Sign in to follow this  
WetWired

3D Model of Lego Head?

I'm trying to track down an accurate 3d model of a lego head, I want to make a custom headpiece and try one of those 3d printing services to print it, but I'm not convinced the schematics I have are accurate is there an existing library out there somewhere with accurate 3d models of lego pieces that can be imported into maya to use as reference when creating something like this? if not is there any decent schematics for a lego head anywhere? the one I have doesn't seem to have the height of a lego head.

I think this question may get better answers from the guys in the LEGO Digital Designer and other digital tools, so I'm moving the topic there.

@ WetWired: See this Eurobricks topic about "Philo's LEGO 3D Scanner (Used for 3D LDRAW Parts) -- NXT Software Available to Scan Any Shape with Laser."

The

shows a "Laser scan of a LEGO part using DAVID laser scanner":

sl1-v.jpg

Hi

Yeah, for starters there is the complete LDraw catalogue of bricks, that can be converted to other formats. I don't know about importing to Maya though - maybe some of the Ldraw gurus here can answer that.

I've also seen tons and tons of LEGO elements on Google Sketchup (actually kind of amazing the number of bricks re-created there). Once again, if they can be converted to other formats I don't know.

LDD is unfortuantely not a source since those brick geometries are propriatry/hidden.

Regarding the Lego minifig head size specifically, yes there should be engineering drawings around. I have seen one once, but can't remember right now where it was.

EDIT: Here it was...on EB naturally :tongue:http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25570

EDIT2: More drawings: http://snively.blogspot.se/2009/04/lego-minifig-dimensions.html

And for fun, the patent application (not really a patent as I understand, but a design protection, but nevertheless:)

minifigpatent-445x590.png

And the little guy :classic:

Yeah I found those blueprints and another one, both which seem to have slightly conflicting measurements so I'm not sure which is real, I modelled a head anyway to test my headpiece.

I was going to do a dark knight rises bane mask but the stud on top of the head kind of prohibits making a nice snuggly fitting mask strap over the top, it kinda looks like he has a massive mohawk or something

I'm trying to track down an accurate 3d model of a lego head, I want to make a custom headpiece and try one of those 3d printing services to print it, but I'm not convinced the schematics I have are accurate is there an existing library out there somewhere with accurate 3d models of lego pieces that can be imported into maya to use as reference when creating something like this? if not is there any decent schematics for a lego head anywhere? the one I have doesn't seem to have the height of a lego head.

I can try importing one into Maya tomorrow, if you like, and if I'm not too busy. It's late now.

I can try importing one into Maya tomorrow, if you like, and if I'm not too busy. It's late now.

If you can get it to work that would be great, I had a try myself with ldr2obj with no luck, I kept getting errors about it being unable to find ldraw.exe and various .dat piece files.

If you can get it to work that would be great, I had a try myself with ldr2obj with no luck, I kept getting errors about it being unable to find ldraw.exe and various .dat piece files.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work with Maya. I'm not too experienced with it though, and I'm sure there must be a way, but as of yet I have nothing. Sorry about that.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to work with Maya. I'm not too experienced with it though, and I'm sure there must be a way, but as of yet I have nothing. Sorry about that.

yeah, no luck here either, I know maya like the back of my hand but it's the ldraw conversion part I'm stuck on

yeah, no luck here either, I know maya like the back of my hand but it's the ldraw conversion part I'm stuck on

Have you tried .stl file format? Maya is supposed to be able to read that (I don't know Maya!), and LDView does export LDraw towards that file format.