Sign in to follow this  
BrickSev

Do you think the Galaxy Squad sets are worth?

Hello fellow AOFL,

I recently noticed a local online store has several, discontinued, Galaxy Squad sets and I was wondering if they are worth to buy.

I was away from the hobby when they were first released so I'd like to know if you think they are good quality sets. I'm a huge Science Fiction fan and if they are nice sets I'd hate to lose the chance to grab few of them before they are gone from that store.

Thank you very much for your help :classic:

I own a couple and I must say that they are great sets! They are also good for army building as some of the sets contain lots of characters from the same squad. I was only able to get four galaxy squad sets (Two of them being polybags) and I regret not getting more while I could. Also Sci-Fi and space themes do not come around too often so I would reccomend getting some :grin:

I own a couple and I must say that they are great sets! They are also good for army building as some of the sets contain lots of characters from the same squad. I was only able to get four galaxy squad sets (Two of them being polybags) and I regret not getting more while I could. Also Sci-Fi and space themes do not come around too often so I would reccomend getting some :grin:

Thank you very much for your info :classic:

Sci-Fi and space themes are indeed very rare outside the Star Wars theme (which I really like but sometimes a little variety is good :wink: )

That store has only 5 Galaxy sets:

70701, 70702, 70704, 70705 and the theme largest set 70709

I'll try to get several of them. They also come with nice "blaster" weapons. Personally I don't like the "stud shooters" coming with the recent battle packs.

Thanks again for the info. I'll post some pic and, hopefully dioramas, comics etc, featuring them :classic:

Galaxy Squad line was a must have for me. I'm not into Star Wars sets so I guess I was really happy to see some Space related stuff at last.

The different sets of the line are pretty good-looking with a clever playability (most human vehicles can split into separate vehicles or can transform (i.e. 70707).

70701 is maybe one of the best recent set in my opinion regarding its small cost, and it definitely has the feeling of a cool spaceship with clever design.

Each squad also has its color scheme, along with the insects theme and as they all use primary colors it is easy to create new things for one team (except maybe for the blue team for which medium azure is not very common). I will post here in EB some of my GS creations to illustrate.

I'm sad to see that it did not worked well. It really had a mix of nostalgia and good ideas, it only missed a proper base or HQ to be a perfect line for me.

Edited by sweetsha

Of course, it is worth to acquire them especially if you are a Sci-Fi space fan and also able to get these Galaxy Squad sets at a huge discount. I have been seeing some of the sets are clearing at a good discount and there are some sets which are equally impressive. Do get the smallest set or just rack up the polybags. Mid-sized sets like the CLS-89, Star Slicer, etc are some good choices. Otherwise, if you are able to get the Galactic Titan, then that is really awesome.

sweetsha, I agree with you that the Galaxy Squad theme will be perfect if it come with an actual base.

Galaxy Squad line was a must have for me. I'm not into Star Wars sets so I guess I was really happy to see some Space related stuff at last.

The different sets of the line are pretty good-looking with a clever playability (most human vehicles can split into separate vehicles or can transform (i.e. 70707).

70701 is maybe one of the best recent set in my opinion regarding its small cost, and it definitely has the feeling of a cool spaceship with clever design.

Each squad also has its color scheme, along with the insects theme and as they all use primary colors it is easy to create new things for one team (except maybe for the blue team for which medium azure is not very common). I will post here in EB some of my GS creations to illustrate.

I'm sad to see that it did not worked well. It really had a mix of nostalgia and good ideas, it only missed a proper base or HQ to be a perfect line for me.

I'm too surprised it didn't work well on the market. Those sets were discontinued after about one year. I too like the "classic concepts" of Sci-Fi behind the theme.

The insects are also "nice enemies" for dioramas, Mocs, Comics, Brickfilms or any scene you have in mind :)

I ordered 70701 the same day I posted this topic since it seemed a very interesting set regarding design and cost per piece :classic:

I'll give a look at your GS creation very soon :classic:

Of course, it is worth to acquire them especially if you are a Sci-Fi space fan and also able to get these Galaxy Squad sets at a huge discount. I have been seeing some of the sets are clearing at a good discount and there are some sets which are equally impressive. Do get the smallest set or just rack up the polybags. Mid-sized sets like the CLS-89, Star Slicer, etc are some good choices. Otherwise, if you are able to get the Galactic Titan, then that is really awesome.

sweetsha, I agree with you that the Galaxy Squad theme will be perfect if it come with an actual base.

I have to say the Galactic Titan is very tempting :wink: It's nearly impossible to not find a way to use it in some scene/story

I have the impression they were planning more sets but the abruptly discontinued the theme. It's like what happens with those nice Tv series that sadly don't meet certain "critics/rating requirements" and get cancelled despite the fact many persons like them. Just my impression, of course :wink:

Thank you everyone for your advices: they have been very useful :classic:

I received my first three Galaxy Squad sets : 70701, 70705 and 70709 (yes, the mighty Galactic Titan :wink: ) and I really love them!

Thank you everyone for your advices. You really helped me. I'm so pleased I bought them. Now I'm looking around for more GS sets :classic:

I thought GS did quite well at retail? It was a planned 2 wave theme, each wave having the normal one year retail lifespan. I think like most Space themes the human GS centric sets sold much much better than the Alien ones. Something also seen in Alien Conquest. I think the theme probably met or exceeded sales expectations. It was never meant to be a multi year multimedia theme like Ninjago or Chima.

I thought GS did quite well at retail? It was a planned 2 wave theme, each wave having the normal one year retail lifespan. I think like most Space themes the human GS centric sets sold much much better than the Alien ones. Something also seen in Alien Conquest. I think the theme probably met or exceeded sales expectations. It was never meant to be a multi year multimedia theme like Ninjago or Chima.

Personally I wish it was planned to be a multi year theme. Right now Star Wars them is the only Sci-Fi them. I love Star Wars and I love Lego Star Wars theme but sometimes something different would be appreciated :wink:

Anyway is it just me or does the human GS sets have a certain "resemblance" with Mass Effect?

The armors, the helmets, the GS squad logo on human vehicles (I'm looking at 70701 right now) is very similar to the Systems Alliance and Spectre logos.

Just my thought, perhaps it's not an intentional similarity :classic:

Good vehicle designs for the humans and great figures. I'm not a big fan of bug style aliens though. I wish there were more small ships available, as well as bases... Will be tempted to buy more if I see them on a good discount though.

Good vehicle designs for the humans and great figures. I'm not a big fan of bug style aliens though. I wish there were more small ships available, as well as bases... Will be tempted to buy more if I see them on a good discount though.

I have to say I'm quite impressed by the Minifigures' armors. They are very nicely detailed and surely not inferior to the Star Wars armors "counterpart"

Btw back to "Mass Effect resemblance" I mentioned above: the armors have really a similarity with those from Mass Effect. It's enough to look at the details on the back and it's clear :classic: