Sign in to follow this  
Rook

Rated R

Great MOC! I like the use of the log bricks for the hull. However, there are some things you can improve upon:

1. The tiles on the floor are too many different colors, I suggest going with only two or three.

2. The pirates would look better with torsos to fit the theme. :pir-classic:

3. I suggest finishing off the mast.

4. Add some tiles to the edge of the hull so that the studs of the log pieces don't appear.

But a great creation, to be sure!

Great entry for the contest, Rook!

What I like:

The ship is excellent, very innovative! I also like the ramp and the ground area (the tiles). This clearly shows the cruelty of pirates, by both the looting and chaining up the lady naked. :pir-devil:

What could be improved:

There could definitely be more cruelty though, such as a pirate throwing a sailor into the water. Also, the boat seems unfinished on the sides. I know it's just a fragment of the whole ship, but I would suggest smoothing those out with tiles.

Great work, Rook, despite the small things that may need improving. I wish you luck on the contest!

Very good entry Rook! Your ship's hull looks amazing and the "booty" on the mast is a nice touch. :pir-tongue: I also like your cannons a lot. Are they brick-built?

Personally, I like the multicolored tiles as I feel it gives a nice cobblestone look to the ground.

A few things you could improve on are:

1) One thing you could do is to add more pictures, so we can see all of the other details of your MOC. You are allowed up to 6 in your post.

2) I think putting some brown or black tiles on the sides of the hull would give it a much smoother look.

3) Making the mast a little more complete would help the MOC become even better.

4) The torsos you have on the pirates right now look more like knights than pirates. I would go for a pirate torso, or if you don't have any, something rough and tough like that.

Other than these minor points, you've made a wonderful entry! Nice work!

ahah ! that's very well done ! I love your snot ship, and the naked lady is fun^^

too sad you don't have pirate torso, it would be perfect with these!

It's very good. The naked lady? Err, I don't know what to say about that.

Hahahaha. Speechless. In my opinion you need to:

1. Detail the interior of the ship and you won't have to tile the sides.

2. Loose the ropes - their position contradicts usual mooring rope systems.

3. Replace the tiles on the dock with 1x1 tiles of different shades of grey and black. It would just look more cobblestone and random.

4. Change the top deck into a non-SNOT one. that way my next improvement will be easier and I think it would be nice to see some ornamental railing.

5. Don't have the mast directly in the centre and if you do, move the gangplank. They can't walk onto the ship right into a mast!

6. Get rid of one of the boxes on the side of the mast. At the moment, the whole ship looks symetric and I think this would greatly help that.

But I think you did well, especialy by:

1. Making use of log bricks as timber. (I challenge you to make a realistic shaped bow with that method. :pir_laugh2: )

2. Using roof tiles on the dock to make the join smoother.

3. Building awesome swivel canons. They rock!

You really have done a great entry though, and make these improvements and it will be perfect.

Good luck! :pir-classic:

First, thanks for the tips everyone. Sadly I don't have pirate torsos but I'll see what I can do. Also yes the cannons are brick built. Third, it's not a mast but I see how it looks like that (must work on that). Fourth "contradicts usual mooring rope systems" Wow. Ok I'm screwed if you guys are looking at things like that. I get sea sick, so "usual mooring rope systems" is not part of my everyday life. :pir_laugh2: Finally, I'll see if I can clean up the boat and stones for you guys. And yes I've been down many coble streets and stone docks in 3rd world countries before, they do have many shades of color in them. I think in Haiti they even had some human blood. :pir-blush: However that being said I'm off camping for the weekend so look for updates around Monday or Tuesday. Thanks Everyone.

It really is rated Arrrr... Okay enough of my corny jokes. Its really great! I like how you say pillage the whole village because thats what they did.

Nice Job!

Great MOC, Rook! I really like it, although it could use some improvements. The minifigs are great, although they need some torsos, as mentioned before. You should also pick one or two colors for the tiled floors. The side of the boats should be tiled with brown. I still think it need more gruesome stuff in it! Can't wait for the improvements!

My opinion:

Looks like a fine little MOC you have build there.

I like the naked lady that, most probably, gets raped all the time :pir-wub: (they removed her cloaths to make it easier for them when they are drunk again...). BTW: IMHO red hair is the best choice you could have made here :thumbup: .

Possible improvements:

1) GOLD, GOLD, GOLD AND DIAMONDS: man, show us some!

2) I would, as said by Strawberryice1 and others, finish the mast: make it at least high enough to cover the entire photo.

Non-brick related advise:

1) You do not need to listen to all advise. I don't mean it is bad advise, but please make an own determination. Eg. I like the fact you used different colors for your tiles. And you probably did it because you don't have enough of one color anyway, but regardeless: they look just fine! :thumbup: I also haven't got an immediate problem with the torsos you've used.

2) Maybe try to take the first pic from a different angle so the hullbricks that aren't finished don't show.

3) You could add more pics to your thread, they are right about that.

Keep this up and you will get there (to the prizestash, I mean :pir-wink: ).

PS:yeah, I know the smilie up there might feel innapropriate, but hey: at least I AM a real pirate!

Ah, booty in all senses of the word! I cannot think of any criticisms that have not already been made. A well built entry with good figs to say that I cannot see any official LEGO pirates

Good luck with the contest!

Very nice Rook. Great use of those bricks for the ship's hull, and I like the ramp. The floor of the harbor looks too multicolored. Stick with 2 colors.

That "booty in general" comment is disgusting! Anyway, I don't see any cruelness in this scene other than the, um, *cough* woman *cough*. Nice ship though.

Don't MOC On! :jollyroger:

Opinion

This is a very good MOC and I can see you made a side of a pirate ship, very creative. I think you did a terrific job creating the side of the pirate ship using pieces that give it a wood effect. I like how you have a villager tied up to the center of the mast. You used good minifig face expressions for the right jobs of the pirates. I like how you made the cannons on the side of the ship. I think you did a very good job tiling the bottom of your MOC to make it look better. You added a good amount of treasure chests. I can see you put a lot of time and effort into making your MOC.

Possible Improvements

1) I think you could add some blood into your MOC.

2) The water and the land are the same level. I would just raise the water level a tiny bit higher than the land.

3) You could also make the mast higher or semi-finish the mast.

4) To make your MOC more gruesome, you could add a dead villager floating in the water or have a villager being chained up to the side of the ship.

5) On the left side of your ship, I would put some brown tile so it would be smoother.

6) As Erdbeereis1 said, you could change the torsos of the pirates on the right side to pirate torsos because they look like knight torsos.

Non-Brick Related

1) You could add some more pictures of different views.

2) You could add some more of a story plot as of why the pirates are there stealing treasure.

3) In your story description, I would take out the minifig faces.

Overall- You have done great job creating your MOC. A few minor improvements to do, but of then that, it is great. Keep up the good work. I wish you the best of luck!

LegoKing

Ah very good advice. I have lots to do in the next few days and weeks I'll try to fix 'er up a little before the contest closes. Arrrg!

I like the ship hull, and the useage of faces and hair. The torso seem a bit plain/generic but otherwise i think that its prety good.