Kingslayer

Updating Your Minifigs

Hi everyone.

I sort of expect this to be a bit of a slow moving thread because the vast majority of SW minifigs are now " updated" with more printing and especially the white pupils. However there are a few out there that still need a new version made to fully integrate them into the rest of the newer mini fig line up.

This thread is basically ideas on how to update old mini-figs of characters (or even ones that haven't been created yet) into new looking ones with parts that already exist in LEGO. Here are some examples

Poster 1: Hey guys, really want to update Tarkin. Anyone got any ideas?

Poster 2: Yeah, I was thinking use the head from head from the imperial officer from set 75082 and using Dookus' clone wars hair. Could anyone give a picture to show how this would look?

Poster 3: [Insert picture here]

So yeah, that's basically the gist of it, if anyone is confused. (And if anyone does have some picture references for my Tarkin idea, it would be much appreciated)

Thanks!

Here's a picture of Tarkin I found on FBTB's flickr group page (credit to oBone KnoB)

17712772250_96d45cfa4d_c.jpg

Here's another I found of Palpatine using his most recent head on the Office Duel costume (credit to Little_Russian_AFOL)

14421354713_a1228b1d66_o.jpg

14212844318_fd2ae26f47_c.jpg

If anyone has managed to score the Imperial Shuttle or Final Duel sets, I'd love to see what Luke and Leia's new faces look like on their other costumes.

Too bad the slicked back hair piece doesn't come in light bley color, because that would be perfect for a new Tarkin minifigure.

Also, has anybody done an updated Wedge Antilies?

Too bad the slicked back hair piece doesn't come in light bley color, because that would be perfect for a new Tarkin minifigure.

Also, has anybody done an updated Wedge Antilies?

I took his helmet from an old set, and a head from Bard the Bowman. I remember there was a thread about it. Had to erase the sideburns. I even used orange sharpie and highlighter to give him goggles

I took his helmet from an old set, and a head from Bard the Bowman. I remember there was a thread about it. Had to erase the sideburns. I even used orange sharpie and highlighter to give him goggles

You're referring to Biggs Darklighter. I also have edited Bard's face, I just need to get ahold of his pilot helmet. I'm still looking for a suitable Wedge face as well. (http://i.imgur.com/yMNC7za.jpg)

Edited by atlas

Here's another I found of Palpatine using his most recent head on the Office Duel costume (credit to Little_Russian_AFOL)

That really looks a lot better!

What's a good torso for Bespin Luke?

I would try to use the original. Maybe you could paint over the yellow or something. Otherwise there aren't many alternatives I can think of.

I would try to use the original. Maybe you could paint over the yellow or something. Otherwise there aren't many alternatives I can think of.

Yep. Or you could custom print it. Two pockets and probably several details would be nice.

Doing and updated Wedge wouldn't that hard, just taking his helmet, and the X-Wing pilot torso, but the problem is finding a head piece that works.

Should this thread be moved to the Minifig Customization shop? Either that, or have a "Purist StarWars Minifigures" thread there.

Doing and updated Wedge wouldn't that hard, just taking his helmet, and the X-Wing pilot torso, but the problem is finding a head piece that works.

For helmet-on, visor-down I might just use Theron Nett's head from the Microfighter X-wing... visor-up, the T-16 pilot's visorless face should work nicely, tho you lose the mic from the Microfighter pilot head. With no helmet, any fairly plain head with black eyebrows might work, or even the plain fleshie face with brown brows & a bit of a smile... some good candidates I saw on a recent search might be Ezra's head, the 'stern eyebrows', slight smile head used on some Imp Officers (tho usually the mouth seems set too far down), and maybe even the head used on an Imp Shuttle Pilot, Hoth Rebel Soldier, & General Veers.

I didn't snap pics, but in a recent order I got a pair of legs from 75040 Obi-Wan and slapped 'em on my Nahdar Vebb figure, improving him a smidge over the plain dark tan legs. :sweet:

I made my updated Wedge minifigure, and I'll post a picture when I get the chance.

Now I want to make a Rebels version Capt. Rex. I'm thinking just getting the "not angry clone" head, and put it on some clone armor, and replace the arms with flesh colored ones, and give him the small white beard. I have everything I need to make one, except the beard piece.

I would hope we'll get a Lego Rebels Rex in the next year or two (along with grown-up Ahsoka, Sabine with new hair color, the new Inquisitors, maybe Sato & some Phoenix Squad folk...), and it'd sure be nice if they finally took the chance to update his skin tone... he shouldn't be paler than Kanan. :tongue:

I would hope we'll get a Lego Rebels Rex in the next year or two (along with grown-up Ahsoka, Sabine with new hair color, the new Inquisitors, maybe Sato & some Phoenix Squad folk...), and it'd sure be nice if they finally took the chance to update his skin tone... he shouldn't be paler than Kanan. :tongue:

Same thing with Sabine... and Ezra...

There are a distinct lack of non-light-flesh human minifigures in the non-yellow LEGO world. I'd love more accurate looking Rebels figures. Plus just more Rebels characters generally - having only fairly recently come out of my dark ages, it's nice to be able to collect something right from the start :)

There are a distinct lack of non-light-flesh human minifigures in the non-yellow LEGO world. I'd love more accurate looking Rebels figures. Plus just more Rebels characters generally - having only fairly recently come out of my dark ages, it's nice to be able to collect something right from the start :)

I've taken to using Panaka heads for some clones, and have taken advantage of decent prices on Cyborg & Winston Zeddemore heads to diversify some other minifigs (Winston's mustache may not quite match Lando's, but it does the job under the Skiff Guard helmet, freeing up Lando's grinning head for my General Calrissian figure!). I imagine it's tricky to nail a particular character's skin tone with existing Lego colors, which may be why they don't feature as much diversity as they could/should (also it's possible consistency plays a role... was Medium Dark Flesh/Medium Nougat available in 2008 when TCW began? Trying to do a quick BL search, 2010 is the earliest appearance I've found of bricks in that color... Maybe that's why clones all had regular light flesh skin, and why they still do)

I've taken to using Panaka heads for some clones, and have taken advantage of decent prices on Cyborg & Winston Zeddemore heads to diversify some other minifigs (Winston's mustache may not quite match Lando's, but it does the job under the Skiff Guard helmet, freeing up Lando's grinning head for my General Calrissian figure!). I imagine it's tricky to nail a particular character's skin tone with existing Lego colors, which may be why they don't feature as much diversity as they could/should (also it's possible consistency plays a role... was Medium Dark Flesh/Medium Nougat available in 2008 when TCW began? Trying to do a quick BL search, 2010 is the earliest appearance I've found of bricks in that color... Maybe that's why clones all had regular light flesh skin, and why they still do)

Yes, I've bought some Winston and Cyborg heads too... been trying to find some Storm heads for female minifigures (I have some female rebels in my Endor layout and some in my Hoth build), but drawn a blank so far. Ended up going for some non-human faces such as the one from the Lady Liberty collectable minifig for some variety. The light-flesh clones don't worry me too much, as they've got helmets on anyway most of the time. I'm hoping that some of the new Jurassic World sets mean that we'll get a wider variety of skin tones in coming sets though.

Yes, I've bought some Winston and Cyborg heads too... been trying to find some Storm heads for female minifigures (I have some female rebels in my Endor layout and some in my Hoth build), but drawn a blank so far. Ended up going for some non-human faces such as the one from the Lady Liberty collectible minifig for some variety. The light-flesh clones don't worry me too much, as they've got helmets on anyway most of the time. I'm hoping that some of the new Jurassic World sets mean that we'll get a wider variety of skin tones in coming sets though.

I think that one of the heads that comes with one of the ACU figs would look good as a clone head, too bad it isn't available individually on BrickLink yet.

I'd really like to know what to do about the constant "updates" to uniformed troops. It makes army building a colossal pain - they keep changing prints on stormtroopers, rebel pilots, etc. with new designs that frequently aren't even improvements, merely different, and keep one from having troops that match. Yeah, first-world problems, I know, but it is frustrating, especially for those of us on budgets who take years to amass forces.

3nZVEGg.jpg

Here's my Wedge figure, just Ezra's head on a Rebel Pilot torso, and the helmet from that X-Wing set. As soon as I get the T-16 skyhopper, then I can use that head for when he has the Helmet on.

<snip>

Here's my Wedge figure, just Ezra's head on a Rebel Pilot torso, and the helmet from that X-Wing set. As soon as I get the T-16 skyhopper, then I can use that head for when he has the Helmet on.

I love him! Looks great!

Edited by MKJoshA
Don't quote pictures please!