Commodore Marks

Lego at University

Hello everyone.

Back when I was a Lego-obsessed kid, my pirate army was my pride and joy. But alas, the relentless march of time brought new chores and duties, and my once-proud armada was relegated to ordinary on shelves and in boxes, appearing only fleetingly in occasional reminisces of my carefree childhood. But when I by chance discovered these forums, I felt once again the fresh sea air against my cheek, I felt my boots rooted firm on the quarterdeck. My weather eye set upon the approaching horizon, absorbing a world as bright and wondrous as it was they day it breathed its first. Adventure! I tossed back my head and let a lusty buccaneer yell fly free to join the chorus of crashing waves and creaking timbers. Once again, I was a pirate!

Here's the trouble. I'm cooped up in a university dormitory, bereft of the space needed to produce magnificent MOC's like all of yours which inspire me so. How have any of you dealt with similar constraints? Must I resign myself to focusing exclusively on small models and vignettes, or is there a solution I just haven't realized?

Thanks for your help!

Hello Commodore, and welcome to Classic-Pirates.com! If you are confined to small living quarters, you have come to the right place to keep the pirate flame burning. There is always the possibility of building smaller MOCs, but you could always build a ship to stick on a shelf. There are only very few members on our boards that have the means to build massive dioramas anyway.

But to keep you occupied when not building, be sure to join into our great discussions, and there is always 'Behind The Helm' to listen to when you need your LEGO fix! :pir-classic:

Welcome to Classice Pirates.com Commodore Mark, its so nice to see someone return from there infamous "darkages".

Mr.Zuloo's right about "Behind the Helm" Its one of the few highlights in such an awful place as this :pir-grin:

If its not to personal, how did you manage to find this place?

Greetings Commodore Marks!

Here's the trouble. I'm cooped up in a university dormitory, bereft of the space needed to produce magnificent MOC's like all of yours which inspire me so. How have any of you dealt with similar constraints? Must I resign myself to focusing exclusively on small models and vignettes, or is there a solution I just haven't realized?

Instead of MOCing I've spent most of the time establishing a Pirate LEGO Forum and blog. I've attempted a few smaller MOCs but never found time to build anything overly impressive.

The solution to your problem is to just sieze the dormitory next door and use it as your LEGO hold :pir-grin:

I've been kind of lucky and never had to deal with this issue. I commuted from home as an undergrad and now have an apartment as a grad student. In fact, my Lego collection was something that factored into both decisions.

How large is your collection? You may be able to allocate a bookshelf or two for displays. As for organizing pieces, the Stack-on containers discussed in the storage and sorting thread are very space-efficient, and you can probably fit a few of them at the back of your desk.

I would suggest that you get a program like LDraw (Lego CAD) and try to visualize and then make your creations in there. Once you do that, you can slowly purchase the inventory of parts and place them into small plastic bags. Once you get your own place, you can take it all out, build it, and start having your legos on display like you want!

Welcome to Eurobricks and Classic-Pirates.com, I am certain you will feel right at home!

Be sure to visit our blog once in a while to keep yourself up to date about all and everything that has to do with LEGO Armada/Pirates/Imperials/Sail of age!

Hi and welcome Commodore Marks,

Ah yes, I will be faced with the same problem next year. If I were you I'd try and find a LEGO club in your neighborhood. Maybe you'll meet people who want to build together with you in different places, or who don't mind storing your creations. There's a map of all lugs here: http://www.lugnet.com/map/

As already mentioned you can also make digital designs. There are two different programs you can use: LEGO Digital Designer (made by LEGO) or LDraw (made by fans).

Have fun, and don't forget to show us your MOCs when you've finished them. :sweet:

Dr. Brick

Edited by Dr. Brick

Welcome. Always nice to have a fellow Commodore to play a hand of whist with or enjoy a pint of rum. Captains and Admirals can be sooo boring sometimes :tongue: Great introduction. I could smell the salt air. I hope you enjoy your time here.

As to your space issue all I can say is I have a lot more room than I had in my dormitory days but alas I fear one never has enough space...because... space is for filling and Lego are pretty good at doing just that. Just enjoy doing what you can with what you have and never stop aspiring for your dream Lego room. Life changes quickly and oneday you might just find you have achieved it!

Best - Commodore Hornbricker

Small MOCs, small sets and modular living furniture from IKEA. Lots of shelves, under the bed boxes. Then try and keep the volume of lego managable until you get more space in bigger digs.

Also: Welcome to the forum :thumbup:

'Alo!

I, too, am in Uni!

Believe me, there is always a way to make room!

Congrats on returning to the sea, CM.

Be not a slave to confines, you'll find a way.

Hellllllo Commodore! Welcomes!

You should try getting some LEGO from your house (if you have any there) or buy some from Bricklink

Oh and PS You put ALOT of effort into that Introduction to yourself, maybe you paid attentioon to storywriting class! :tongue: