z.jpg

The desolate ruins of an inn stood up in stark contrast to the blue sky. Ruin and desolation. This was what war led to.

A little boy presently appeared in the courtyard, wrapped in a cape that was a bit too large for him. He fought back tears as he surveyed the sad scene. Determination was visible in every line of his countenance.

"I will avenge you, father!" His voice choked. He held a short knife in his right hand.

19222654881_f7a0986694_z.jpg

Slowly, sadly, he turned to leave. When he reached the last point from which he could view what had been his home, he looked back briefly. Then, shaking his fist in the direction of the enemy who had consummated the tragedy, he pursued his way.

But wherever he went, he would always remember that day. And the thought of it would, for good or ill, nerve his arm in battle and steel his conscience in deeds of war. Deeds perhaps as dreadful as that of which he had become a victim.

Because war feeds on itself. And it leaves no one unchanged.

Sorry for the rather melodramatic story. :tongue: Here's a shot of the whole build!

19192888546_a71eba2e2f_z.jpg

Credit to MKJ for the idea of an inn with a walkway underneath!

Outstanding texturing on the bluish grey wall and the street! I agree this captures the war torn feel very well. :thumbup:

Great looking ruins Kai. That first shot is amazing. Lego definitely allows you to build ruins very nicely, as you've demonstrated perfectly here.

Great build and story, Kai! You captured the ruined feel very well, especially in the lower rockwork :classic: I would have perhaps liked some more ruination to the top part, but maybe it is very well built :classic: Very well done in any case!

Fantastic work :wub: . I love the texturing of the wall and the way you made the roof :thumbup: .

Edited by Balbo

Excellent build Kai, it really captures the desolation of war :thumbup: I particularly like the dark red roof, but the entire destroyed inn is very nice!

Thanks guys!

Great looking ruins Kai. That first shot is amazing. Lego definitely allows you to build ruins very nicely, as you've demonstrated perfectly here.

Thanks MN! These definitely did work out well, I think I'll have to try out something similar sometime!

Great build and story, Kai! You captured the ruined feel very well, especially in the lower rockwork :classic: I would have perhaps liked some more ruination to the top part, but maybe it is very well built :classic: Very well done in any case!

Thank you! Yes, the top part is a bit surprisingly intact! I built it without quite remembering about the ruins below, I'm afraid, and then I remembered and tried to mess it up a touch, but it is still a little too solid looking... :laugh:

Wow! So many feelings in just ABS bricks! Great work here! :wub:

Thank you dG!

It all looks so forlorn and desolate, and illustrates the harsh realities of war quite well without resorting to a look of total destruction. There's no need to apalogize for a melodramatic story because it matches the mood of the scene well. The combination of colors is nice and the shape of the building is an artistic break from the more common square or rectangular look. The textures of the crumbling lower wall are great. And the debris is a nice touch, although more of it might be suitable. Good job of creating an evocative and sobering scene.

Lovely! A little messy, but still quite well done! Love the effect too!

It all looks so forlorn and desolate, and illustrates the harsh realities of war quite well without resorting to a look of total destruction. There's no need to apalogize for a melodramatic story because it matches the mood of the scene well. The combination of colors is nice and the shape of the building is an artistic break from the more common square or rectangular look. The textures of the crumbling lower wall are great. And the debris is a nice touch, although more of it might be suitable. Good job of creating an evocative and sobering scene.

Thanks Captain Dee!

I'll admit that I kind of ran out of rubble there at the end, :laugh: though I might have been able to scrape a little more together but I didn't really think of it.

Excellent build! I really like the crumbling effects and the overall layout :thumbup:

Thanks LJ!

Lovely! A little messy, but still quite well done! Love the effect too!

Thank you Adair!

Yup, this place has been trashed :thumbup: Good work with the ruins, and you chose a great angle for the first picture :classic:

Fantastic Ruins!

Thanks Umbra!

Yup, this place has been trashed :thumbup: Good work with the ruins, and you chose a great angle for the first picture :classic:

Thank you SK!

Wonderful! Both the story and build are excellent, among my top favorites from you. The first picture in particular really sets the scene. Superb work on the damage and debris here, the loose bricks as rubble is a nice touch. The inn itself has many great features, like the roof, texturing and colors, and I like how the upper portion hangs over the foundation below.

Wonderful! Both the story and build are excellent, among my top favorites from you. The first picture in particular really sets the scene. Superb work on the damage and debris here, the loose bricks as rubble is a nice touch. The inn itself has many great features, like the roof, texturing and colors, and I like how the upper portion hangs over the foundation below.

Thanks ME! I also think that this is one of my best castle builds so far - I guess I should try some more ruins in the future!